Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Friday night ..trains from London Bridge to Btn or Hove
16.57 cancelled
17.40 cancelled
17.57 Cancelled
18.10 Cancelled
18 23 ( Eastbourne ) Cancelled
18.42 Thameslink ran but left 15 mins late.

Friday night was carnage.

How Horton is still in a job I don't know. My suspicion is he is doing dirty work for the government in taking on the unions. Claire Perry the rail minister shows no signs of truly taking GTR to task.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
How Horton is still in a job I don't know. My suspicion is he is doing dirty work for the government in taking on the unions.

Horton's too busy kicking around his iceberg lettuce, I'll let you know

But really its shocking - I find it frustrating they can get away with this current mess

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Friday night was carnage.

How Horton is still in a job I don't know. My suspicion is he is doing dirty work for the government in taking on the unions. Claire Perry the rail minister shows no signs of truly taking GTR to task.

Absolutely, he is singularly failing to deliver a functioning service, and what's worse he does not appear to be remotely interested in trying to provide one. The staff shortages and the train stock failures are all things he can do something about and yet chooses not too.

The pre-prepared cancellations are now becoming the new normal, I really pity those who have to rely on the coastway east and west services who are bing royally screwed at the moment.

It is quite clear that Horton and GTR could not give a f**k about passengers, it is incredible that they are getting such an easy ride from the government.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Union says it has proof Southern Railway lied about cancelled services

A fresh row over staffing on the railways has broken out after a union said it had “conclusive evidence” that a leading train operator was deliberately cancelling services and blaming staff sickness.

The Rail, Maritime and Transport union (RMT) has written to the managing director of Southern Railway accusing the company of “lying” to passengers over the reasons for a spate of cancellations in recent weeks.

The union quoted two examples it claimed showed how Southern was trying to shift the “scandal of short-staffing and managerial incompetence” onto frontline workers.

The letter says a driver and guard were available to work the 7.10am Brighton to Lewes on 1 June, and arrived, in good time, only to find the train was showing as cancelled due to a shortage of train crew.

The second example involved a Twitter response from Southern to a passenger saying a train had been cancelled due to a shortage of guards, when the line used driver-only trains.

Source (and more): http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...outhern-railway-lied-about-cancelled-services

albionite

May 20, 2009
Union says it has proof Southern Railway lied about cancelled services

A fresh row over staffing on the railways has broken out after a union said it had “conclusive evidence” that a leading train operator was deliberately cancelling services and blaming staff sickness.

The Rail, Maritime and Transport union (RMT) has written to the managing director of Southern Railway accusing the company of “lying” to passengers over the reasons for a spate of cancellations in recent weeks.

The union quoted two examples it claimed showed how Southern was trying to shift the “scandal of short-staffing and managerial incompetence” onto frontline workers.

The letter says a driver and guard were available to work the 7.10am Brighton to Lewes on 1 June, and arrived, in good time, only to find the train was showing as cancelled due to a shortage of train crew.

The second example involved a Twitter response from Southern to a passenger saying a train had been cancelled due to a shortage of guards, when the line used driver-only trains.

Source (and more): http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...outhern-railway-lied-about-cancelled-services

Surprised they have only leaked 2.

Suppose more will be coming out in next few weeks, rmt will have to go it alone while aslef have been silenced.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Friday night ..trains from London Bridge to Btn or Hove
16.57 cancelled
17.40 cancelled
17.57 Cancelled
18.10 Cancelled
18 23 ( Eastbourne ) Cancelled
18.42 Thameslink ran but left 15 mins late.

I only had to get from Portslade to Shoreham on Friday for my son's football presentation evening. It was held almost next to Shoreham station and there was a bar so we'd originally said we'd take the train. When the fatality happened at East Worthing I should have changed plans and driven / got the bus / a sherbert. The reason I didn't was that the National Rail app was showing three trains, all running with no delays that I could use to get there. I figured one might end up cancelled but that still left me a choice of two.

Two were cancelled about a minute before they were due, the third was well over 10 minutes late, as was I. That's for a four mile journey FFS.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
They've been running fine all day... hit evening rush hour and it has gone to shit.

16.17 Victoria to Littlehampton is running fast from Haywards Heath to Worthing/Littlehampton to make up time. Ironically, we are slow since we got to Shoreham as we are stuck behind a stopping service !

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
1900 GX to Brighton is 5 carriages short and the air con is ****ed. Deep joy.

At least whoever is making the announcements is sounding vaguely sympathetic.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Remember, anyone heading to London Bridge on Wednesday between 7.30 and 9.30, there's a 'Meet the manager' session. I've no doubt it'll be pulled though.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Absolute ****ing joke tonight. The 1800 is my usual "aimed for" train but sometime due to slow tube I end up on the 18:15. Fortunately I have a sympathetic boss who allowed me to leave a little early to absolutely make sure I got the 18:00

trains.jpg

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Southern need their franchise removed from them, then we should see some sort of improvement.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
Kudos to our driver. He announced that he wasn't going to apologise on behalf of GTR as "he'd heard their reasons for tonight's terrible service, and the excuses don't wash". He then gave a short personal apology, and sounded genuinely sincere.

S

smileyweb

My train left on time and arrived on time this morning. Was like some kind of miracle..

Same here. Well, 4 mins late arriving, so still pretty miraculous.

All back to standard SNAFU status on the way home, though...

Jul 7, 2003
Statistics and Lies - part 2

For those that don't commute, a regular look at the Delays/Cancellations pages within the Live Service Info would be quite comical if it wasn't for the fact that people are being inconvenienced.

They manage to apologise for trains having more carriages due to a lack of train crew which is an interesting spin on things. Some of the trains now 'running' are laughable attempts at keeping the figures up. The Arun Valley line seems to have the worst of it. I have seen Horsham to Victoria services that start at East Croydon and Victoria to Bognor trains that start at Barnham. I am assuming that even if the train only runs part of its route then it still counts as a service and if it manages to run from Barnham to Bognor on time, that also helps the stats.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

For those that don't commute, a regular look at the Delays/Cancellations pages within the Live Service Info would be quite comical if it wasn't for the fact that people are being inconvenienced.

They manage to apologise for trains having more carriages due to a lack of train crew which is an interesting spin on things. Some of the trains now 'running' are laughable attempts at keeping the figures up. The Arun Valley line seems to have the worst of it. I have seen Horsham to Victoria services that start at East Croydon and Victoria to Bognor trains that start at Barnham. I am assuming that even if the train only runs part of its route then it still counts as a service and if it manages to run from Barnham to Bognor on time, that also helps the stats.

Fortunately that sort of thing has never happened to me, but I hear it often enough at Victoria. "The 17 something service from Victoria to somewhere else will now start at East Croydon" I mean seriously, WTF !!!

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom

They cancel the Southampton to Victoria trains with great alacrity. Think they do occasionally start/finish them at Barnham, so like you say, it's probably figure-massaging.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here