Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] So we all know there's a striker incoming - Who ?

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
If I have then that’s my bad, could you clarify for me please?

As I said, clumsy, but what I took it to mean was that the 'club' (and I guess we can assume this reflects messaging from the top) has made clear that money is a real issue, we will only spend where we see real value (and there isn't much of that around despite covid) and otherwise our policy is to invest in potential.

Therefore given the grotesque price tags being put on players, and the outrageous salary demands at a time when so many clubs face extinction and so many supporters will be struggling financially, it shouldn't be a surprise if we end up without a marquee signing and taking the (real) risk of going with what we've got + some unproven youngsters.

For me, frankly I'd rather see us relegated than getting sucked too far into the sickening money-bloated agent-driven charade of premier league transfer dealings.

I've had enough. It's killing football and I'd rather we didn't play a part in it.

(I also think we'll still be OK)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It’s only you using the word ‘expensive’, which ties in nicely with your ‘Hollywoodesque’ nonsense posted elsewhere. A free agent would superb as long as they are actually a credible senior squad player.

Plenty of people have said "needs to sign a 15+ goal striker or we're doomed" and "should have signed Callum Wilson, only £20m!" or "need to sign that random Celtic dude for £30m, why are we so shit when it comes to signing players".

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Plenty of people have said "needs to sign a 15+ goal striker or we're doomed" and "should have signed Callum Wilson, only £20m!" or "need to sign that random Celtic dude for £30m, why are we so shit when it comes to signing players".

I think you’re falling victim of reading the usual angry posts and assuming that’s the general mood of the board. Personally I would have liked to have kept Murray, that’s how high I had my sites set. You’ll always get the vocal jokers, do they don’t speak for all of us but they’re generally the loudest.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
As I said, clumsy, but what I took it to mean was that the 'club' (and I guess we can assume this reflects messaging from the top) has made clear that money is a real issue, we will only spend where we see real value (and there isn't much of that around despite covid) and otherwise our policy is to invest in potential.

Therefore given the grotesque price tags being put on players, and the outrageous salary demands at a time when so many clubs face extinction and so many supporters will be struggling financially, it shouldn't be a surprise if we end up without a marquee signing and taking the (real) risk of going with what we've got + some unproven youngsters.

For me, frankly I'd rather see us relegated than getting sucked too far into the sickening money-bloated agent-driven charade of premier league transfer dealings.

I've had enough. It's killing football and I'd rather we didn't play a part in it.

(I also think we'll still be OK)

Thanks.
Turns out I did understand the point he’s was making. Look, I like many others are not screaming for a superstar striker, just someone to take the load off Maupay’s shoulders. I appreciate the need for financial responsibility and as I’ve said elsewhere, a free agent striker or a loan would please me greatly just as long as they are ready for top flight first team football.
It’s also worth remembering that a lot of people may have had their expectations raised when we were seemingly looking to spend £25m of Nunez.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Apart from Ulloa, Hemed, CMS*, Ashley Barnes and Maupay, you mean?

*OK, it didn't work out well for him at Brighton, but he was still a decent striker.

Not forgetting Nicky Forster, Sam Baldock, Bobby Zamora, Gary Hart and Darren Freeman, also pushing the 30 year limit Kurt Nogan, Mike Small, John Byrne, Gary Nelson and Kevin Bremner. All decent strikers for the level we were playing at the time.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX

I know the boat has sailed but Callum Wilson would have been a tremendous addition even at the price he went for.....oh well

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Thanks.
Turns out I did understand the point he’s was making. Look, I like many others are not screaming for a superstar striker, just someone to take the load off Maupay’s shoulders. I appreciate the need for financial responsibility and as I’ve said elsewhere, a free agent striker or a loan would please me greatly just as long as they are ready for top flight first team football.

Indeed. I think it's a case of heated agreement.

Telling Brighton supporters they don't give a sh*t about what Tony Bloom says was never going to go well, and [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] has been around long enough to know that much.

