So Is AppleTV any good?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I've got one but I'm clearly not getting enough out of mine reading the previous posts. I've bought some stuff from ITunes to watch, but didn't even realize I could stream stuff via my phone.
The best thing I've watched is the HD cinematic highlights of the Donny game on You Tube, over & over & over again.

I'm the same as you. I bought Ver 2 a few months back it's still in it's shrink wrap!

As for the Doncaster Cinematic highlights, mmmmmm!!

I wish they would do more of them.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
yes, listen to my itunes music on the telly in the front room, watch stuff I have downloaded or bought and watch youtube on it occasionally....

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Is it worth investing one if, as already mentioned, you use an Xbox to get stuff on? I've got Netflix (US), Sky Go, Iplayer, 4od on mine. In terms of equipment I'm not sure i'm worth it, yet is the picture quality better on Apple TV?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I've only just got a Apple TV (latest version) and have to say well impressed. I've signed up for Netflix which is way better than Lovefilms offering and the video quality is superb. Using the mirroring with the ipad covers iplayer etc very well and since upgrading the Mac to mountain lion I also have mirroring of that to my TV as well which means playing divx films etc directly from the mac so no re-encoding. I am considering another for the bedroom now as I am so impressed.

Interesting I've found lovefilms to b far better than Netflix

BearwoodSeagull

Feb 2, 2012
Chalkhouse Green, Oxon
I think it's brill......just going to watch extended highlights of the Burnley game from FL player on it. I use it all he time, like Bozza says its great for streaming music and photos from your PC too. For £99 you can't go wrong.....

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
I can plug my laptop into a HD ready tv with a cable...isn't Apple TV essentially the same as that but a bit more technologically advanced?

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
yes, listen to my itunes music on the telly in the front room, watch stuff I have downloaded or bought and watch youtube on it occasionally....

Do you have to have your iTunes library powered on to do this? The reason I ask is that my library is on my laptop but that's turned off most of the time as I now have an iPad. I haven't transferred my music to my iPad as I'd prefer to keep it all on the laptop, but it would be nice to be able to access it through the Apple TV if i could.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Do you have to have your iTunes library powered on to do this? The reason I ask is that my library is on my laptop but that's turned off most of the time as I now have an iPad. I haven't transferred my music to my iPad as I'd prefer to keep it all on the laptop, but it would be nice to be able to access it through the Apple TV if i could.

Yes because it works on HOMESHARING. You have to assign the apple TV to this sharing account and yes the itunes pc/lap top has to be on...it may work on the icloud thing but I haven't tried that yet

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
Yes because it works on HOMESHARING. You have to assign the apple TV to this sharing account and yes the itunes pc/lap top has to be on...it may work on the icloud thing but I haven't tried that yet

Thanks. I'll probably get one and see what I can get it to do. Cheers

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Right...

The AppleTV comes with YouTube as a built-in 'app', and Netflix also. I'm not sure of the status of LoveFilm and iPlayer is not on there either.

However, one of the good things about AppleTV is AirPlay - the ability to be playing something on your iPhone or iPad and with a single touch have it on your TV via Airplay. You can get iPlayer, and other stuff, this way. You can also do the same from iTunes running on a Mac or PC on the same network in your house.

We've 'upgraded' from AppleTV to a Mac Mini (essentially a full-on Mac connected to our TV) so I'm not completely up to speed with recent developments, but last time I was looking, second-hand AppleTV2s were going for more than the current model. The reason for this is there is a jailbreak for AppleTV2 meaning you can but XBMC on there as well as stream directly from some of the more dodgy streaming sites for films and sport. If/when the current version is jailbroken then this disparity will disappear.

I think they are a really, really good bit of kit for the money. We also used ours to stream music to the TV and speakers etc as well to view photos from our iPhoto library. It's a far more social experience to have photos on a big TV for everyone to look at, than trying to gather around a TV screen.

I suggest you buy one from an Apple Store and have a play with it. If you don't like it, take it back within 2 weeks and they'll give you your money back, no questions asked. Apple are nice like that.

I concur. It is very very good. Preferably you need a fibre optic connection on your TV or on your surround sound /stereo system If you haven't got one then you need a fibre optic to DIN audio jack converter , which is about £50 from Maplin. This will need power from a USB connection (again preferably the TV or a PC).The YouTube feature in itself is well worth the money. Airplay and computer sharing with Mountain Lion is phenomenal. I also understand that you can jailbreak the Sky sports channels for free but caution, it will revert to the original non jailbreak software as soon as you sync in ITunes.

All in all, like nearly all other Apple products, tis good!

TNBA

TTF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports