Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Small sections of our away support at FGR

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Been going away since around 2001 and I’d say our away support is far more timid now than in the 2000’s. Imagine some of that is availability of tickets - a lot of the livelier element struggle now whereas everyone that wanted a ticket use to be able to get one

The main thing I’m aware of now is the difference in the more antisocial elements

In the 2000’s most Albion fans knew who our lads were, if it went off it would always be our firm and organised meets were more common. Thing is lines weren’t crossed often, they supported Albion as much as the rest, they enjoyed a scrap and normally kept their heads down during the game and only got involved if it became lively. Most were also really decent blokes who you’d have a beer and chat with at the far flung away games like Barnsley and Rotherham.

Now it’s just extremely mouthy, antisocial, don’t give a **** about fellow Brighton fans who are far more interested in fake ‘scenes’, giving it to our fellow fans and mouthing off all over before sinking off if it looks like it might kick off..

I’d actually rather see a Brighton associated fan slap another teams fan in an arranged scrap like the 90’s/00’s than these knobs chucking pints over women and kids in the concourse before telling them it’s an ‘away day’ if they complain.

I’ve felt for a while now we’re close to seeing some infighting at an away game when one of older heads gets a pint chucked over his family before a game….

I might be turning into an old git myself but it’s a clear shift in those who are deemed antisocial these days

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Kids/ young adults in front of me were very quiet and behaved but they were sucking something out of a plastic container pink/blue in colour it looked like a vape but no smoke ( or whatever comes out of a vape) the three guys were passing it around taking big lung fulls then covering their mouths with their shirts for a few Seconds… I had some words on it hazy Mary or something…

Now I know I’m old but any idea what it was? And why do youngsters want to mess with strange stuff?? Is beer not enough?

Instead of the little silver canisters of Nitrous Oxide,these seem to be the latest thing. Apparently quite a bit stronger. These were seen in Newhaven; I saw the photo on FB.

Extra strong Nitrous Oxide.jpg

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Been going away since around 2001 and I’d say our away support is far more timid now than in the 2000’s. Imagine some of that is availability of tickets - a lot of the livelier element struggle now whereas everyone that wanted a ticket use to be able to get one

The main thing I’m aware of now is the difference in the more antisocial elements

In the 2000’s most Albion fans knew who our lads were, if it went off it would always be our firm and organised meets were more common. Thing is lines weren’t crossed often, they supported Albion as much as the rest, they enjoyed a scrap and normally kept their heads down during the game and only got involved if it became lively. Most were also really decent blokes who you’d have a beer and chat with at the far flung away games like Barnsley and Rotherham.

Now it’s just extremely mouthy, antisocial, don’t give a **** about fellow Brighton fans who are far more interested in fake ‘scenes’, giving it to our fellow fans and mouthing off all over before sinking off if it looks like it might kick off..

I’d actually rather see a Brighton associated fan slap another teams fan in an arranged scrap like the 90’s/00’s than these knobs chucking pints over women and kids in the concourse before telling them it’s an ‘away day’ if they complain.

I’ve felt for a while now we’re close to seeing some infighting at an away game when one of older heads gets a pint chucked over his family before a game….

I might be turning into an old git myself but it’s a clear shift in those who are deemed antisocial these days

The throwing pints thing is why we no longer spend money in the concourses. Just walk straight though and up to our seats. Perhaps if others also withdrew their custom then the clubs might do something about it.

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
Kids/ young adults in front of me were very quiet and behaved but they were sucking something out of a plastic container pink/blue in colour it looked like a vape but no smoke ( or whatever comes out of a vape) the three guys were passing it around taking big lung fulls then covering their mouths with their shirts for a few Seconds… I had some words on it hazy Mary or something…

Now I know I’m old but any idea what it was? And why do youngsters want to mess with strange stuff?? Is beer not enough?

Haze is a strain of weed , often used in portable devices as you describe. Might of been that

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
It’s an age thing, I’m totally offended by some of the things mentioned that happens these days. The “Wilfred Zaha dies” song was heard at Stratford station on Sunday, honestly, it’s the pits.

