Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So, over 700 dead......

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
Wow, this is a weird metaphysical thread. I am curious - those of you in the conversation who believe in a god, does he (or she) speak directly to you? If not, are you satisfied that he or she is quietly watching over you, or even perhaps not watching over you exactly, but just generally observing all his or her works, shaking his or her head in sadness and disappointment every time someone does something bestial to someone else? Or are you a bit disappointed that your prayers are not answered directly? Or is it a more self-centred faith whereby any questions like these just make you feel even more smug and superior than you did before?

No, no. No and no. No. No.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Sorry folks, I missed the parable post. The conversation here does not follow any line of reasoning, including the strange question about how much science has achieved. Beorthelm, good luck with your discourse. I'm afraid you may be up against David Icke . . . .I'm out.

Hmm, I think you know where that was going?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... Beorthelm, good luck with your discourse. I'm afraid you may be up against David Icke . . . .I'm out.

tbf, he appears to believe in a benevolent, unconditionally loving god, which is nice. not bat shit nonsence about lizard people hiding as human leaders.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
tbf, he appears to believe in a benevolent, unconditionally loving god, which is nice. not bat shit nonsence about lizard people hiding as human leaders.

Hmmm, yes but, as John Lydon said 'never trust a hippy' :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hmm, I think you know where that was going?

"I like posting with punctuation errors so that people with little minds can point them out to me"

"Is" going, surely? And strictly speaking "little mind".

For someone so loving, you're a bit pompous. And careless.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Your first question: those of you in the conversation who believe in a god, does he (or she) speak directly to you?

Keep up Mr Scientist :)

Sorry, I haven't had the stamina to trawl back. I 'm just a bit astonished to find Cliff Richard on a football forum and, frankly, I'm intrigued as to what he/she/it will say next.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I don't think it's a silly question at all. You don't have to be specific, just ball park.

1% ? 50%? 99%?

The question is impossible to answer as we only know the amount of science we know. We really have no idea of the amount of things we don't know. There is no way to provide a percentage with only one figure.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
Glad to hear it. Although logically you do believe in god (see first question). Give the 'no' replies, may I ask why?

To answer your questions. I'm an agnostic theist.
1)Sometimes i believe in god 100%, sometimes i don't.
2)I don't anthropomorphize God, i don't presume that God thinks in any human sense of the word.

With fear of delving into nitty gritty, i find that belief in God is in some ways irrelevant, the act of worship is where the gold lies. Of course there is some kind of hypocrisy in this statement as the act of worship requires an exercise in some kind of belief.
I believe there are reasons that all cultures have developed similar methods for gaining consciousness. These are useful tools.

I agree with you that the 'story of god' has been written and rewritten by man, sometimes selectively. I view these texts as cultural historic documents filled with metaphors so all may grasp some meaning. There is much wisdom in them. It angers me that these documents are often used by humans to gain power over people to further their agendas.

Your statement: "People who believe in God today are so far removed from the God they want to believe in.".
Firstly this seems to be a catch all statement (which has obvious drawbacks), ironically these kinds of statements are often used by people in fundamentalist religions.
What % of the world's population have faith? Do you think it applies to all of them?
Do you really know what people believe and want to believe? How?

No need to answer these slightly facetious questions.

I too think religion is a bit of a dirty word, but without them all we'd have are cults, which is often how i view these fundamentalist sects.

If there's anything that i haven't covered in that response (post #184) and you're genuinely interested let me know.

Here's a list of churches that would appear to challenge what your view of religion/christianity is:
http://www.pcnbritain.org.uk/

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton

I'd like to say, I've enjoyed this discourse beorhthelm and I've learned from it.

For me, people are connected to spirit to different extents. There are those that are spiritual and there are those who are not. The latter tend to be very immersed in the physical, like collecting knowledge and make great scientist and thinkers. The former can get too spiritual and not remain grounded and become airy-fairy. A lot are in between. Whatever floats your boat.

Spiritual people connect to spirit with their own spirits hence "spiritual". This is a feeling and an experience. Someone who hasn't experienced this will not understand this because they expect to use their brain to understand things and you can't use a physical organ to understand something beyond the physical.

So I've tried to explain my spiritual beliefs in a logical manner and now realise it's a futile task so I won't be doing it again.

Scientists who have no connection to this will obviously deny it's existence but it's been around for thousands of years so don't you think that if there was nothing to it, the human race would have dropped it ages ago.

I'm in favour of whatever makes you happy.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
image.jpg

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
The older I get, the more I see religion as a form of brain washing. You tend to believe what is handed down to you by your parents. If they are religious, theres a strong chance you will be. If they are not, its unlikely that you will apart from scattered cases.
Im pretty sure that if you took 50 babies to a remote island, and taught them all their lives that Rupert the Bear was an all seeing god, they would probably believe it.
In fact, isnt there a tribe in the pacific that considers Prince Philip a god?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here