Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sky's analysis of our season so far..

Sep 9, 2010
Haven't posted here for a very long time but am always lurking!

Thank you for posting that. What a great watch. It's been said above already but it's really well researched and it's also nice to finally hear some commentary that is not patronising. Usual lazy approach is to suggest were a tiny club who have hit the big time with GP and all any other prem club has to do is offer GP a job and he'll jump ship

Loved the comment towards the end about Aston Villa coming calling for GP but "Why would he leave?" Type omment acknowledging that although GP is very talented, the club is also a very desirable club to be at.

Compare that with this article quoting Chris Sutton where we seem to be a little club without squad depth and liable to fall away into mediocrity. Our only aim is to survive on the prem!!!

https://www.sussexlive.co.uk/sport/...ghton-graham-potter-tottenham-everton-7551807

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
SSN notes how we have effectively had the same start as last season. However, and this is just my opinion, my recollection of last season’s start is that a couple of those early wins were a little fortunate. We definitely got the rub of the green against Leicester and the opening day victory against Burnley was perhaps a touch fortunate.

This season, with the exception of Fulham, we have more or less bullied each opponent. This is what has me trying very hard (and failing) not to get too excited about our prospects this time around.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Haven't posted here for a very long time but am always lurking!

Thank you for posting that. What a great watch. It's been said above already but it's really well researched and it's also nice to finally hear some commentary that is not patronising. Usual lazy approach is to suggest were a tiny club who have hit the big time with GP and all any other prem club has to do is offer GP a job and he'll jump ship

Loved the comment towards the end about Aston Villa coming calling for GP but "Why would he leave?" Type omment acknowledging that although GP is very talented, the club is also a very desirable club to be at.

Compare that with this article quoting Chris Sutton where we seem to be a little club without squad depth and liable to fall away into mediocrity. Our only aim is to survive on the prem!!!

https://www.sussexlive.co.uk/sport/...ghton-graham-potter-tottenham-everton-7551807

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

I love this quote from Sutton.

“I don't think it is fair on Graham Potter to stay at Brighton for another three or four seasons and get in and around mid-table. What about striking while the iron is hot? This is a guy who has proved himself, at Ostersunds, at Swansea and he is a high achiever as far as I can see, and he deserves the opportunity to manage up."

So, we are not being fair. I don’t think he knows Graham Potter anymore than I do. GP will decide what is fair, and as he has said, there is more to life than football.

Sutton is a very poor commentator on football. Together with Savage he has ruined 606.

Sadly, at the moment, the BBC seem to want to give too many opportunities to giggling bantering buffoons like them and Micah Richards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I love this quote from Sutton.

“I don't think it is fair on Graham Potter to stay at Brighton for another three or four seasons and get in and around mid-table. What about striking while the iron is hot? This is a guy who has proved himself, at Ostersunds, at Swansea and he is a high achiever as far as I can see, and he deserves the opportunity to manage up."

So, we are not being fair. I don’t think he knows Graham Potter anymore than I do. GP will decide what is fair, and as he has said, there is more to life than football.

Sutton is a very poor commentator on football. Together with Savage he has ruined 606.

Sadly, at the moment, the BBC seem to want to give too many opportunities to giggling bantering buffoons like them and Micah Richards.

I think 606’s mantra is “be controversial” rather than objective, hence Sutton and Savage. Sensible discussion is not what they do and that’s not what their target audience wants either. Shouty knee jerk reactions and opinions from commentators and the people on the phone in is what they do.

Potter needs and deserves a better club fits in perfectly.

Last edited:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I think 606’s mantra is “be controversial” rather than objective, hence Sutton and Savage. Sensible discussion is not what they do and that’s not what their target audience wants either. Shouty knee jerk reactions and opinions from commentators and the people on the phone in is what they do.

Unfortunately the change was due to a lack of listeners in the 16-34 year bracket. Most listeners were in their 40s+ and affluent. They wanted to make it more ‘street’ and appeal to that younger audience. That has not happened.

Before Sutton’s arrival, Savage acted as that controversial foil you’re describing, but it was always balanced with a football journalist like Alistair Bruce Ball, Darren Fletcher, Kelly Cates etc. now that balance has been lost and we’re left listening to two idiots taking calls from too many idiots.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

This. They seem themselves as the stars of the show and some kind of comedy duo. The callers are seen as their support cast.

It really should be the other way around.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Lots of back slapping at the moment can we be consistent this season?

Consistent enough to end up in a Champion’s League place? Probably not

I much prefer back slapping to whinging and finding fault though :smile:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Consistent enough to end up in a Champion’s League place? Probably not

I much prefer back slapping to whinging and finding fault though :smile:

On no account should anyone enjoy our current run of form and the newfound respect we are enjoying. Just incase it might end soon

And I thought I was pessimistic. :lolol:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Great analysis of our football club and I'm sure other football clubs will be looking at our football club to see how a football club should be run.

EDIT: Yes, I see that was noticed by others!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lots of back slapping at the moment can we be consistent this season?

Fair comment. We did have a bit of a slump iirc last year - and the Tracker predicts tough times ahead. But as an analysis of how we've got where we are I think it was pretty good.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
SSN notes how we have effectively had the same start as last season. However, and this is just my opinion, my recollection of last season’s start is that a couple of those early wins were a little fortunate. We definitely got the rub of the green against Leicester and the opening day victory against Burnley was perhaps a touch fortunate.

This season, with the exception of Fulham, we have more or less bullied each opponent. This is what has me trying very hard (and failing) not to get too excited about our prospects this time around.
Also I think last season our wins (apart from Leicester ) were against promoted teams (Watford, Brentford) and relegation perennials such as Burnley.

This year we've already beaten 3 teams who finished immediately above us last season.

For the record, last year we went from the 6th game (Palace) on a run of 12 I think without a win, but lots of draws.

This year,we need to get the wins where we can to be in a good place before the World Cup. Hopefully starting with a win at Bournemouth and then beating Palace

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What I liked about the piece was that it was the first that I'd seen that didn't just focus on Potter and Bloom. It not only highlighted Barber, who's rarely mentioned, but also Weir, Winstanley and Macauley, who I've never heard mentioned on national TV before. The fact that Potter is just one element in the setup (albeit one of the most important) is lost on a lot of people.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Nice. Although 'the togetherness of the group, the philosophy of the football club, the transfer policy...' that comes from Tony Bloom rather than GP. The piece just got better after that though, praising the rest of the off the field team, and eventually covering the fact that there'd be a succession plan for Potter.

Last edited:

el punal

There's a difference between big 6 and top 6 though. We are a possible top 6 finisher just as West Ham and Leicester threatened to be over past two seasons, but I can't ever see us being one of the established biggest six clubs in the country.

Of course not. Over the last fifty years ‘smaller’ clubs have dared to challenge and been reasonably successful over a limited period of time - examples being Nottingham Forest, Ipswich, Aston Villa, Southampton, Leeds(!), Southampton and Leicester. They might not have all taken top spot, but positions 2 to 4 is still commendable. Realistically, and on current form, maybe that could be us as well.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
What I liked about the piece was that it was the first that I'd seen that didn't just focus on Potter and Bloom. It not only highlighted Barber, who's rarely mentioned, but also Weir, Winstanley and Macauley, who I've never heard mentioned on national TV before. The fact that Potter is just one element in the setup (albeit one of the most important) is lost on a lot of people.

This. A lot pundits and fans seem to think it's all down to Potter being a wizard.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here