Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I'd agree with this. I'd have a lot more respect for them if they were being honest about their reasoning. That said, the buck stops with the shambolic company and the government for handing them this uniquely ill-considered type of franchise. I genuinely find two things absolutely astonishing:

1) that the government show no appetite for calling the rail company to account for this utter disgrace
2) that Charles Horton hasn't been booted out for gross incompetence. If he can run a railway company then so can I.

Genuine question -in what way was it "ill-considered"? Yes, it does seem odd that in public, at least, that the government has not been involved but we don't really know if that is true. They don't tend to get involved with industrial disputes, but this has been going on for so long.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

To be fair, I think Hastings gull was referring to me rather than his/her own position.

I actually haven't given up debating with anyone who doesn't share my view. I've just given up debating with him/her because I just end up with finger wagging responses and have been put on detention far too often now.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Genuine question -in what way was it "ill-considered"? Yes, it does seem odd that in public, at least, that the government has not been involved but we don't really know if that is true. They don't tend to get involved with industrial disputes, but this has been going on for so long.
Seriously?

The only franchise that no longer need to increase numbers to increase profits. All they have to do is carry out a bare minimum level of service and they get their money. And they can't even manage that - the government have continued to move the goalposts rather than penalise them for their disgusting service level.

And it was all a giant experiment anyway, yet the government saw fit to trial it on one of the biggest operating areas, and one that connects the second busiest airport in Europe to central London. What sort of impression do you think it leaves business travellers from abroad.

THAT is why it was ill considered. I'd have thought this was obvious?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
To be fair, I think Hastings gull was referring to me rather than his/her own position.

I actually haven't given up debating with anyone who doesn't share my view. I've just given up debating with him/her because I just end up with finger wagging responses and have been put on detention far too often now.

Thanks for that -he was probably too quick to get his response in, as ever, without properly reading it. Talking of reading what you wrote, and I am being very polite -would you like to re-read your own post? . . .

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
If there is one thing that is clear from this thread is that the guards are at least partly to blame for this mess. This doesn't take away anything from Southern's general incompetence but the guards are in no position to be claiming any moral high ground.

I don't disagree and frankly I think the campaign has run it's course - I do completely support their right to take action where they feel appropriate though.

The thing is, Southern have such a comfy number don't they, there is little incentive for them to invest in improving people and services, there only goal (and only method of growing profit) is to cut costs. Any problems, they can blame the government, the staff (their persecution over sickness etc is outrageous), and they can blame network rail. It's an entirely flawed franchise in an entirely flawed system. At some point, someone must put their hand up and say that these privatisations were and ideologically inspired disaster and must be reversed.

Still sad but true that half of our railways are actually state owned, just not by the UK :-(

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Seriously?

The only franchise that no longer need to increase numbers to increase profits. All they have to do is carry out a bare minimum level of service and they get their money. And they can't even manage that - the government have continued to move the goalposts rather than penalise them for their disgusting service level.

And it was all a giant experiment anyway, yet the government saw fit to trial it on one of the biggest operating areas, and one that connects the second busiest airport in Europe to central London. What sort of impression do you think it leaves business travellers from abroad.

THAT is why it was ill considered. I'd have thought this was obvious?

Thanks for the reply. I have said repeatedly that I am a layman on this and am happy to listen to what others say, IF they know what they are talking about. You must admit that there has been much bluster on here about the company, which, when you are repeatedly being messed about, is quite understandable. But bluster does not bring about solutions, and usually hinders attempts to bring matters to a conclusion. I have to say that I am finding it hard to follow what you wrote - not you, I imagine, probably me - in what way have the goal posts been moved? And what was a giant experiment?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'd agree with this. I'd have a lot more respect for them if they were being honest about their reasoning. That said, the buck stops with the shambolic company and the government for handing them this uniquely ill-considered type of franchise. I genuinely find two things absolutely astonishing:

1) that the government show no appetite for calling the rail company to account for this utter disgrace
2) that Charles Horton hasn't been booted out for gross incompetence. If he can run a railway company then so can I.

