Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
There seem to be good arguments put by both sides. If the proposed changes take place does this mean lower fares for passengers as the savings can presumably be passed on?

I've heard that Ryanair are considering flights without co-pilots. Is this a logical extension of what appears to be happening on the rail network or a cost-cutting exercise too far?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Statistics and Lies - lack of train crew cancels services. We have seen plenty of these announcements.

As it is the school holidays, Mrs DCH took our daughter to Brighton on the train today to do some shopping. Journey back was a bit of a nightmare because of the fatality at East Worthing - sadly these things happen.

However, her journey to Brighton was comical. She took the Victoria bound train from West Worthing to Hove and dutifully crossed the platform to get the shuttle to Brighton. This was then announced as being cancelled due to a lack of train crew. The passengers were a little bemused but not as much as the driver and guard who were already on the train! The driver made a point of telling everyone that they were there and ready to go. He tried to call someone to find out the status of the service as nobody had told him it was cancelled. After about 15 minutes, he shouted down the platform for all the passengers to board as he was going to take the train to Brighton anyway.

When something like this happens, SASTA deserve all the criticism heading their way as it shows their contempt for the fare paying public.

I saw a cancelled Ashford International to Brighton train pass through Bexhill yesterday with a conductor on board.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
And there you have it - what we have to contend with every day. Some on here still don't believe this whole mess is down to Southern incompetence and prefer to blame drivers and guards.

Ok.

You have just made my blood boil. I have said earlier on this thread that I think each side or culpable but when you come up with garbage like this I really feel I have to say something.

It took me three and a half hours to get from Victoria to Barnham last night. I waited for over an hour at East Croydon for a train and got on one that was half an hour late. It was short formation, packed and I had to stand. There was not one word of explanation or apology from the guard just inane comments about having your ticket ready for the barrier at Gatwick. We then stopped at Three Bridges for 10 unexplained minutes - again nothing from the guard.

The train usually splits at Horsham, front half fast to Barnham and on to Portsmouth, second half stopping Dow the Arun Valley to Bognor. The first anyone heard the train hadn't split was when we got to Chridt Hospital because the train stopped. The guard said nothing and no announcement was made about where the train was actually going - she must have been aware something was up because people would have been running up the train to make the platform.

Because it was a Friday night there were a lot of families and non commuters on the train. It was left to us regulars to tell these people the train wouldn't be going to Portsmouth. I knew it would kick off at Barnham and it did. Why? Because the guard had said absolutely nothing about the train not going to its original destination on the journey from Horsham and unless you were a regular, you would not know this. As I left the platform people were screaming at each other.

Whilst I accept the guard cannot control the destination of the train, she could and should have done far more - even if it was only to say she was trying to find out what was going on - but she said nothing, nothing at all.

So please spare me the crap about people unfairly blaming guards. When the behave like the ones on my trains last night it is totally justified.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
It seems Guards/Drivers not happy with their lot...They are talking about driverless cars on the roads....It has to be simpler to have Driverless/Guardless trains..Would/Could this be the route to go down..????

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
It seems Guards/Drivers not happy with their lot...They are talking about driverless cars on the roads....It has to be simpler to have Driverless/Guardless trains..Would/Could this be the route to go down..????

That kind of ambition will not go down well here.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Something I don't understand about this dispute - why are RMT/ASLEF making such a fuss (possibly understandable on safety grounds) about the removal of guards from Southern services when, as I understand it, this has already happened on Thameslink services without so much as a public peep from said unions? If safety was the union's paramount concern surely this should have been a major issue with Thameslink too (unless none of their guards/drivers are union members of course)? Innocent question - can someone enlighten me?

