Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Southgate Stays

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Not a surprise, not like he’d walk into a job of a similar calibre and it’s clear the players love him

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
He had to really. The players, FA and media love him and there isn’t really much of an anti sentiment amongst many fans. He’s ok, I’m not bothered either way as not much of an England fan anyway but I can’t remember an England manager being this universally tolerated despite his tactical failings.

Plus, there really isn’t any other option.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I do enjoy (The Guardians) Barry Glendenning's take on the position.

Give the job to Jose Maureen, have him win a trophy, then re-employ Southgate to put the whole thing back together again after Maureen has scorched all the earth.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Hardly the surprise of the century.

His contract runs to the end of the next Euros which are only 18 months away. It's his last crack at a major trophy (that he's come closer to winning than any other manager in over 55 years) and he can probably move to a cushy FA job after that if we fail or a well paying EPL job if he wins it.

Meanwhile, one of Potter or Smeddie may be on the dole by then or Carsley may have had enough experience with the U21s to step up. And hopefully Colleen will have taken Wayne off to permanent retirement in the Caribbean and Gerrard will have a cushy job at Port Vale when it comes to looking for a successor.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Not a surprise, not like he’d walk into a job of a similar calibre and it’s clear the players love him
The out of form players picked every match regardless love him - no wonder they begged him to stay. He's developed a real clique that's hard for others to break into (See Ben White for example). No other manager would constantly pick players like Mount, Maguire and Sterling when they are doing absolutely nothing week in, week out.

I guess I will continue to support Ecuador over England

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Only sensible decision to let him decide for himself, and if he has the energy and motivation go for another 2/4 years then why not really... If there was some super-duper exciting, available replacement around then sure you could at least argue for a change, I suppose... But when the only really likely option would be Steven Gerrard, it just doesn't feel sensible to rush a change.

Maybe GP or Howe will be available then but due to their lack of experience from tournaments like this it would certainly be a big chance to pick any of them. Very difficult to get it right with amount of training etc. in your first tournament... hence why many teams nowadays go for previous U21 national team managers.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Fine with me.

And I don't even like him.

Come on, blow-hards, what would have (sorry, of) been a better option?

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I for one is glad. If GS left, i think Tod Bohley would try and push Potter forward for the job, that way he can please the Chelsea fans and get them back onside.

Potter staying at Chelsea could be fun, just for the meltdown of the fans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here