Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

South Coast Club, new manager but still

Sep 9, 2010
The thing is, though, last season Pardew came on board before the season started and it took a good few months before they really got going. I would also imagine that so soon after being saved from oblivion the entire club were galvanised into action and worked with a "let's pull together" attitude. The -10 point deduction would have added to this "us against the world" feeling and brought out the best in everyone - playing and non playing staff.

This season seems to be going in the opposite direction for them though. Rumours around Pardew and what he got up to behind the scenes has possibly had an unsettling and divisive affect on the squad. Lallana is out for quite a few weeks yet( I think), and there are also strong rumours that Newcastle were sniffing around Lambert - partially affecting his recent form / lack of goals.

I guess what I mean in short is that last season morale was ever increasing as the season got underway, whereas this season I get the feeling there is trouble under the surface. Adkins will need to stamp that out pretty quick to turn things around for them.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The thing is, though, last season Pardew came on board before the season started and it took a good few months before they really got going. I would also imagine that so soon after being saved from oblivion the entire club were galvanised into action and worked with a "let's pull together" attitude. The -10 point deduction would have added to this "us against the world" feeling and brought out the best in everyone - playing and non playing staff.

This season seems to be going in the opposite direction for them though. Rumours around Pardew and what he got up to behind the scenes has possibly had an unsettling and divisive affect on the squad. Lallana is out for quite a few weeks yet( I think), and there are also strong rumours that Newcastle were sniffing around Lambert - partially affecting his recent form / lack of goals.

I guess what I mean in short is that last season morale was ever increasing as the season got underway, whereas this season I get the feeling there is trouble under the surface. Adkins will need to stamp that out pretty quick to turn things around for them.

The problem is the very fact that they are the favourites which puts them under pressure from the off. When you see Carlisle (who are not quite what I would describe as a small club) at the top you might wonder why as nobody fancied them at the beginning of the season.

We've now beaten MK and getting a draw at Carlisle will be a very good indication as the whether or not we are serious contenders. Losing won't be a huge tragedy but a win would be very nice. Clearly though Carlisle beating Wednesday shows that they're no mugs.

As for Sanitary Adkins could take care of business or he could be a huge mistake. Scunthorpe have done superbly under him but they are in a very different position to Southampton. They're not a club with high expectations so Adkins was not under the same sort of pressure he'll be facing in his new role.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don't care what the reasons are, it's f***ing funny to see the Champions Elect (in most of their fans eyes) in the relegation zone again. I'm gonna enjoy it as long as it lasts and I hope they struggle for at least another month

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I don't care what the reasons are, it's f***ing funny to see the Champions Elect (in most of their fans eyes) in the relegation zone again. I'm gonna enjoy it as long as it lasts and I hope they struggle for at least another month

Be fair, some of their fans ! And remember, they might be farm animal molesting inbreds but at least they're not Pompey fans.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
I agree we are shit at the moment but:

Lambert = still unfit.
Lallana = crocked for 6 weeks.
F Richardson = easily Charlton's best player last season. Got injured in pre season. Back in 1 -2 months.
Barnard = Was our best player this season until he got sent off. Back from his ban this weekend.

Last season was similarly as poor a start but at least this year we dont have -10 and a JPT cup run to distract us.

I reckon play offs or possibly 2nd. Might put a wager on Albion Saints play off final. Now that would be class.

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007

Lambert = still unfit.
F Richardson = easily Charlton's best player last season. Got injured in pre season. Back in 1 -2 months.
Barnard = Was our best player this season until he got sent off. Back from his ban this weekend.

Last season was similarly as poor a start but at least this year we dont have -10 and a JPT cup run to distract us.

I reckon play offs or possibly 2nd. Might put a wager on Albion Saints play off final. Now that would be class.

Is Lambert still unfit, what's wrong with him? I was surprised by last night's result; I'd backed you to win. I trust Barnard and Lambert back together against unbeaten Colchester United will shoot you to a first home victory of the season on Saturday.
I believe Adkins is an exciting appointment and he doesn't have some of Pardew's less likeable traits. Whether Adkins will lead you to promotion this season or be sacked in eighteen months having failed to replicate his Scunthorpe success only time will tell.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
Is Lambert still unfit, what's wrong with him? I was surprised by last night's result; I'd backed you to win. I trust Barnard and Lambert back together against unbeaten Colchester United will shoot you to a first home victory of the season on Saturday.
I believe Adkins is an exciting appointment and he doesn't have some of Pardew's less likeable traits. Whether Adkins will lead you to promotion this season or be sacked in eighteen months having failed to replicate his Scunthorpe success only time will tell.

Lambert was overplayed last season. Coz of the FA and JPT runs, he was playing twice a week, week after week. Still burnt out a bit for me.

Since AP left, I listened to the commentary of all 3 games and all of them were reporting when 0-0 as "only a matter of time till Saints score" Yet we didnt and lost all 3 games.

You have to remember also, NA only had 2 days to work with the team b4 last nights game.

All I know is I saw last season what this team can do. Surely 11 players dont become shit over a summer.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
Lambert was overplayed last season. Coz of the FA and JPT runs, he was playing twice a week, week after week. Still burnt out a bit for me.

Since AP left, I listened to the commentary of all 3 games and all of them were reporting when 0-0 as "only a matter of time till Saints score" Yet we didnt and lost all 3 games.

You have to remember also, NA only had 2 days to work with the team b4 last nights game.

All I know is I saw last season what this team can do. Surely 11 players dont become shit over a summer.

England did! :lolol:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
But they would have been in without the -10 points at the start of the season.

The original reply was to someone saying that despite the 10 point penalty they only just missed out on the play-offs (an often repeated point - yes it was one place). I was just balancing that by saying that they missed out by seven points, so not really "just missing out". I appreciate that they had -10, but they didn't overhaul that and "just miss out". Thats'all.

Diatribe

Feb 3, 2007

Lambert = still unfit.

think nicky bailey played a bit more of a role in chalrton's season last year then the rightback did.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
There is no way a front line of Lambert and Barnard won't score a lot of goals in this league. They will be up there when we get to the sharp end of the season

Last edited:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
as of today at Bet365:

Soccer - To Be Promoted

Npower League 1 2010/11 Book Closes 18 Sep 15:00
Huddersfield 6/5
Sheff Wed 5/4
Peterborough 13/8
Southampton 13/8
Brighton 3/1
Charlton 7/2

Nappy thrower

Banned
Dec 17, 2009
Floor above Bushy

Lambert still burnt out? What a load of balls.He has just had a 8 week break or whatever it is.:facepalm: It's not as if he played in the world cup is it?
I cannot believe you said that.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009

You really are a super fan aren't you, listened to all 3 commentarys!
Can you get Radio Solent in Patcham then? Or did you have to drive to Hampshire? Maybe if you drove a bit further you would have got to St. Mary's

When you say SAW them last season, do you mean listened to? You can't see them through the radio you know.

Shouldn't opposing fans who come on this board, bigging their teams up, at least go to some of their games?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here