Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
the procedure for a evacuation is to not do so until power off and support team arrives, and all the other scenarios can be addressed by an on board supervisor. all the letter from RMT has shown is how they dont want a job spec change to include ticket checking, something i and most people probably thought was a core part of the guards role anyway.

Of course guards already sell tickets. Read the letter again to understand what GTR want them to do with tickets now. In any case, everyone knows that changing the guards to non safety critical will mean the next stage will be to remove them from trains completely - that's why for your safety this has to be fought now.

Last edited:

synavm

May 2, 2013
Is this still going ahead? And realistically am I going to be able to get home to Haywards Heath from Victoria tomorrow?

Briefly read about the need to strike and on the most part I agree with the case being put forward by the RMT Union, though it is frustrating on a selfish level, particularly with the way it's being timed. I also hope Govia will honour delay repay for this.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Absolutely ZERO sympathy. Two days out with 5 days notice is unacceptable. Get back to the negotiating table, tens of thousands of people will be unable to get to work....

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
"An OVERWHELMING response" ??
So how many of these Jeremy Corbyn lickspittles actually voted - 10, 20 maybe 30 ?

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Anyone else noticed how much more our tickets have been checked recently? Twice this morning already when it used to be once a week if the guard could be bothered.....

The SASTA guard on my train this morning also launched into a five minute diatribe about doors being closed as a train attachment was made. Interestingly we were then stuck at Three Bridges for 10 minutes and no explanation at all was given as to why.....

Like other posters on here I have been commuting for many years. Over that time I have seen a guard go and hide in the loo at Three Bridges while a train was delayed, a guard cancel a train because he wasn't sure where the driver was (we all got on again when he realised he was just walking up the platform) a guard delay a train for 10 minutes in the middle of a level crossing to check a door (10 minutes!) etc.....

I also remember the story of city fund manger who got way with just swiping his Oyster card at Cannon St for years while travelling from Crowborough I think it was. Great ticket checking skills there.

I think SASTA could do without that sort of thing tbh.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I do find it somewhat ironic that people who have nothing but contempt for the way Southern run their train services are all suddenly coming on here and saying how right they are in getting rid of guards (for that is what they are effectively doing). So are all you commuters now supporting Southern and assuming they are doing this for all the right reasons - seriously?

D

Deleted User X18H

They can run the DOO fast Victoria trains though can't they ?
How will this affect the service for Derby? Last months ooh the drama

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I do find it somewhat ironic that people who have nothing but contempt for the way Southern run their train services are all suddenly coming on here and saying how right they are in getting rid of guards (for that is what they are effectively doing). So are all you commuters now supporting Southern and assuming they are doing this for all the right reasons - seriously?

Totally missed the point.

We are complaining because of the strike and the amount of disruption it is causing. Any validity of the guards' case is undermined by the fact they have decided to strike by causing the maximum amount of disruption to commuters.

And a union leader "congratulating" their members on the vote sends the wrong message - implying militancy. Mick Cash is not exactly middle of the road in his political views.

I don't have the option to strike - I would lose my job. Have things happened at work I have disagreed with? Yes, but I haven't set out to deliberately to disrupt the lives of my customers........

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
"the passengers who we as Conductors take delight in helping..." [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] 2016

Bought tears to my eyes.

I have only just stopped laughing.

Do you actually travel on the railways [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] ? I mean, as a normal fare paying member of the public? Have you tried the experience?

I support the need for guards. I just want ones that do a good job.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

We are complaining because of the strike and the amount of disruption it is causing. Any validity of the guards' case is undermined by the fact they have decided to strike by causing the maximum amount of disruption to commuters.

And a union leader "congratulating" their members on the vote sends the wrong message - implying militancy. Mick Cash is not exactly middle of the road in his political views.

I don't have the option to strike - I would lose my job. Have things happened at work I have disagreed with? Yes, but I haven't set out to deliberately to disrupt the lives of my customers........

Maybe you need a union to back you up in your job. Look I have honestly no great love for unions but sometimes you have to stand up and fight for what you believe in. I don't know any other way the guards could fight - GTR have already said it doesn't matter what they do, they will be implementing the changes so in the face of that there is nothing to discuss. I have a huge amount of sympathy for passengers both generally and tomorrow but im afraid sometimes hard decisions need to be taken. I just don't know what else the guards could have done in this circumstance.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013

Just because you have contempt for something doesn't mean you should support something that tries to undermine them just for the sake of it. Otherwise we'd all be backing ISIS over Assad

Fact is Southern is a shit company but taking joy from delivering a strike and disrupting thousands of people from an already shit service is pathetic

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
So the second and third ones basically amount to a four days of chaos - trains screwed up from 11am on the Tuesday to 11am on the Wednesday, which will then take so long to sort out and get right (displaced trains and crew etc...) that normal service will probably take until the Thursday morning to kick in at which point it all goes tits again and screws the rest of Thursday and no doubt all of the Friday with similar post-strike disorganisation.

Utter piss-take.

Agreed. reading Cash's letter again, he also seems particularly pleased with himself to have organised a strike to 'protect jobs, conditions and safety' (presumably in that order). His smug-sounding 'up the workers' stuff doesn't help engender any support, on top of the extent of the action.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

absolutely, they have impacted passengers as much as possible, presumably in order for them to complain to Southern. people will have to take four days off as holiday or unpaid leave, or try to battle the traffic during the second phase of this action. it will work against them as people will go from sympathetic to their cause to outrage of the impact.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Can't they stick a few of the unwanted guards into the drivers cab to push the buttons?

That might help with all the all-too-familiar 'SASTA the xx:xx service to xxxxxxx is cancelled due to the lack of train crew'.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Apologies for this but I'm a bit confused about what is running and what isn't. I have checked this site which seems quite clear (ish)

http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/st...et-to-cause-serious-disruption-for-commuters/

But the Brighton to London Bridge service and vice versa isn't mentioned. Is that running as normal? And also I notice that they state there is a limited service on the Brighton to Worthing line up to 6.30pm. Does that mean business as usual thereafter or no service thereafter.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Apologies for this but I'm a bit confused about what is running and what isn't. I have checked this site which seems quite clear (ish)

http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/st...et-to-cause-serious-disruption-for-commuters/

But the Brighton to London Bridge service and vice versa isn't mentioned. Is that running as normal? And also I notice that they state there is a limited service on the Brighton to Worthing line up to 6.30pm. Does that mean business as usual thereafter or no service thereafter.

Is that because the Brighton to LB are Thameslink not Southern and are running normally (but will be crazily busy)

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Is that because the Brighton to LB are Thameslink not Southern and are running normally (but will be crazily busy)

That would explain it. I usually get the Thameslink to St Pancras but annoyingly need to get to Stratford on Tuesday and Wednesday. I might just get the tube from Blackfriars and avoid London Bridge like the plague.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I did chuckle when reading all those that have posted about the strike bringing as much impact to passengers as possible.

I would have thought that commuters would have welcomed the certainty of the strike. No trains will run late, no missed connections you will know with certainty that there will be on service. Unlike the usual game of guess whether the train will run, will it stop short of the destination due to earlier problems, or where will the train stop between stations for a length of time due to 1 of 83 standard reasons for being delayed.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC

Basically there will be no southern service (and I think that Gatwick express trains starting from Brighton are affected too although haven't seen that confirmed anywhere) so the thameslink trains will be heaving but running

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here