Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

synavm

May 2, 2013
Left work an hour early and didn't have any problem. For me at least the service was better than it usually is.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Still got 43 cancellations today up to 2pm even with no Conductors working and an emergency timetable

You really do sound pleased to give the bad news out....Would you be dissappointed if dispute settled and passengers got what they deserve??

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Good Article??....Or total one sided rubbish ??

Do you actually agree with DOO trains ? I certainly don't as there has been times when the guard has had to take action on a train on which either myself or family have been travelling. The clue is driver and i want the driver to be looking at the track ahead and not CCTV to the rear whether the train is moving or not.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
****ing idiots don't do themselves any favours do they!

From http://www.southernrailway.com/sout...morrow/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Service update from southern and advice for tomorrow

Date: 21 Jun 2016

PASSENGERS URGED TO CHECK BEFORE THEY TRAVEL TOMORROWSERVICES RUNNING AS PLANNED: NEARLY 90% ON-TIME • RMT CONFIRM JOBS NOT AT RISKINDEPENDENT SAFETY BODY CONFIRM SAFETY NOT AT RISK FROM DOO

18:00, TUESDAY 21 JUNE 2016

Over 87% of services on the strike-affected Southern network have run to time so far today. Southern will be returning to its normal timetable tomorrow (Thursday) but some services may run with fewer carriages than normal because trains will be out of their normal position because of today’s strike.

Worrying that they haven't figured out that Wednesday follows Tuesday.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
This made me smile.

"Even though its always free for me. The joys of train travel on a jammed to the ceiling train from manchester to lancaster.sardines in a hot tin.due to hundreds of shit faced scots going home from the stone roses gig.squashed for an hour against door among 6 pissed up scots sitting on a crate of beer.kept anouncing ganning for a pisshh.cheers for that.4 poor young 15 yr old lads got the full force.they were sitting at table.with tubes of pringle potato chips and ribena.the biggest mouth said to them.got any buckfast lads.to my american friends this is the scots down and outs cheap cider of choice.young lad said.no but you can have some chips.the scot said.you wont loose your virginity eating them son infull earshot of the whole train.lad went red faced.the scot said swap your pringles for twenty benson and hedges put hairs on your chest. They are full tar cigarettes for those who dont know.the best was yet to come. One of the young lads brave as a lion said. You must be bored with nothing to do you scots while the rest of britain is at the euro soccer tournament. Reply. Watch it you little shite.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Do you actually agree with DOO trains ? I certainly don't as there has been times when the guard has had to take action on a train on which either myself or family have been travelling. The clue is driver and i want the driver to be looking at the track ahead and not CCTV to the rear whether the train is moving or not.

Not sure either way but with the prospect of driverless cars on the road perhaps the future is unmanned trains. A vehicle on tracks is surely easier to run driverless than one that runs on roads !!!!

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Over the course of the last few days, I have had cause to use Southeastern, Virgin Trains and Northern Rail - of course I appreciate that I have spent very limited time on each compared to my experiences of SASTA, but the one thing which has been notable to me on all three (besides the novelty of trains actually running when they're supposed to) are the standards of customer service.

On all three, I've encountered nothing but polite, friendly, knowledgable staff who seem to actually take a pride in doing their jobs to a good standard. Now, I don't doubt that all the aforesaid companies have their share of miserable git staff as does any company, but the difference between the people I've encountered and the general standards of staff (not, by any means, all staff - there are good ones on SASTA too) on SASTA services is like chalk and cheese.

You'd get that on SASTA trains if the company hadn't put so much time and effort into destroying staff morale, screwing up services, blaming the wrong people, and feeding the media and customers with untruths about the reasons - all the while with uncertainties hanging over them.

What did you expect?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
You'd get that on SASTA trains if the company hadn't put so much time and effort into destroying staff morale, screwing up services, blaming the wrong people, and feeding the media and customers with untruths about the reasons - all the while with uncertainties hanging over them.

What did you expect?

I agree entirely.

I wonder how far SASTA have to push their staff before people start looking for other employment options - I wouldn't blame any of them in the slightest for doing so.

