Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Is there anything that can be done about outright lies? Ok the announcement was made before the drivers work to rule but even so...

Whose outright lies? SASTA's? Yes, the DfT should call them to account. But you know who that one will end up...?

Incidentally, today Caroline Lucas asked an 'Urgent Commons Question' of Paul Maynard asking about what he is going to do about the state of the trains (it was actually several questions about the trains, the strikes, the effect on people, on the city and so on...) - it took two minutes to ask them. Paul Maynard's response was to ignore every question, and merely stated that she should ask 'her friends at the RMT to call off their political and disproportionate strikes'.

In other words, the answer from him is 'nothing'. The government is pinnning absolutely all of the issues on the unions, and none on the DfT nor GTR - which admittedly is hardly news.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Paul Maynard's response was to ignore every question, and merely stated that she should ask 'her friends at the RMT to call off their political and disproportionate strikes'..

Absolutely outrageous.

ASLEF need to be factored into this too now.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Paul Maynard's response was to ignore every question, and merely stated that she should ask 'her friends at the RMT to call off their political and disproportionate strikes'..

Absolutely outrageous.

ASLEF need to be factored into this too now.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Incidentally, today Caroline Lucas asked an 'Urgent Commons Question' of Paul Maynard asking about what he is going to do about the state of the trains (it was actually several questions about the trains, the strikes, the effect on people, on the city and so on...) - it took two minutes to ask them. Paul Maynard's response was to ignore every question, and merely stated that she should ask 'her friends at the RMT to call off their political and disproportionate strikes'.

In other words, the answer from him is 'nothing'. The government is pinnning absolutely all of the issues on the unions, and none on the DfT nor GTR - which admittedly is hardly news.

a shitty response, but one that the unions make available due to their action. no strikes means nowhere for the minister, DfT or GTR to hide.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Whose outright lies? SASTA's? Yes, the DfT should call them to account. But you know who that one will end up...?

Yep SASTAs

Sadly the only thing this strike helps is the union members. Public perception and I know, I know but the general public perception is "strikes again" and plays straight into Government and SASTA hands.

I know its a bitter pill but they need to stop it. Get back to work and then we can see how shit Southern are and then there are really no excuses whatsover. All the time this is going on it plays right into their hands. Noble and just though their cause is.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
a shitty response, but one that the unions make available due to their action. no strikes means nowhere for the minister, DfT or GTR to hide.

Exactly. Its the ideal smokescreen. "Don't blame me mate blame the unions".

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Just corrected that for you, get those DR's in, will pay for next years Albion season ticket at this rate even if Barber puts the prices up

Im RAKING it in. If you like I will PAY for the next FULL English at the CLIFTONVILLE when you meet your SAUCE

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

True to a point.

But it is entirely consistent with the government's point blank refusal to resolve the issues, and indeed to control and prolong the problem; issues which go way beyond the DOO dispute.

No-one is seriously going to believe that all of the train services are going to magically run properly if the RMT/ASLEF called an indefinite suspension of their dispute, nor if the dispute was resolved tomorrow. GTR and RMT had a resolution that they were ready to go with; the DfT scuppered with without doing anything to assist the resolution. They are merely a force for conflict.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Of course on top of the SASTA issue is the fact that the line between London and Brighton is absolutely shattered and long past its sell by date. The amount it gets used is akin to asking a pensioner with a broken back to carry a bag of bricks up 10 flights of stairs.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Paul Maynard, the rail minister, who has the power to help resolve this dispute any time he feels like it, has point blank refused to do so.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-38212577

Passengers wont thank them for costly government intervention

Fuxck me how far removed from reality are people.

Its playing out like a monty python sketch. Just need Graeme Chapman turning up in army uniform "right stop that far too silly"

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Since when has a radio host become a shop steward for a rail Union ?

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Passengers wont thank them for costly government intervention

Fuxck me how far removed from reality are people.

Its playing out like a monty python sketch. Just need Graeme Chapman turning up in army uniform "right stop that far too silly"

I for one would thank them for any kind of intervention.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
So is anyone going to risk trying to get to London tomorrow? Not sure myself. I can WFH if I want but I don't want to push it too far.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here