Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I have a noon interview in the City tomorrow. I'd imagine it'll be a struggle getting up there via Brighton.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Working from home.....expecting rail carnage later once the strike starts and can't be bothered with it

yeah me too - rearranged my week around it - why have the stress when not needed - its the unpredictability of everything. Probably need to rest the legs too!

Love the SASTA advice - don't travel unless essential but we'll only compensate Season Ticket Holders on severely disrupted routes - could they make it more ambiguous?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
yeah me too - rearranged my week around it - why have the stress when not needed - its the unpredictability of everything. Probably need to rest the legs too!

Love the SASTA advice - don't travel unless essential but we'll only compensate Season Ticket Holders on severely disrupted routes - could they make it more ambiguous?

It means you'll get f**k all refunded as it is ALL going in our shareholders pockets

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Those that have travelled, how was it this morning?. Would appreciate any updates/views before I decide whether to go in tomorrow.

the strike is 11am today to 11am tomorrow. so this morning is no real guide as trains are supposedly running normally (until 11ish, maybe an hour before as shifts start?). tomorrow morning there will be carngage, as there will be this evening for those trying to get back.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
the strike is 11am today to 11am tomorrow. so this morning is no real guide as trains are supposedly running normally (until 11ish, maybe an hour before as shifts start?). tomorrow morning there will be carngage, as there will be this evening for those trying to get back.

The trains will run NORMALISH as SASTA can do till the early afternoon when the early shift guards clock off

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Working from home.....expecting rail carnage later once the strike starts and can't be bothered with it

Same. Normally wfh Thurs & Fri but changed to today and tomorrow. Will probably still blag wfh on Friday though.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Drove from Brighton to gatwick and got half empty gatwick express to Victoria from there. Hardly any slower or more expensive than usual (including short-term parking)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
and people think getting rid of guards, closing all ticket offices and having DOO 12 car trains will miraculously result in a PERFECT journey each and every day

Won't make it any worse though, as we're starting from a low point WITH guards.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Won't make it any worse though, as we're starting from a low point WITH guards.

Yes it will. Add EVEN more delays as drivers will have to deal with all the emergency alarms blocking the line, delays whilst the driver deals with disabled passengers getting on and off, delays whilst the driver attends to fights, passengers being taken sick, assaults etc whilst there will be no one to deal with ticket/onward travel enquiries or to give passengers any sort of service updates (because the driver won't know). Just because you may not see the guard dealing with these thing doesn't mean they aren't doing it.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
WFH. I think i will get *some* compensation as my ticket is from Cooksbridge - Cooksbridge/Plumpton stations are closed tomorrow and wednesday as the HH > Lewes line is suspended.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yes it will. Add EVEN more delays as drivers will have to deal with all the emergency alarms blocking the line, delays whilst the driver deals with disabled passengers getting on and off, delays whilst the driver attends to fights, passengers being taken sick, assaults etc whilst there will be no one to deal with ticket/onward travel enquiries or to give passengers any sort of service updates (because the driver won't know). Just because you may not see the guard dealing with these thing doesn't mean they aren't doing it.

Slightly OT, but based on the poor level of service that is currently received, there must be plenty of delays or they just aren't very good.

Sorry, but the rail service in the South is appalling. I would be happier if they lost the license and we started again.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
We had an odd one the other day as a result of there being no guards on the thameslink trains. There are no staff on the platform at PP and the cameras on the train that they use to check the platform had stopped working, the decision was taken to not stop at any unattended stations. More than just a little bit annoying particularly as they only care to mention it a couple of minutes before the train is due. WFH today.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

How in general do the drivers feel about how the guards are being treated (my understanding is it's only conductors taking action) ? If they are sympathetic, I can see massive delays occurring going forward for the reasons you state as the drivers do everything 'by the book'

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

But if their role is so important then they should be trying to garner public support for their cause ..... instead they are doing the exact opposite and pissing everyone off./

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
How in general do the drivers feel about how the guards are being treated (my understanding is it's only conductors taking action) ? If they are sympathetic, I can see massive delays occurring going forward for the reasons you state as the drivers do everything 'by the book'
Next up will possibly be drivers striking on different days to guards ( at least that is a rumour that has been mooted ).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Next up will possibly be drivers striking on different days to guards, is a rumour that has been mooted.

Nice of them all to do it as the weather improves anyway................every cloud and all that.......but feel sorry for those that can't work from home and have no option but to either brave the crowds or take leave. It sucks.

I don't have any inside knowledge, but assuming SASTA treat their staff like they treat their customers, it's no wonder things are as they are.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here