Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So, over 700 dead......

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I see it simply as a form of hobby, like our collective allegiance to a football team, it's simply an addition to an individuals areas of interest, be that having an allotment, joining a rambling club or any combination of several or all arenas of lifestyle choices.

It means a lot to some people, it's a club, there are variations on the same theme of course, like road cyclists or downhillers. I let them do their thing as long as they don't judge my choices,...

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
The older I get, the more I see religion as a form of brain washing. You tend to believe what is handed down to you by your parents. If they are religious, theres a strong chance you will be. If they are not, its unlikely that you will apart from scattered cases.
Im pretty sure that if you took 50 babies to a remote island, and taught them all their lives that Rupert the Bear was an all seeing god, they would probably believe it.
In fact, isnt there a tribe in the pacific that considers Prince Philip a god?

I agree, I was rinsed of any religious aspiration in my 70's secondary school and I can honestly say I cannot remember ever defining a classmate by religion I just cannot remember it even being mentioned.

I think that was a good thing, but brings us on to the current situation where we have sucked in millions of people where religion is prioritised above anything else, hence the problems.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
There's noting worse than an Athiest stuffing his views down your throat with no intention of giving another perspective a chance.

I thought Religion was bad for this?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
There's noting worse than an Athiest stuffing his views down your throat with no intention of giving another perspective a chance.

I thought Religion was bad for this?

Its not a view until there is some evidence is it? Perspective needs at least a smidgen of evidence surely.
i cant think of any evidence to support a 'god'

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Where has science disproved God?

Not entirely sure why science should have to disprove something that theres absolutely no evidence of. Is there some evidence to this man made 'god' that ive missed? From my viewpoint, 'god' is a man made entity...and which 'god' ? Theres a few of them about.

Im not against religion particularly. Just dont get it.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Not entirely sure why science should have to disprove something that theres absolutely no evidence of. Is there some evidence to this man made 'god' that ive missed? From my viewpoint, 'god' is a man made entity.

Is it just a coincidence that many indigenous tribes all around the world seem to have a very strong connection to the spiritual world?

Are they all making it up too?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Is it just a coincidence that many indigenous tribes all around the world seem to have a very strong connection to the spiritual world?

Well, there is one tribe that worships Prince Philip in the Pacific. They tended to be spiritual in more of a 'hope' way I believe. I hope it rains. I hope the crops dont fail, hope theres no flood, earthquake etc. If somebody can make a living out of it, they will push a 'god' I think.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Well, there is one tribe that worships Prince Philip in the Pacific. They tended to be spiritual in more of a 'hope' way I believe. I hope it rains. I hope the crops dont fail, hope theres no flood, earthquake etc. If somebody can make a living out of it, they will push a 'god' I think.

How comes these tribes seem very peaceful?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
It might be evidence that hope/faith in something greater than ourselves, could make humanity healthier.

Doubt if thats whats going through ancient tribal minds tbh Would they be praying to 'our' god, that wasnt around? or pleading with things they could see, ie sun, moon, stars, mountains etc.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

They are just trying to control luck and fate, things that can wipe them out as a people, of course by definition they cannot, but they try unsuccessfully.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Like I said, ive got no beef with people with faith. I just dont get how people can have faith that hasnt really come up with much good. Its come up with plenty of bad, but I dont see much good that comes from God ..praying for example, or following one religion or another.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

It may be a coincidence that most of these tribes use hallucinogens to connect with the spirit world. Dimethyltryptamine (DMT), found in plants all over the world, also known as the "Spiritual or Jesus drug". :)

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Many say that God does not intervene, however God did when it came to the 10 plagues in Exodus. http://ancienthistory.about.com/od/epidemics/tp/10PlaguesEgypt.htm

I am sure this will be explained to me why he could then but doesn't anymore?

Has thee changed ones mind on the rules because if God can create plagues God must surely be able to rid humanity of cancer and any other fatal disease or viruses.

Maybe we are still being punished for our ancestors sins?

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
It may be a coincidence that most of these tribes use hallucinogens to connect with the spirit world. Dimethyltryptamine (DMT), found in plants all over the world, also known as the "Spiritual or Jesus drug". :)

I thought DMT was a chemical we also have in our brain? The 'drug' the indigenous tribes use is called Ayahuasca. To make Ayahausca requires a mixture of plants. Scientists to this day are amazed how the indigenous tribes were able to come up with this recipe when considering the amount of different variants of plants in their terrain and the huge odds of combining the specific plants. The ayahuasca users claim a Spirit directed them to the specific plants to make 'Ayahuasca.'
I've even heard they're now sending alcoholics and drug addicts to these tribes in hope the drug/experience will cure their illness/addiction. Apparently the success rate is very good.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I thought DMT was a chemical we also have in our brain? The 'drug' the indigenous tribes use is called Ayahuasca. To make Ayahausca requires a mixture of plants. Scientists to this day are amazed how the indigenous tribes were able to come up with the recipe when considering the amount of different variants of plants in their terrain and the huge odds of combining the specific planys. The ayahuasca users claim a Spirit directed them to the specific plants to make 'Ayahuasca.'
I've even heard they're now sending alcoholics and drug addicts to these tribes to take this drug to help cure their illness/addiction. Apparently the success rate is very good.

Yep, I've heard of that.

But it was probably discovered by the person making poison recipes for their monkey killing blow darts. Either through accidental ingestion or absorption.

Last edited:

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
'Ayahausca' sounds South American rather than something global. Maybe they should dish it out at communion. Sounds interesting :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here