They'll all come tumbling down in due course, on account of being active in screwing an entire regional economy and the work/life balance of hundreds of thousands of innocent people over a considerable period.

My highly-educated guess would be in this order:

- Angie Doll will be first to be evicted from the Big Brother (Doll) House
- Charles Horton will shortly afterwards be forced to Hort Off
- Peter Wilkinson will - finally! RESULT! - fall on his own Wilkinson Sword

:wave:

MARKO

Dec 13, 2007
It's obvious

"And it was all a giant experiment anyway, yet the government saw fit to trial it on one of the biggest operating areas, and one that connects the second busiest airport in Europe to central London. What sort of impression do you think it leaves business travellers from abroad."

Give the extra runway to Heathrow , Gatwick's infrastructure can't cope.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Seriously?

interesting that you see it like that, lets look at it neutrally: its changed from a franchise to outsourced model. its been re-nationalised in all but name, with a private company asked to run it for a price, subject to performance criteria. the minimum level of service has already been breached and they were pulled up, fined and put on the naughty step for last years poor performance. the general service hasn't improved and the union action has made matters worse, and given them cover. elsewhere the government are introducing new delay repay that kicks in at 15 mins not 30min.

as to the experimental aspect of the model, we can ask why they would do this on the biggest operating area, while at the same time merging the operations into one, removing the competition aspect. it could be to just dole out some cash to friends, except that the operations don't make a profit and their expected margin for the term of the contract is 1.5% (one point five). or, maybe, its because there was no appetite to run this stretch of track with all the systemic problems it has, and short of actually nationalising with a minister dealing with all the day to day crap, this was the best the industry could offer? its just a suggestion, not a lot of anything makes sense on this railway.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
One thing that shocked me about this was the communication skills of the current transport minister. I saw him on the BBC News last night, I think from the commons, simpering on about how he couldn't understand why there were still strikes as the conductors had all signed the new contract. I have 3 thoughts?

1. Who?
2. Unable to string a coherent sentence together!
3. Is he stupid or purposely over-simplifying the situation?

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
It's obvious

"And it was all a giant experiment anyway, yet the government saw fit to trial it on one of the biggest operating areas, and one that connects the second busiest airport in Europe to central London. What sort of impression do you think it leaves business travellers from abroad."

Give the extra runway to Heathrow , Gatwick's infrastructure can't cope.

and the tunnel, the Ashford service has been abysmal

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Having travelled roughly twice a week bar strike days one thing I have noticed is on train ticket inspections have ceased during rush hours or is it just me

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Having travelled roughly twice a week bar strike days one thing I have noticed is on train ticket inspections have ceased during rush hours or is it just me

They come crawling out of the woodwork every single time the train is within 5 minutes of being on time. I know this because I've been asked two, maybe even three, times in the past six weeks.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Makes you wonder what they actually do, apart from say what the automated person says (except too loud or inaudibly).

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Oh dear.

[tweet]796037521918611457[/tweet]

Who'd have thought? I don't know the details but if for some reason the driver had the indication that the doors were closed and could take power, there's no way he could see that the door was open from the cab which is why someone who can step back and take a proper view of the whole train before dispatch is so important. It may be driver error but again another safety check can never hurt.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Who'd have thought? I don't know the details but if for some reason the driver had the indication that the doors were closed and could take power, there's no way he could see that the door was open from the cab which is why someone who can step back and take a proper view of the whole train before dispatch is so important. It may be driver error but again another safety check can never hurt.

So there's a 1 in 12 chance the guard is in the right carriage and can check this. Otherwise, a passenger pulls the emergency cord, as they would do with no guard.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
So there's a 1 in 12 chance the guard is in the right carriage and can check this. Otherwise, a passenger pulls the emergency cord, as they would do with no guard.

No, the guard or platform dispatcher steps back from the train when they dispatch so has a clear view of the whole train.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here