Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So. Who can STOP us ?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Honest question. Assuming Newcastle win the league, which I believe they will, who can we see in the chasing pack can overhaul us for that 2nd spot ? This is an entirely RHETORICAL question, and is without presumption.

We are 3 points clear of Huddersfield now, with a +14 goal difference compared to their -1, so effectively another point. You have to go down to Bristol City in 6th place, who are 7 points back on +6 for a team with a GD in the same postcode. I just cannot see Huddersfield lasting the pace. They looked BANG average at the Amex, rocked up as early league leaders, set up just trying to nick a point, and have just been humiliated at Fulham. They'll be lucky to make playoffs IMO.

Reading and Bristol are doing ok, but are equally leaky at the back (conceding 17/18 goals already in 15 games) and their form has been patchy. Birmingham don't look anything special, Sheff Weds always flatter to deceive, and then you're looking way down to the likes of (perhaps) a resurgance from a Fulham or Villa, but they're already 10-13 points back. Leeds are hilarious.

I truly thought Narch were the primary threat - and they probably still are with their buying power. But look what we just did to them. Newcastle will probably sweep all before them, which can only help us. And we still have March, Kayal and Rosenior to come back.

So. In theory, who exactly is going to stop us ?

Very nice piece of writing and a very good thread starter. I haven't read the 4+ pages after this. I know it can be knee jerk but I can't see beyond Newcastle and us. Who do I think MIGHT threaten us? Villa, Derby and Norwich. I also think Leeds will make the play offs. But, as mentioned, we already have a huge kick start on all these clubs. So for me, I just think it is the two clubs currently occupying places 1 and 2. Huddersfield will go south. We have the best squad out there, other than the Maggies.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I have just spoken to Chris Iwelumo and asked him the question.
He said that any team in the division can beat us because we are punching above our weight and will fall away soon and be lucky to escape relegation.
He added that he would not put money on Brighton beating any team from Division 1 and most of division 2 and fully expects us to be knocked out of the FA cup by a non league side in the 3rd round.
But he did wish us all well for the future.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I asked this yesterday, but didn't get an answer. If Murray continues in this form, can Bournemouth recall him in the January window?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Very nice piece of writing and a very good thread starter. I haven't read the 4+ pages after this. I know it can be knee jerk but I can't see beyond Newcastle and us. Who do I think MIGHT threaten us? Villa, Derby and Norwich. I also think Leeds will make the play offs. But, as mentioned, we already have a huge kick start on all these clubs. So for me, I just think it is the two clubs currently occupying places 1 and 2. Huddersfield will go south. We have the best squad out there, other than the Maggies.

Cheers chap. To be clear, this isn't hornblowing after pulling off such a stunning result yesterday - I'm well aware its a long, long road yet. Its just a probing exercise into who we think may steal our 2nd spot, and why.

One of the things I'm most heartened by is just how this squad has reacted this season to the heartbreak of the last. After getting to within a Rizzler's width after 46 games, and then suffered the most RIDICULOUS luck in the Playoffs, it would not have been all that surprising to see a massive hangover from that, going all the way back to square one. Yet here we are, up there again, relishing the challenge and looking even stronger.

Hughton has done absolute wonders, and there's clearly a strength and resolve in that dressing room that not too many teams in this division possess. If anyone in this league other than Newcastle finishes above us, I think they'll certainly have to earn it the hard way.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I think we need to calm down a bit, a couple of defeats and it all changes. There are several teams capable of putting very decent runs together including Villa, Shef Weds and Fulham. If we lost Knocky and/or Murray then we look a very different team. We have seen teams way out in front at xmas time and knob it right up, Derby have been flying before and cocked it RIGHT UP. Let's just keep plugging away and to use the old cliche 'game by game'.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Statto is back up. This stage last season was very close:

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/league-championship/2015-2016/table/2015-11-03

This year, six goals better off:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/championship/table

Previous records on statto, with Villa's draw against Birmingham they would have to put an an unprecedented set of results to win the Championship (Sunderland did from way back down the table in the past.)

I thought Norwich's throwaway at Newcastle was likely to be unprecedented but they threw away a game in the same way in the same way against Liverpool last season! That and Norwich managing to lose 0-3 at home to Sunderland last season means I no longer fancy them for the automatics after we beat them in a 6 pointer.

The great advantage we have is we've got better players than our rivals. Despite Burke (formerly Forest), Hogan, MacLeod (Brentford), Lascelles, Shelvey (Newcastle), Forestieri (Wednesday).

Last edited:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Cheers chap. To be clear, this isn't hornblowing after pulling off such a stunning result yesterday - I'm well aware its a long, long road yet. Its just a probing exercise into who we think may steal our 2nd spot, and why.

One of the things I'm most heartened by is just how this squad has reacted this season to the heartbreak of the last. After getting to within a Rizzler's width after 46 games, and then suffered the most RIDICULOUS luck in the Playoffs, it would not have been all that surprising to see a massive hangover from that, going all the way back to square one. Yet here we are, up there again, relishing the challenge and looking even stronger.