However, I've generally found SASTA customer service to be below what I'd generally expect from a service provider, even before all this farce started. That they have never seemed to be interested in training their staff in how to treat customers is just another black mark on them as a company in my view.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Not sure either way but with the prospect of driverless cars on the road perhaps the future is unmanned trains. A vehicle on tracks is surely easier to run driverless than one that runs on roads !!!!

Will happen but not for another 25 years or more, going to take them until 2032 to do in cab signalling from Brighton to London. (Other places will get it sooner)
The railway doesn't move very fast.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

in some ten years or so commuting on Southern, Metro and mainline, id say it hasnt changed much. theres good and bad, guards seem to be mostly helpful and pleasant, station staff generaly a bit poorer with some downright unhelpful. so i dont think its the current saga, there's a general lack of "customer service" ethos. but being a commuter it washes over mostly, maybe its a London thing.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
That seems to be the big issue at the moment. I think only once since all this started has my usual 6.30 GE to Victoria been affected, so getting to London has never been a problem. It is just getting home when the problems start.

I got home fine (hove via Brighton) . Better than the current normal (shat) service

Jul 7, 2003
My wife was trying to travel from Worthing to Brighton last night on the train to meet me in Brighton. She got to Worthing just after 6pm to find that the next few trains had been cancelled so there were no trains heading east until at least 7:10pm.

Needless to say, she gave up and drove over instead.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Finally! :clap2:

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1457...lled_by_parliamentary_committee_over_service/

Train bosses to be grilled by parliamentary committee over service

TRAIN bosses will be called before a parliamentary committee to answer questions over its service.

Executives from Govia Thameslink Railway - which runs Southern as well as Gatwick Express and Thameslink services - will appear in front of the Transport Select Committee on Monday.

Train bosses will face 11 MPs on Monday including the member for Bexhill and Battle, Huw Merriman.

Lewes MP Maria Caulfield welcomed the news and has asked complaints from constituents form part of the evidence presented during the hearing.

Hastings Borough Council leader Peter Chowney also demanded action from Southern's management yesterday to end the dispute over jobs and passenger safety with its conductors who oppose a move to driver-only operated trains.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1457...lled_by_parliamentary_committee_over_service/

TRAIN bosses will be called before a parliamentary committee to answer questions over its service.

Executives from Govia Thameslink Railway - which runs Southern as well as Gatwick Express and Thameslink services - will appear in front of the Transport Select Committee on Monday.

Train bosses will face 11 MPs on Monday including the member for Bexhill and Battle, Huw Merriman.

Lewes MP Maria Caulfield welcomed the news and has asked complaints from constituents form part of the evidence presented during the hearing.

Hastings Borough Council leader Peter Chowney also demanded action from Southern's management yesterday to end the dispute over jobs and passenger safety with its conductors who oppose a move to driver-only operated trains.

Those being *cough* 'grilled'...

TBC, Govia Thameslink Railway
Phil Hufton, Managing Director, England and Wales, Network Rail
Jaqueline Starr, Managing Director, Customer Experience, Association of Train Operating Companies
Richard Scott, Executive Director of Corporate Affairs, Virgin Trains
Claire Perry MP, Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Transport, Department for Transport
Peter Wilkinson, Managing Director, Passenger Services, Department for Transport

Members of the Transport Select Committee

Mrs Louise Ellman (Chair) - Labour (Co-op)
Robert Flello - Labour
Mary Glindon - Labour
Karl McCartney - Conservative
Stewart Malcolm McDonald - Scottish National Party
Mark Menzies - Conservative
Huw Merriman - Conservative
Will Quince - Conservative
Iain Stewart - Conservative
Graham Stringer - Labour
Martin Vickers - Conservative

albionite

May 20, 2009

We all know what will happen gtr will tell them it's all the nasty drivers fault as they will not work their rest days and the MPs will go home happy saying what a grilling they gave them. Until they look deeper into the lies nothing will change.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
We all know what will happen gtr will tell them it's all the nasty drivers fault as they will not work their rest days and the MPs will go home happy saying what a grilling they gave them. Until they look deeper into the lies nothing will change.

Exactly, unless an MP has done his homework and asks about staffing levels etc then it is a waste of time

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Exactly, unless an MP has done his homework and asks about staffing levels etc then it is a waste of time

Well let's hope that an MP has done just that, and that GTR trip themselves up over their sustained campaign of disinformation. Suspect Claire Perry will flounder also.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here