Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sorry the blokes out of his depth

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
believe me I don't have any love of MU but I do have admiration for them even more so now, they never knew when to give up and yes I always thought they would score.
I think I might have said this before there are comparisons with OG and Moyes although Moyes does have a lot of sadness in his eyes and why oh why does he put up with Fergie being there, he must see pictures of his disapproving face while watching MOTD
at least OG does not have that every week

Simple solution, just tell Fergie that times are hard and he has to pay for his seat from now on, problem solved.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
**** feeling sorry for Oscar, feel sorry for me and people like me; having to put up with this deluge of shiptoasting every time we lose. :mad:

After 2x 2-0 victories we were sailing on our sublime way to the Premiership, two mild defeats, and we are stampeding for the lifeboats, typical.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I also thought these comments were interesting. What we don't know, is why "it wasn't possible" to bring in more strikers (obviously Grabban chose not to sign, for whatever reason).

And are you implying that Garcia has had specific targets this season that have been denied him? I'm not sure that is the case - these were his words towards the end of the August transfer window:-

I get the impression that Garcia is exactly what his title implies - a coach. Obviously, he will have an idea of the type of player he wants, but I'm not convinced he has a list of specific names he wants to bring in (and that up to now, have been refused).

We have been told that Garcia has final say over who is signed (given budget constraints, of course) - I have no reason to believe that isn't the case - do you?

My thoughts on this are that Oscar wants players of a certain quality that we cannot afford or they don't want a move from where they are at the moment. The players that Burke has identified as being within budget and matching the required parameters haven't exactly set the world alight (Lita , Obika , Rodriguez). The jury is still out on Lingard. Conway only proved himself with 4 games left of his loan spell. Grabban's agent played us for a fool in order to extract a better deal for his client at Bournemouth. A head coach should have 4 strikers to call on , most of the time Oscar has had only one fit striker with the other three out injured or reliant on a loanee who is simply not good enough.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I thought Oscar's comments last night were quite interesting and possibly the first sign of his frustration with the way the club works.

"When we have only one striker then we had to try something different but it’s a problem we have been managing for a long time. We have been crossing our fingers with Leo before not to get injured but it’s a big problem. For a long time I wanted more strikers but it wasn’t possible. We have to try to do better in front of goal with the players we have. It’s difficult now, it’s too late."

I just hope he is given total control over who comes and goes this summer so that the balance of the squad is exactly as he wants it next season. If that means we have to be very light in back-up in some positions or rely on cheap youth teamers to plug gaps so that we can spend our money on the most important positions (i.e. match winners/goalscorers) then so be it.

This is another excellent post, and your second in this thread. Oscar has been a master in saying nothing in his interviews, but this one is revealing. We should also note that one thing he's been consistent in saying is that the team don't take their chances, that his happy that they're creating chances, and that this is something that he's talking about and working on with the team. It doesn't seem as though it's getting through to the players, but this is notoriously one of the most difficult things to inculcate.
As regards the summer, there are so many players whose contracts are up, that there won't be any viable excuses for Oscar, provided he's given sufficient backing with funds -- yes there is FFP, but also we got +£4m in transfer fees in January.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
My thoughts on this are that Oscar wants players of a certain quality that we cannot afford or they don't want a move from where they are at the moment. The players that Burke has identified as being within budget and matching the required parameters haven't exactly set the world alight (Lita , Obika , Rodriguez). The jury is still out on Lingard. Conway only proved himself with 4 games left of his loan spell. Grabban's agent played us for a fool in order to extract a better deal for his client at Bournemouth. A head coach should have 4 strikers to call on , most of the time Oscar has had only one fit striker with the other three out injured or reliant on a loanee who is simply not good enough.

Oops , left Agustien off the list as I had forgotten him (to be honest so has everyone else)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

One of the (few) things that Oscar has said that sticks in my mind is that if you want Barcelona-style football, you need Barcelona-quality players. As regards those players that Oscar has had most input in bringing in, it is pace that he seems most concerned about, and especially pace up-front.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This is another excellent post, and your second in this thread. Oscar has been a master in saying nothing in his interviews, but this one is revealing. We should also note that one thing he's been consistent in saying is that the team don't take their chances, that his happy that they're creating chances, and that this is something that he's talking about and working on with the team. It doesn't seem as though it's getting through to the players, but this is notoriously one of the most difficult things to inculcate.
As regards the summer, there are so many players whose contracts are up, that there won't be any viable excuses for Oscar, provided he's given sufficient backing with funds -- yes there is FFP, but also we got +£4m in transfer fees in January.

I'm kinda hoping that we will benefit from FFP next season. Not with those on parachute payments but the Leicesters and Forests of this season. We must have the highest income of all non parachute payments teams?

I guess it comes down to whether FFP will impact wages and transfer fees next season.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
do you remember the season when Wendy was our manager, we were so close to the play-offs so many times, but never made it.
its a bit like that.
if we had won just a few of the games we have drawn or lost we would be in there already.
whats incredible is we are not there

Very good.

I wonder if there's a Nottm Forest glasfryn posting the same on their board. And a Reading glasfryn who's itching to post the same when they drop out the top 6?

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I'm not at all sure whether blaming OG for our negative performances is fair to him. It maybe, But I'm not privy to his training or team talk tactics. However IMO, and it is only that. I don't in the cold light of day think we have been very clever in our transfer deals this season. We just seem to have wasted quite a few quid (considering salaries) on averageplayers who have really been no better than players already in the squad. What I would have liked is less loans but one or two quality prem players on their way down. I did suggest a few months ago Yossi was a free agent unfortunately QPR have now got him and it's showing. These players like Bridge and Upson bring more than just playing to the team. They bring experience which is exactly what our youngsters need to bring them on. Soooo in my books Quality not Quantity. ???

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Remember the days when we used to spend most of the season counting down points to avoid relegation in lower leagues than this.

Now we're still within distance of making the play offs to reach the PL and people are still ****ing moaning.

Beggars belief.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Remember the days when we used to spend most of the season counting down points to avoid relegation in lower leagues than this.

Now we're still within distance of making the play offs to reach the PL and people are still ****ing moaning.

Beggars belief.
North Stand Chat will still be the same when we lose on consecutive weekends to Arsenal and Liverpool :laugh:

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
We have got lucky tonight with other results, but that shouldn't over shadow the fact we failed to score again and folded at the end when we should have seen the game out. Believe it or not, I love my football club, but I say it as I see it. We are not good enough to be in the top six. If by some miracle we get into the play off positions, it will because others have screwed up more than us. We have zero flair, very little passion and a weak under belly atm.

you are probably right. we aren't quite ready for promotion. but i would say the same for reading, forest and ipswich. so we may still have a genuine chance of a play-off place. i'm not convinced by any of the teams that will be in the play-offs, so whilst as we have said, we aren,t ready to go up - anything is possible

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
and you all thought I was joking

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here