Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Skalak

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Jury's still out for me, which is a strange thing to say after last night's boom goal. But the jury's still out because that was pretty much the exception during open play. I can only really think of that stunning cross he put in at MK Dons as another example. His set-pieces are unarguable and divine, and I'm willing to view his selection mostly on that basis, particularly given the importance of goals from set-pieces and how, all of a sudden, we've started scoring from them in the past five or ten games. That's not a coincidence. I also love his work-rate but, then again, I love most of our players' work-rate -- note, for instance, how Murphy managed to nullify Phillips last night who was looking very dangerous at that point. We could also point to his tenacity.
What I remain to be convinced about with Skalak is his decision-making in open play. Even last night, he seemed to make a number of bad decisions when better ones were available to him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Knockeart's free kick was the same. How many players would you see doing that in the championship? They're both so gifted, exceptional footballers
In fairness we've seen plenty, if not all, Albion players not doing that in the Championship, this season.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
In fairness we've seen plenty, if not all, Albion players not doing that in the Championship, this season.

Plus all the other teams players and all their subs. So that makes what we've been witnessing recently pretty unique

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
If he comes from the Czech league we can assume he hasn't been tested by the level of pace and demands as found in Championship football. So... he is doing more than enough to warrant his place in the line up through his immense ability in certain areas of his play, as we are coming to realise, and I would hope that we will see advances in open play decision making and quality as he gains experience here. Quality player already - just a curious one in terms of hero and villain in the realms of his ability. I like to visualise his stats as though on Champ Manager...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Jiri is only going to get better the more time he is given and he's earning his minutes at the moment. It's kind of crazy that Murphy who is a key player is now being kept out of the starting line-up. 5 assists and a goal in your last 5 starts will do that.
At the beginning of the game when we need to score, I like having Skalak on, as he'll put balls into the box and the rest of the team will be trying to get on the end of it, as we need a goal. If the opponents then need a goal, bringing on Murphy is good as he can play on the break, which will be particularly effective if the opponents are tiring.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I've been trying to work out why some people still don't rate him even though the number of assists he has is incredible.
I think it's down to his playing style and the fact that our other wingers can go past a player. Jiri isn't that kind of winger, but he'll make clear chances for the forwards at least a couple of times a game.
Some people here wouldn't have Milner in the squad.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
When player wasn't cutting out, Warren kept saying "he keeps coming inside, wide players should play wide" and then forgave him when he scored a potential goal of the season.
I thought it was Bob Booker?

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
JIRI JIRI.jpg

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
At the beginning of the game when we need to score, I like having Skalak on, as he'll put balls into the box and the rest of the team will be trying to get on the end of it, as we need a goal. If the opponents then need a goal, bringing on Murphy is good as he can play on the break, which will be particularly effective if the opponents are tiring.

Did not think of this. Makes a lot of sense.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Jury's still out for me, which is a strange thing to say after last night's boom goal. But the jury's still out because that was pretty much the exception during open play. I can only really think of that stunning cross he put in at MK Dons as another example.

Assist at Cardiff was from open play.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Won us the game again today. Well done that man, beautiful side foot finish in the top corner!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Looking at the first page of this thread there's some very sneery comments from very sneery people who seem to be posting elsewhere now #KingJiri

c37ef464bc629a24201d9ce2866a7baa.jpg

Sent from Konnie Huq's lingerie drawer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here