Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So Is AppleTV any good?

Tux the albion Penguin

Resident Linux User
Sep 2, 2011
STADIO DE LA AMEX
I just want to know as I need something to hook up to the old telly box and I know there Is plenty of love for Apple here. So whats the verdict. Get or Get something else? Also the reasons why. And please refrain from. Ohh you gotta buy because It's Apple bull.

Thanks In advance.

Note: I am NOT fishing. Genuine question here

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You haven't actually said what you want to do?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Good thread, been thinking about the Apple TV thing.

If anyone has it, please could you post a quick review of what it does and what type of person would get the most use out of it?

:thumbsup:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Youtube? Netflix, Love film. BBC iPlayer?

Right...

The AppleTV comes with YouTube as a built-in 'app', and Netflix also. I'm not sure of the status of LoveFilm and iPlayer is not on there either.

However, one of the good things about AppleTV is AirPlay - the ability to be playing something on your iPhone or iPad and with a single touch have it on your TV via Airplay. You can get iPlayer, and other stuff, this way. You can also do the same from iTunes running on a Mac or PC on the same network in your house.

We've 'upgraded' from AppleTV to a Mac Mini (essentially a full-on Mac connected to our TV) so I'm not completely up to speed with recent developments, but last time I was looking, second-hand AppleTV2s were going for more than the current model. The reason for this is there is a jailbreak for AppleTV2 meaning you can but XBMC on there as well as stream directly from some of the more dodgy streaming sites for films and sport. If/when the current version is jailbroken then this disparity will disappear.

I think they are a really, really good bit of kit for the money. We also used ours to stream music to the TV and speakers etc as well to view photos from our iPhoto library. It's a far more social experience to have photos on a big TV for everyone to look at, than trying to gather around a TV screen.

I suggest you buy one from an Apple Store and have a play with it. If you don't like it, take it back within 2 weeks and they'll give you your money back, no questions asked. Apple are nice like that.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Its good, it works. Out of the box, would be good if you are the kind of person to stream stuff from Lovefilm or similar, or go to Blockbusters to rent films etc.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There are also some games that make use of AirPlay too which means your iPhone/iPad essentially become a big wireless controller for a game on your big screen. It works very well.

Tux the albion Penguin

Resident Linux User
Sep 2, 2011
STADIO DE LA AMEX
Cool. I will take a tour to the shop then I'm In Brighton in a few days and go from there. Cheers guys :)

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
I've got one, and love it. Stream whatever from the pad or phone. Plug and play. Great bit of kit and unobtrusive.

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
I have 3, one in the lounge, one in the bedroom and one in the kitchen. I stream I tunes around the house and have it playing on all the speakers.

You can control everything from your iphone/pad and its bloody marvellous.

I have just been ripping all my old DVDs and now can watch them through Apple TV, its the all in one media solution for the home, look nowhere else.

Oh, and its so easy to set up and use.

BUY ONE TODAY

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Can someone please let me know the easiest/best way to stream films/shows via iPhone to HDTV (using online apps, lovefilm iPlayer etc). What's the quality like or is it variable?

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I've only just got a Apple TV (latest version) and have to say well impressed. I've signed up for Netflix which is way better than Lovefilms offering and the video quality is superb. Using the mirroring with the ipad covers iplayer etc very well and since upgrading the Mac to mountain lion I also have mirroring of that to my TV as well which means playing divx films etc directly from the mac so no re-encoding. I am considering another for the bedroom now as I am so impressed.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I've got one but I'm clearly not getting enough out of mine reading the previous posts. I've bought some stuff from ITunes to watch, but didn't even realize I could stream stuff via my phone.
The best thing I've watched is the HD cinematic highlights of the Donny game on You Tube, over & over & over again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here