Anyway, does the loan window (for premier league) close on Monday as well? Suspect that's the best chance of getting some cover in. I'd rather we had something more available than we have at the moment, but just not 'at any cost'.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Indeed. I think it's a case of heated agreement.

Telling Brighton supporters they don't give a sh*t about what Tony Bloom says was never going to go well, and [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] has been around long enough to know that much.

Anyway, does the loan window (for premier league) close on Monday as well? Suspect that's the best chance of getting some cover in. I'd rather we had something more available than we have at the moment, but just not 'at any cost'.

I believe we can still deal with football league clubs, but not absolutely sure.
I whole heartedly agree, we need someone as an option but absolutely do not want to be held to ransom, and obviously there’s no danger of that happening with Mr Bloom in charge.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Again patronising guff full of false assumptions. Who said signing has to be expensive except you?

Which one of us doesn't hear or give a shit about what TB says that you suggest?

We've sold or got rid of a lot of players, reducing our costs massively and our player numbers, we still still have well over a hundred million coming in and a positive net spend. The squad in some areas is threadbare. No other club has one front line striker + 1 rookie.

Real fans of Brighton have every right to question that massive risk as well as why we haven't yet spent £1 of the TV money, when match day revenue losses as 1 million per game (X 18 home games)

We all want a sustainable club, nobody is asking foe expensive signings, they are asking for decent cover rather than risky gambles. They are also well within their rights to ask why with 150 odd million coming in, - 18 matchaday losses, why not just a tiny bit of that isn't used as a protection to cover at least Maupay.

This is what invested fans do, you try and paint your own false narratives.

You (the moaning sentiment of the 'supporters') dont want a sustainable club half as much as you want to be like all the others, just look at this 150 page thread about signing a new striker.

The tv money coming in are not some massive economic profit for the club, the vast majority of it will be spent on wages and the 10% or so remaining after that will probably be saved in case something goes terribly wrong this season (like relegation or the season getting cancelled).

Its kind of like Potter said in the Q&A this spring: "its easy to buy players, much more difficult to sell them."

Getting relegated from the PL never destroyed any club, overspending in the PL destroyed plenty. Sure its possible to do like Bolton and sign 35 year old free agents with hefty wages and no resale value and that will be all fine and dandy.. until it its not. Or to do like Swansea, ruin years and years of hard work with some high-profile signings that in the end ended up failing, because there are no guarantees in football.

TB is better than the ones in charge of teams like Bolton, Sunderland, Swansea, Portsmouth etc. The club obviously dont want to spend money it cant spend. TB doesnt want to spend money he cant spend.

I already know your response:
"I'm a real Brighton fan, I deserve to demand things".

Yeah, sure, or are you a PL fan? It happens to a lot of fans in clubs that get promoted.

Either way, its senseless emotional bollocks. Fact is that there's currently not much money and this does not change regardless of how much of a "real fan" you are.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I believe we can still deal with football league clubs, but not absolutely sure.
I whole heartedly agree, we need someone as an option but absolutely do not want to be held to ransom, and obviously there’s no danger of that happening with Mr Bloom in charge.

Deals can be made between EFL clubs and PL clubs but no deals can be made between PL clubs or foreign sides. I think the extended window is mainly to give EFL and PL sides a chance to tie up loan deals for those younger players who haven't got moves yet, I can't see too many moves the other way as I suspect those that were going to happen, would have already happened by now, save for one or two late deals.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I don't think there is anyone else coming in, certainly not before the overseas / PL-PL deadline on Monday.

That's just the way it might be due to how the finances have been hit by SARS-COV-2.

Hu_Camus

Jan 27, 2019
I'll take stick, but just heard.

Balotelli, 25k per week and goal bonus for 9 months, initially.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
“If it was their money” what utter nonsense. Oh, and we face losing £100m a season if we get relegated because we didn’t invest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you should share your knowledge with uncle tone.

NOW

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here