Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sky's analysis of our season so far..

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Of course not. Over the last fifty years ‘smaller’ clubs have dared to challenge and been reasonably successful over a limited period of time - examples being Nottingham Forest, Ipswich, Aston Villa, Southampton, Leeds(!), Southampton and Leicester. They might not have all taken top spot, but positions 2 to 4 is still commendable. Realistically, and on current form, maybe that could be us as well.
I like your comparisons there. If I am not mistaken those clubs have all won the FA cup as well. That will do for me!

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
What I liked about the piece was that it was the first that I'd seen that didn't just focus on Potter and Bloom. It not only highlighted Barber, who's rarely mentioned, but also Weir, Winstanley and Macauley, who I've never heard mentioned on national TV before. The fact that Potter is just one element in the setup (albeit one of the most important) is lost on a lot of people.

Shame that Swannie didn't get a mention as well, this guy clearly doesn't know everything!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Of course not. Over the last fifty years ‘smaller’ clubs have dared to challenge and been reasonably successful over a limited period of time - examples being Nottingham Forest, Ipswich, Aston Villa, Southampton, Leeds(!), Southampton and Leicester. They might not have all taken top spot, but positions 2 to 4 is still commendable. Realistically, and on current form, maybe that could be us as well.

Consistently top half, with occasional better and worse years (whilst avoiding any relegation drama), plus a few overseas trips and a trophy now and again would be perfectly ok with me.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Huge insight and well researched piece. Great journalism, the ex players stealing a living should take note

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
What I liked about the piece was that it was the first that I'd seen that didn't just focus on Potter and Bloom. It not only highlighted Barber, who's rarely mentioned, but also Weir, Winstanley and Macauley, who I've never heard mentioned on national TV before. The fact that Potter is just one element in the setup (albeit one of the most important) is lost on a lot of people.

Agreed that it’s a smart piece and agreed that that that level of detail and citing names of back room staff In Albion pieces is rare. That said, It’s not every week because outlets don’t always go into such depth , but again surprised at notion on this thread by some that this is the first time national tv, radio , press , podcasts - or indeed local - have gone into such depth analysing or acknowledging the Albion set up. Or making these points about infrastructure, people and transfers.
They do. Frequently.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
but again surprised at notion on this thread by some that this is the first time national tv, radio or television read - or indeed local - have gone into such depth analysing or acknowledging the Albion set up. Or making these points about infrastructure, people and transfers.
They do. Frequently.

That's just not true. I've just done a Google search for Kyle Macauley and Paul Winstanley. In the past year they've been mentioned precisely once in articles outside Sussex (both times by Andy Naylor in The Athletic). Stretching it a little, there was a Forbes article that mentioned Winstanley 13 months ago but I certainly wouldn't call three articles in the last couple of years as frequent mentions.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Lots of back slapping at the moment can we be consistent this season?

Apart from the Fulham game we have been pretty consistent, and that is not only over the 6 games this season but also the final 8 of last season.

We are by no means world beaters, but we are starting this season from a higher base level than we were last.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Apart from the Fulham game we have been pretty consistent, and that is not only over the 6 games this season but also the final 8 of last season.

We are by no means world beaters, but we are starting this season from a higher base level than we were last.
Last season’s end has been almost typical of past seasons strongish start followed by a mid season slump under Potter I’m hoping we can be more consistent throughout this season.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;10375642 said:
Thanks for posting! Not come across that guy before, but blimey that has to be one of the most well researched pieces I’ve ever seen about us! Either that or he’s an Albion fan!

Well played sir!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He isn't an Albion fan but we are part of his patch and he's a regular at Potter press conferences and so spends a fair amount of time at the training ground.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here