Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Those being *cough* 'grilled'...

TBC, Govia Thameslink Railway
Phil Hufton, Managing Director, England and Wales, Network Rail
Jaqueline Starr, Managing Director, Customer Experience, Association of Train Operating Companies
Richard Scott, Executive Director of Corporate Affairs, Virgin Trains
Claire Perry MP, Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Transport, Department for Transport
Peter Wilkinson, Managing Director, Passenger Services, Department for Transport

Members of the Transport Select Committee

Mrs Louise Ellman (Chair) - Labour (Co-op)
Robert Flello - Labour
Mary Glindon - Labour
Karl McCartney - Conservative
Stewart Malcolm McDonald - Scottish National Party
Mark Menzies - Conservative
Huw Merriman - Conservative
Will Quince - Conservative
Iain Stewart - Conservative
Graham Stringer - Labour
Martin Vickers - Conservative

Rob Flello,Stoke-on-Toilet South and clueless.

biddles911

May 12, 2014
A thought occurred to me this morning. I'll get my commuting credentials out of the way first - daily to East Croydon for over 9 years, the last 6 years from Seaford (so the added guantlet of making a connecting train at Lewes which I haven't done successfully for 3 weeks) - the whole conductor shutting the door thing - firstly I should say I have read this thread, all the leaks on twitter etc and consider myself to be well informed about the situation. I am also very much in favour of keeping the conductors as they are.

I know its a long term strategy to take conductors off the trains, on to platforms to close ticket offices etc, we all know the well rehearsed "no one will lose pay, there will still be a presence on the train" etc but has anybody actually said to them "How many tickets are going unsold and how many questions are going unanswered while the conductor safely closes the door?!

Let's see, everyone gets off and on, the conductor checks the length of the train from the platform, get's on board, locks the door, rings the bell thing to the driver and off we go - all of what, 90 seconds on average per station? Is it more detrimental to customers not having a conductor walk up and down constantly for the full journey asking if anyone wants to buy a ticket or having him or her otherwise engaged for a combined 10 mins of the journey so they can open and close doors safely?

You must be the only person on this thread who ever sees a conductor patrolling the train, checking and issuing tickets, and assisting customers.

Certainly (virtually) never happens on the trains I use (Worthing to Victoria every week if you want my commuter credentials).

Guess it must be all the scary hooligans on my route that keeps them hiding in their compartment.......?!

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Now according to Crowther on R4 on Friday not one conductor will lose their job in the companies plan to introduce DOO trains and i believe Southern employs in the region of 450 such personel ? So what are they going to do ?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Now according to Crowther on R4 on Friday not one conductor will lose their job in the companies plan to introduce DOO trains and i believe Southern employs in the region of 450 such personel ? So what are they going to do ?

Deal with complaints and Delay Repay claims?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Just received this...

Dear Biscuit,
I apologise profusely for the disruption caused to you by this week's RMT strike action, which comes on top of ongoing high levels of train cancellations, and I know that this is having a totally unacceptable impact on your journeys.
Once again, this strike was completely unnecessary, and follows recent weeks when you have suffered the consequences of unprecedented levels of sickness absence amongst many of our employees.
To be absolutely clear, we are not removing staff from our trains. Under our plans, everyone who wants a job will have one, no one will suffer any cut in salary, and more of you will benefit from more visible staff entirely focused on customer service onboard your train. We are simply seeking, on our more modern trains, for the responsibility to close train doors to move to our drivers. This is a proven safe method of operation that's already in use across 40% of Southern train services.
We continue to engage directly with employees to implement the evolved role from August 2016, which will in due course improve both the reliability and quality of your Southern service.
Please be sure to claim any compensation that you may be entitled to, including strike compensation and enhanced compensation. Further details are available online at southernrailway.com/compensation. Please also continue to check our website for the latest information on planned strikes.
My sincere apologies for the impact that this strike disruption and the service we are presently offering is having on you, your family and your plans.
Yours sincerely,

Charles Horton
Chief Executive Officer

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Just received this...

Dear Biscuit,
I apologise profusely for the disruption caused to you by this week's RMT strike action, which comes on top of ongoing high levels of train cancellations, and I know that this is having a totally unacceptable impact on your journeys.
Once again, this strike was completely unnecessary, and follows recent weeks when you have suffered the consequences of unprecedented levels of sickness absence amongst many of our employees.
To be absolutely clear, we are not removing staff from our trains. Under our plans, everyone who wants a job will have one, no one will suffer any cut in salary, and more of you will benefit from more visible staff entirely focused on customer service onboard your train. We are simply seeking, on our more modern trains, for the responsibility to close train doors to move to our drivers. This is a proven safe method of operation that's already in use across 40% of Southern train services.
We continue to engage directly with employees to implement the evolved role from August 2016, which will in due course improve both the reliability and quality of your Southern service.
Please be sure to claim any compensation that you may be entitled to, including strike compensation and enhanced compensation. Further details are available online at southernrailway.com/compensation. Please also continue to check our website for the latest information on planned strikes.
My sincere apologies for the impact that this strike disruption and the service we are presently offering is having on you, your family and your plans.
Yours sincerely,

Charles Horton
Chief Executive Officer

You're NOT special, everyone on Southern's mailing list has got one

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Just received this...

Dear Biscuit,
Yours sincerely,

Charles Horton
Chief Executive Officer

They called you Biscuit! Christ that's a bit over familiar. Mine was addressed to my proper name :lolol:

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Was supposed to be going to a conference in Victoria but that doesn't look worth the effort now, into the office then:annoyed:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
This better be clear by this afternoon. On my way back from York at lunchtime and need to vote !

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I think I'm going to make it in. It's getting home I'm worried about. I want to vote as well and think I might have to leave at lunchtime.

On another note, the vile nasty little company that Southern is, has forced the closure of the refreshment kiosk at my home station Barnham. They want to hike the rent and increase the proportion of takings. Why? The guy was just providing a regular service to us commuters, the amounts of money involved are minimal.

Horrible vile shitty company

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
You must be the only person on this thread who ever sees a conductor patrolling the train, checking and issuing tickets, and assisting customers.

Certainly (virtually) never happens on the trains I use (Worthing to Victoria every week if you want my commuter credentials).

Guess it must be all the scary hooligans on my route that keeps them hiding in their compartment.......?!

It does happen regularly on Coastway East and West.

The conductor would make his/her rounds regularly once we'd passed Falmer on the way to Lewes and beyond. He needed to sell tickets as the machine at London Road was often out of order.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here