Hughton has done absolute wonders, and there's clearly a strength and resolve in that dressing room that not too many teams in this division possess. If anyone in this league other than Newcastle finishes above us, I think they'll certainly have to earn it the hard way.

And everything you just said there is the reason we will be stronger. And as Brighton fans we have seen both ends of this table in recent years and this is now our opportunity.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Its a tough league - I watched us at both Burton and Wigan and we could have come away from both of those with just a single point.

Key, for me, is the long term replacement for Murray - he's a loanee so we shouldn't rely on his goals to get us to the prem if he then won't [might not] be with us in the prem to keep us there. We need to buy our own prem-ready striker before we can say we're the real deal. Oh, and keep those prem-ready players we do have too.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Looking good and the bookies have it about right with us as second favourites. Bristol City next weekend is no gimme though.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Villa can easily catch us with the squad they have. Need 7 points from these next three which should end any threat from
Fulham or villa, if they then catch us from after these games it would mean we aren't close to second

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
I think there has been lots of sense spoken on this thread. Whilst things are looking really good right now it only takes a few cases of bad luck to conspire to turn things on their head and really it's going to be the end of Jan before we can really set out our stall. At the risk of being flamed to hell, I wouldn't say that the overwhelming majority of our play is head and shoulders above that which is capable from any of the teams touted here as possible top six contenders. It's not to say we don't deserve our current position or trying to find a deliberate negative, just pointing out that the margins in this league are tight. On that basis, if we are still where we are now in twelve weeks time in terms of position, GD, players and lack of injuries, then I think we stand an excellent chance of securing a top two position.

There is every reason to keep really positive about this season, so far so good - but I do agree with everyone advocating keeping a level head. Having said that, for me there is a different feel about how the guys are going about their job this season. Even last season with the fantastic run during the first half there was always that feeling that you knew it had to end and then when it did how bad could it get. This season is more measured, more realistic. The clean sheets, great GD and hard fought results feel far more sustainable, more consistent and something that means should the guys have a bad day then they can quickly recover, regroup and reestablish themselves in one or two games without going on a long run of bad results.

The big question for me is what happens in the transfer window. I presume there is no reason why AK or Stephens could not be tempted away given enough of a carrot. I also assume that EH can ask for Murray back anytime, which he may do if their position looks poor come January and Glenn keeps on knocking them in for us. I am sure CH has a plan for this but no one would want to see momentum compromised by changes to key players.

Whatever happens I can't wait!

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
The Complete And Utter Shyster ?

Seriously, we are our own biggest threat. The job isn't done, we mustn't start thinking it is.

3 banana skins next up - Bristol (a), Villa (h) and Fulham (h).

I prefer to think of our opponents that we could slip up against as greased pigs with lipstick and Sarah Palin as it's owner.

Last edited:

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
I think there has been lots of sense spoken on this thread. Whilst things are looking really good right now it only takes a few cases of bad luck to conspire to turn things on their head and really it's going to be the end of Jan before we can really set out our stall. At the risk of being flamed to hell, I wouldn't say that the overwhelming majority of our play is head and shoulders above that which is capable from any of the teams touted here as possible top six contenders. It's not to say we don't deserve our current position or trying to find a deliberate negative, just pointing out that the margins in this league are tight. On that basis, if we are still where we are now in twelve weeks time in terms of position, GD, players and lack of injuries, then I think we stand an excellent chance of securing a top two position.

There is every reason to keep really positive about this season, so far so good - but I do agree with everyone advocating keeping a level head. Having said that, for me there is a different feel about how the guys are going about their job this season. Even last season with the fantastic run during the first half there was always that feeling that you knew it had to end and then when it did how bad could it get. This season is more measured, more realistic. The clean sheets, great GD and hard fought results feel far more sustainable, more consistent and something that means should the guys have a bad day then they can quickly recover, regroup and reestablish themselves in one or two games without going on a long run of bad results.

The big question for me is what happens in the transfer window. I presume there is no reason why AK or Stephens could not be tempted away given enough of a carrot. I also assume that EH can ask for Murray back anytime, which he may do if their position looks poor come January and Glenn keeps on knocking them in for us. I am sure CH has a plan for this but no one would want to see momentum compromised by changes to key players.

Absolutely. There are one or two others too as far as January are concerned.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

I'm don't think Bournemouth can recall Murray. Its a year long deal

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I asked this yesterday, but didn't get an answer. If Murray continues in this form, can Bournemouth recall him in the January window?
Yes they can.

But they won't as they'll get the sulky Murray who has fallen out with Howe, not the goal scoring one we have.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes they can.

But they won't as they'll get the sulky Murray who has fallen out with Howe, not the goal scoring one we have.

Thank you, I did think that was the case. Let's hope Bournemouth aren't struggling in January & need him.

Personally I shan't think in promotion terms until the beginning of February when we know our players for the run in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here