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
Something I don't understand about this dispute - why are RMT/ASLEF making such a fuss (possibly understandable on safety grounds) about the removal of guards from Southern services when, as I understand it, this has already happened on Thameslink services without so much as a public peep from said unions? If safety was the union's paramount concern surely this should have been a major issue with Thameslink too (unless none of their guards/drivers are union members of course)? Innocent question - can someone enlighten me?
Thameslink has been DOO since about 1998 when the whole Brighton to Bedford line had mirrors and cameras fitted. It's only in the last couple of years that 12 coach workibg has been introduced and at the time Thameslink and Southern were run by as seperate franchises

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

Their was industrial action at the time and on the underground where it was piloted - it was resolved by the guards becoming ticket inspectors

When the new Thameslink trains were introduced, redundancies were eventually avoided by agreeing to have former guards carry out on-board revenue collection duty until natural wastage resolved the problem. To the surprise of nobody except, it seems, the railway managers, it was said that the increase in revenue brought about by ticket checks meant that the continued employment of the displaced guards could be justified on financial grounds.

I think its a slippery slope when the railways are further run down and money taken our rather than invested. The local railway companies are unbelievable at screwing up something that should work and make them money while improving the service to people that rely and pay a lot of money to use the services. I am amazed that Southern hasn't had its licence taken away yet the ways its going on makes me think this is what it wants.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I am amazed that Southern hasn't had its licence taken away yet the ways its going on makes me think this is what it wants.

Try the fact they are carrying out what they stated they would do in their franchise bid.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Try the fact they are carrying out what they stated they would do in their franchise bid.

What screw the service, cancel overtime, piss off its workforce and have a timetable that doesn't move its customers around at all at the moment, because they have canceled overtime and don't allow the staff to go out and operate said trains, boy the government must have been desperate. When the East coast service was brought back in it was my favourite route for a while, everything worked the staff were happy and it made the government over a billion pounds and had the best customer satisfaction results of ANY of the privatised rail companies.

If you are currently using the local services and getting a satisfactory service at present, your doing better that me or anyone else I know. I feel sorry for the commuters, bet the bid had nothing about refunding them if it goes as pair shaped as it is currently,

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
What screw the service, cancel overtime, piss off its workforce and have a timetable that doesn't move its customers around at all at the moment, because they have canceled overtime and don't allow the staff to go out and operate said trains, boy the government must have been desperate. When the East coast service was brought back in it was my favourite route for a while, everything worked the staff were happy and it made the government over a billion pounds and had the best customer satisfaction results of ANY of the privatised rail companies.

If you are currently using the local services and getting a satisfactory service at present, your doing better that me or anyone else I know. I feel sorry for the commuters, bet the bid had nothing about refunding them if it goes as pair shaped as it is currently,

The service is shit but this is what they agreed with the DFT so they are unlikely to back.

Much the same where I work where we are having very undisarable changes being enforced through collective bargaining - **** you it is happening whether you like it or not.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
The service is shit but this is what they agreed with the DFT so they are unlikely to back.

Much the same where I work where we are having very undisarable changes being enforced through collective bargaining - **** you it is happening whether you like it or not.

But surely this the type of thing that you vote for. I expect they'll start after your pension soon. You must be delighted to be experiencing the joys of unfettered capitalism that this government encourages.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
But surely this the type of thing that you vote for. I expect they'll start after your pension soon. You must be delighted to be experiencing the joys of unfettered capitalism that this government encourages.

Not particularly the whole rail privatisation was seriously flawed from day one and has been a licence to print money. However has meant a far more varied career.

Going back to point FGW and FCC as was were dreadful for well over a year prior to turning it around.

And yes, they are starting on our pensions now but actually makes it far clearer when to retire.

S

smileyweb

After 18 months out of the rat race, I'm working in London 1 day a week for the next few months.

Starting tomorrow. Going into London Bridge. Wish me luck...

MARKO

Dec 13, 2007
Friday night ..trains from London Bridge to Btn or Hove
16.57 cancelled
17.40 cancelled
17.57 Cancelled
18.10 Cancelled
18 23 ( Eastbourne ) Cancelled
18.42 Thameslink ran but left 15 mins late.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
My train left on time and arrived on time this morning. Was like some kind of miracle..

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
My train left on time and arrived on time this morning. Was like some kind of miracle..

I'd contact the press if I were you, that's got to be a rare enough event these days to merit some kind of coverage.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'd contact the press if I were you, that's got to be a rare enough event these days to merit some kind of coverage.

You are right. I used Southern 3 days last week, and out of my 6 train journeys, 5 of them have gone into Delay Repay..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here