Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So who is going to do the Brighton Marathon 2014?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
My second one felt so much better than the first. I think perhaps because it's not quite such the great unknown in your mind. You know you can do it, and have done it, and what it's going to feel like. I can see how that would also work against you, but I wasn't so nervous second time around as a result of knowing what to expect, and I ran a much more even pace (rather than pushing it too much at the start), which resulted in a quicker time.

I ran a very even pace first time around, so that's another reason not to do it again.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I remember doing a 20 miler in similar conditions. I got home with my soaked heavy metal t-shirt almost around my ankles, blood soaked shoes and shirt, fell on the floor in front of my wife and started sobbing. I've trained for another 3 since this but I have now purchased proper running tops.

I'd planned an 18 mile route last year. I'd already seen the weather forecast so I knew it was going to snow, but I had no other spare day to do it on. I spent approximately 8 miles running straight into a biting north easterly wind, turning my face so numb I couldn't even drink from a water bottle without dribbling, snow was flying into my eyes to surprisingly painful effect, and icicles were forming in my hair and on my clothes. My GPS packed up after ten or so miles, leaving me to guess the remainder of my route, & when I eventually got home, tired and frozen, I discovered that I was a mile and a half short :facepalm:

It wasn't a great day, but I like to think it stood me in good stead for the main event :)

I ran 18 laps of Preston Park two weeks ago (about 20 miles), which has a deceptive incline - I found doing that 18 times last year stood me in good stead for the largely flat course, hoping the same will be true this Sunday.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I ran 18 laps of Preston Park two weeks ago (about 20 miles), which has a deceptive incline - I found doing that 18 times last year stood me in good stead for the largely flat course, hoping the same will be true this Sunday.

I can't even imagine how boring running 18 laps of Preston Park must be :lol:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

I live next to Preston Park and I've done a fair few laps of it, I always prefer to go up the steep bit and down the slow incline, otherwise it's slow torture on every lap.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'd planned an 18 mile route last year. I'd already seen the weather forecast so I knew it was going to snow, but I had no other spare day to do it on. I spent approximately 8 miles running straight into a biting north easterly wind, turning my face so numb I couldn't even drink from a water bottle without dribbling, snow was flying into my eyes to surprisingly painful effect, and icicles were forming in my hair and on my clothes. My GPS packed up after ten or so miles, leaving me to guess the remainder of my route, & when I eventually got home, tired and frozen, I discovered that I was a mile and a half short :facepalm:

It wasn't a great day, but I like to think it stood me in good stead for the main event :)

Oh boy. You do learn a lot about yourself in such situations though.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Doing it as Bane from Batman. Gonna need all the help I can get

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    747.1 KB · Views: 81

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Yes. You certainly need all the help you can get.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I am.

Starting at 5:30am, I'll be completing a triathlon straight before the marathon (I was featured on BBC South East news today) in order to raise money for MS Treatment Centre and Worthing National Autistic society.

Just off half way to my very ambitious target, so if anyone wants to donate, head to: uk.virginmoneygiving.com/TriathlonMarathonMan

Thanks.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I am.

Starting at 5:30am, I'll be completing a triathlon straight before the marathon (I was featured on BBC South East news today) in order to raise money for MS Treatment Centre and Worthing National Autistic society.

Just off half way to my very ambitious target, so if anyone wants to donate, head to: uk.virginmoneygiving.com/TriathlonMarathonMan

Thanks.

Just had a look on Iplayer. Good luck.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Good luck to Mark Bushell, Richard Pearce and Martin Tyler tomorrow running for the REMF. They can be found on www.justgiving.com under Robert Eaton Memorial Fund for anyone kind enough to sponsor. Good luck to everyone running.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
I'm doing my 5th Brighton Marathon, love the day and it is such an amazing experience...just hope I can make a time that I will be happy with...

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
So who is?

And [MENTION=3887]Uncle Spielberg[/MENTION] - I've not seen a single post from this year's (10?) REMF runners about fund-raising. Are you on track to equal or SMASH last year's £6000 raised?

For someone who (often rightly) gets a lot of stick on here, it has to be said that was a phenomenal effort from US to raise that much money. Hopefully this year he'll come close to that target again. Good luck US!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here