Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Sir Keir Starmer’s route to Number 10

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Not solved but addressed… and funded sooner than the second term is really my main point
Well hopefully. I'm sort of expecting the next government to enter the treasury to find everything that wasn't nailed down has been flogged on whatever resale/social media site the kids use nowadays, so I'm not terribly optimistic of any short term progress.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Well hopefully. I'm sort of expecting the next government to enter the treasury to find everything that wasn't nailed down has been flogged on whatever resale/social media site the kids use nowadays, so I'm not terribly optimistic of any short term progress.
As well as a note saying “ Dear Chief Secretary, I'm afraid there is no money. Kind regards – and good luck!”

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Knowing this bunch of shysters, they will have flogged it off on the cheap to their mates - who will then resell it on your suggested sites for three times what they had paid the UK Government for it.

BenGarfield

Feb 22, 2019
crawley
Crikey. Is it really that easy? Why don't the government go the whole hog and just print tonnes of money and give everyone in the country some of it. £10m each would do it. We could all have everything we wanted and everyone would be happy. What could possibly go wrong? I cannot believe that no-one has thought of this before. It's so simple.
Yes it is that simple. The only constraints are the actual resources. And yes it has been done before - mobilisation of resources for the second world war as laid out by the economist John Maynard Keynes in a BBC broadcast and Listener article in April 1942

“ I am sure there have been many listeners who have been muttering: “That’s all very well, but how is it to be paid for?”

Let me begin by telling you how I tried to answer an eminent architect who pushed on one side all the grandiose plans to rebuild London with the phrase: “Where’s the money to come from?” “The money?” I said. “But surely, Sir John, you don’t build houses with money? Do you mean that there won’t be enough bricks and mortar and steel and cement?”
Assuredly we can afford this and much more. Anything we can actually do we can afford. Once done, it is there. Nothing can take it from us”

BenGarfield

Feb 22, 2019
crawley
You should have mentioned this wonderful theory of yours before :facepalm:

It must be tough being the only economically literate person in a completely economically illiterate world. You have my sympathies :lolol:
Not just me, as well you know, thousands of economists throughout the world, including, for example, Senator John Yarmuth head of President Bidens budget committee

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Not just me, as well you know, thousands of economists throughout the world, including, for example, Senator John Yarmuth head of President Bidens budget committee

So you, John Yarmuth and thousands of unnamed others all believe that Governments can spend with no limits or source of funding. Good Luck

Maybe you and John should start your own political party :thumbsup:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
All anti tories should put their feelings to one side for the next few months. They are toast anyway.

Now is the time to properly scrutinise Starmer and the next cabinet.

There is a real danger he will come to power without having had to sweat, or say very much at all.

It is not in the general public’s interest for this to happen, whatever party they support.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
So you, John Yarmuth and thousands of unnamed others all believe that Governments can spend with no limits or source of funding. Good Luck

Maybe you and John should start your own political party :thumbsup:
I think he's correct. Up to a point. There is no constraint to government spending. The idea of equating a governent budget with a household budget is (deliberate) stupidity. However, if you are going to pump that level of funding into the economy, and don't want rampant inflation, then you also need to be prepared to take money out of the economy via taxation. The trick is to take money out from where it is less productive and more damaging (in the pockets and assets of the wealthy and wherever it causes social and environmental damage) and put it back in where it is most useful, eg government spending on public 'good'. And this is where Labour have bottled it. Horribly.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
All anti tories should put their feelings to one side for the next few months. They are toast anyway.

There is a real danger he will come to power without having had to sweat, or say very much at all.

It is not in the general public’s interest for this to happen, whatever party they support.
As you say, the Tories are done.

Some will argue however that the grey, nothingness of the incoming blandness is nothing other than the shrewdest of master plans, and all in the garden will be rosy, red rosy.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Some will argue however that the grey, nothingness of the incoming blandness is nothing other than the shrewdest of master plans, and all in the garden will be rosy, red rosy.

And some won't, but surely nobody is stupid enough to want more of the current cabal and attack any alternative at every opportunity :smile:

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

I'll believe the Conservatives are toast when I see them voted out.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think he's correct. Up to a point. There is no constraint to government spending. The idea of equating a governent budget with a household budget is (deliberate) stupidity. However, if you are going to pump that level of funding into the economy, and don't want rampant inflation, then you also need to be prepared to take money out of the economy via taxation. The trick is to take money out from where it is less productive and more damaging (in the pockets and assets of the wealthy and wherever it causes social and environmental damage) and put it back in where it is most useful, eg government spending on public 'good'. And this is where Labour have bottled it. Horribly.
he really isn't. otherwise governments would try to print their way of any political problem. they do try in South America from time to time and collapse their economy and currency every time.
the household budget model is a reasonable approximation, in so far as government has income (tax) and outgoings (public services), if the second is greater then they need to borrow. if there is less income, some outgoings will be trimmed or borrowing increased. if you borrow too much, you end up paying a lot for interest and cant get the debt down (where we are today). that's all it is, a simplification.

Last edited:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

so what is your take on all this?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here