Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Smoker on Falmer to Lewes train

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm astonished by some of the spiteful replies on this thread, the most ludicrous one criticising the OP for not inviting the smoker to a fight.

I have a mind to go onto every thread posted in the last 24 hours that is not about the win and berate the OP for being a wet ponce.

I am also astonished that anyone can't see that sparking up on a train is about as acceptable as driving on the wrong side of the road or taking a dump in a bus shelter. I expect the OP was as astonished as he was annoyed.

If you object to the thread, don't read it. Why bother to reply, grizzling about it's existence, or positing ridiculous sneery objections based on whataboutery? Pathetic! Go and **** of and enjoy the win, FFS!

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
I’ve never smoked, don’t like it. I am old enough however to remember it being legal on buses, tubes and yes, trains. I grew up in a house where my parents smoked and eventually it caused their slow painful death and for many years I worked in a bookies and drank in pubs so my lungs are probably knackered,I daren’t look, anyway I’ll get to the point, Firstly one “oily” won’t cause the fall of Rome and secondly couldn’t this be resolved with a firm “scuse me mate, can you put that fag out, my lad’s got asthma” ?

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
Firstly one “oily” won’t cause the fall of Rome and secondly couldn’t this be resolved with a firm “scuse me mate, can you put that fag out, my lad’s got asthma” ?

Totally agree, even the most ignorant people are generally so taken aback by a polite request they oblige. If not such is life. walk away, it doesn't show cowardice it shows intelligence.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
With all due respect, I'll chuck in a "imagine being so paranoid that you are unable to cope with someone having a smoke", on the way back from an amazing result.

How did you manage before the smoking ban - serious question - did you hide away from pubs, cinemas, restaurants, etc.?

The OP moaned about ONE person, not a whole carriage full of smokers - no perspective whatsoever.

Still, fill yer boots with indignation, if it helps.

15 replies on a thread that doesn’t impact on you in anyway, twice as many as anyone else…indignation you say? If the shoe fits could be the reply.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
I am old enough however to remember it being legal on buses, tubes and yes, trains. ?

Me too ... and it was banned for a reason! :facepalm:

Those who seem to think it was acceptable ... I can only imagine what else you think is banned/illegal that you think is acceptable ... and maybe do yourselves and don't give a toss about others!

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

Those who seem to think it was acceptable ... I can only imagine what else you think is banned/illegal that you think is acceptable ... and maybe do yourselves and don't give a toss about others!

Omg you don’t mean drugs do you. Whatever next.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm astonished by some of the spiteful replies on this thread, the most ludicrous one criticising the OP for not inviting the smoker to a fight.

I have a mind to go onto every thread posted in the last 24 hours that is not about the win and berate the OP for being a wet ponce.

I am also astonished that anyone can't see that sparking up on a train is about as acceptable as driving on the wrong side of the road or taking a dump in a bus shelter. I expect the OP was as astonished as he was annoyed.

If you object to the thread, don't read it. Why bother to reply, grizzling about it's existence, or positing ridiculous sneery objections based on whataboutery? Pathetic! Go and **** of and enjoy the win, FFS!

Sorry, but the chances of the smoker a) seeing this thread and b) giving a shit are probably zero. It's like when you go on TwatBook and see some Doris post an angry rant about "the bloke in the Audi who cut me up at the lights on Boundary. Don't you know you could of (sic) killed little Chardonney" followed by 200 likes or loves from similar bints and a few "Hugz - inbox me". The Audi driver, meanwhile, may be unaware he did cut up the car, may very well not know there was a kid in there and won't see the post anyway.

Did anyone else see / inhale this guy's smoke? The lack of anyone confirming seems to suggest that the vast majority of people in that packed carriage do not read or post on NSC. :shrug:

That aside, football trains are remarkably WELL behaved these days. Back in the day, people smoked in non smoking carriages, drank on dry trains and so on every weekend. I can remember getting a special back from Pompey and every light bulb in first class had been luzzed two minutes outside of Fratton.

There was some good banter on our train back yesterday between a young lad (Brighton, very pissed) and two Glasweigan United fans one of whom was in full 1970s punk gear, complete with mohican (you'd have loved him). The stuff the Brighton lad was coming out with would've led to claret all over the shop back in the day. Yesterday? Everyone was laughing. I've not bothered starting a thread on it, though, because of the 20 or so of us interacting it's likely none bar me are on NSC and it would've sunk to the bottom of the page like The GC in concrete undies.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

For a kid I expect it’s quite unsettling to have someone smoke in a confined space - afterall not something they’ll have experienced. The messages to them is how dangerous to your health it is, so maybe quite scary for some kids, others more used to parents / relatives smoking, maybe not so much.

It’s all very well people asking what did you do before the smoking ban, well, anyone under the age of say 30, probably doesn’t know or remember.

I amazed by people having a go at the OP for being intolerant by being intolerant of the OP’s views.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
When you have had someone close to you die because of second hand smoke you may think differently. Hopefully the child coughing nearby was ok or doesnt that bother some ppl

Maybe the child has covid and should not really have been out.
Selfish child.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

I don't think anyone has said it's acceptable, it's a twattish thing to do in this day and age.............

.... but guess what, other people in life do twattish things sometimes, I think we're just suggesting that this one isn't t worth the amount of twisted knickers on display!

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
For a kid I expect it’s quite unsettling to have someone smoke in a confined space - afterall not something they’ll have experienced. The messages to them is how dangerous to your health it is, so maybe quite scary for some kids, others more used to parents / relatives smoking, maybe not so much.

It’s all very well people asking what did you do before the smoking ban, well, anyone under the age of say 30, probably doesn’t know or remember.

I amazed by people having a go at the OP for being intolerant by being intolerant of the OP’s views.

Quite :thumbsup:

As much as the health issue and kids ... it's about respect.

I have always respected other people and authority. I'd hate to think that any of my actions were impacting negatively on others. Some on here obviously have a different/selfish view.

I remember when I was about 11/12 heading out on my bike to go to a friends house. I rode down a nearby alleyway and then a short section of pavement before I then usually bounce down onto the road to complete my journey. On this particulate occasion there was a police car with two officers in it. They stopped me and gave me a right old bollocking! I stood there ... hands behind my back ... terrified. I didn't give them a mouthful back ... a little bit different to life now!

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho

The moment I posted I expected this reply, and I agree.
Point I’m making is we’re 1000x more protected from smokers as we were In the 90s however I think a sense of perspective is required here, also I never said it was acceptable I just feel he should have been challenged at the time as “aftertiming” on here is an exercise in futility

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
15 replies on a thread that doesn’t impact on you in anyway, twice as many as anyone else…indignation you say? If the shoe fits could be the reply.

Do my replies to other comments impact on you in anyway? Didn't think so, yet at least I'm making them relevant to the thread, unlike your comment above which just comes across as a pointless dig. Feel free to continue, if you so wish, and don't forget to add this one to the 15 comments I've already made. :)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The moment I posted I expected this reply, and I agree.
Point I’m making is we’re 1000x more protected from smokers as we were In the 90s however I think a sense of perspective is required here, also I never said it was acceptable I just feel he should have been challenged at the time as “aftertiming” on here is an exercise in futility

Yes, exactly on both counts.

No one's suggesting that a smoking free for all on football trains is a GOOD thing, but if it really winds you up that much have a word at the time, not on here later.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

It's a SEVEN minute train journey from Falmer to Lewes, doubtless 99% populated by non-mask-wearing punters that prefer to think that covid isn't a thing anymore. Oh well, these are the main Amex public transport options :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here