However I was totally “unbothered” (is there such a word?) by a mob trying to tip some sort of shed over at Elm Park late 80’s, the West Street Firm in the home seats at Cambridge, fights in the ground at Selhurst, or on the tube platform at Wimbledon, the FA Cup at Orient, Southend every time, Ipswich last match of the season, the list from 20/30 years ago is endless really.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Agree there was some terrible songs last night, that enciso one didn't even rhyme, or make sense, you cannot rhyme 'Paraguay' and 'Murder Ya', I can only apologise for forgetting the words of the Undav one I made up half way through, after deciding to sing it. I don't really like the use of the c word, and some people were very trigger happy on it, don't get why some people are so venemous to players it can get a bit much. There was a section of people who seemed coked up completely, think they were causing the problems, they seemed to be the far right, as I was central-ish and they were down there.

I think I stood right in front of you and enjoyed your songs. Made a lot of people smile. But there was someone nearer the corner flag who dropped the c bomb all game. Seemed unnecessary and lacking any wit (unlike my heckles of "Bern-ard" and his shorts).

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I think I stood right in front of you and enjoyed your songs. Made a lot of people smile. But there was someone nearer the corner flag who dropped the c bomb all game. Seemed unnecessary and lacking any wit (unlike my heckles of "Bern-ard" and his shorts).

Yes sadly nobody fancied adapting a Gaetan Bong song for Jack Spong, but what do I know.

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough

I agree with you, but for those of us old enough to remember it could be pretty dangerous in 70s and 80s. I went to the last 18 home and away games in the 1979 promotion season and you felt relieved to get out of some of the away games alive. Memorable away grounds from those days were the Old Den and Ninian Park. Although it was horrible and scary I am glad I have those memories. The atmosphere could be tense and electric, and make the adrenalin pump in a way that you do not get now.

And I agree with you - I knew some of the firm in those days and aside from their "activities" they were not moronic antisocial idiots like some of todays youth.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Funny the first time, and just about passable the second time, but I cringed every time thereafter. An Albion fan wearing glasses, circa half way line, seemed to think it hilarious every time HE made a comment about Bernard’s shorts, and looked to his friends for approval.

To my left were the brainless and coked up few, one with a fixed grin, one very sweaty, tattooed and serious, and one whose role was to join in their songs (no one else did). I didn’t feel threatened but felt embarrassed for those having to put up with the foul language and non rhyming songs.

I find the lack of respect to fellow Albion fan, eg not sitting in allocated seats, more disappointing.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I was there, probably joining in. I think Peter Shilton said afterwards that he nearly quit football because he was so upset at the ribbing.

I remember a 0-0 draw at the Dell in 1982/3, where NSC's very own [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] gave Shilton non-stop Tina related bantz to such an extent that at one stage Shilton (when the ball was at other end of pitch) asked Enrest to 'give it a rest mate', which did not have the desired effect.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
I agree with you, but for those of us old enough to remember it could be pretty dangerous in 70s and 80s. I went to the last 18 home and away games in the 1979 promotion season and you felt relieved to get out of some of the away games alive. Memorable away grounds from those days were the Old Den and Ninian Park. Although it was horrible and scary I am glad I have those memories. The atmosphere could be tense and electric, and make the adrenalin pump in a way that you do not get now.

And I agree with you - I knew some of the firm in those days and aside from their "activities" they were not moronic antisocial idiots like some of todays youth.

Agreed. I found Millwall fans the most scary at that time and visiting the Old Den was not for the faint hearted. Yes to Cardiff too - dockland again!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
On a side note, Barnet away around Christmas 1999 (I think) was the coldest I have ever been at a football match.

Torquay away, Jan 2, 1999. I was ill for a month after that :lolol:

Went with [MENTION=459]Bwian[/MENTION] (hope you are OK old pal - not seen you post for a long time)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Truly? There is a bit of rose tinted retrospectroscopy going on here, I suspect.

I was talking to the missus about a former neighbour, yesterday. I mentioned some of the antics he got up to, and pointed out what a good bloke he was, Her reply was 'sounds like a **** to me'.

Then I thought back to his relentless sexist 'banter', his overwhelming compulsion to letch over every woman he met, and his tendency to find someone's weak spot then make endless tedious jokes about it. Of course all that was offset by his willingness to offer to do a bit of carpentry for you (at a price), and his professed loyalty to kith and kin. . . . .He was all right, he was. Wasn't he?

No, actually, Mrs T was right. He was a ****. ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here