Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Sir Keir Starmer’s route to Number 10

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Not much point in discussing this in Arundel & South Downs, Griffith has a Tory majority of almost 23,000, can't see Keir melting that away.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
i cant remember the exact phrase but wasn't there a hand written message when Labour lost power, something like "sorry we spent it all". If (when?) The conservatives lose i recon someone will reply with "we've syphoned off all the tax payers money to pay for our pensions"
Every time the Treasury changes hands, it is a standing joke for the next Chancellor. Surely you weren’t taken in by Greg Hands? :facepalm:

Another example was the Tory chancellor Reginald Maudling, who bounced down the steps of the Treasury in 1964 to tell Jim Callaghan: “Sorry to leave it in such a mess, old cock.”

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I did consider Attlee, indeed many of the challenges he faced will also be facing Starmer, i.e. years of economic hardship and stagnation, high taxes, no money left, wars.

Overall, I think Labour blew it in 1951. Those years 51-55 should have been Part 2 of Labour's post-war recovery, but I don't think the public felt the love and weren't happy about going to war in Korea and rationing still being around 5 years after the end of WW2.

Starmer would do well to heed the lessons from 1951 because there is no point being a "one and done" government. He needs to level with the British people, manage expectation and prepare them for a 10-year, 2 term job to fix growth, the NHS, immigration, defence and our relationship with Europe .
TBF to Attlee, it wasn't a 'one and done' government. He won two elections: 1945 and 1950. They achieved no end. Not only founding the NHS and solidifying the welfare state, the nationalisation of the utilities, but they also began the process of paying down national debt from record historical levels through public investment and not austerity.
The public fell out of love, one of the primary reasons being the continuation of rationing.
But, yes, the Starmer government will have no end to do, and they won't be able to achieve it through a 'one and done' parliament.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Every time the Treasury changes hands, it is a standing joke for the next Chancellor. Surely you weren’t taken in by Greg Hands? :facepalm:

Another example was the Tory chancellor Reginald Maudling, who bounced down the steps of the Treasury in 1964 to tell Jim Callaghan: “Sorry to leave it in such a mess, old cock.”
Some people are still clinging on to this as a reason to vote conservative. Confirmation bias at its most pitiful.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Where did this silly thing of “You’re with us on every single issue, or I’ll vote elsewhere” come from? The real world isn’t black and white.
I blame Marmite.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
TBF to Attlee, it wasn't a 'one and done' government. He won two elections: 1945 and 1950. They achieved no end. Not only founding the NHS and solidifying the welfare state, the nationalisation of the utilities, but they also began the process of paying down national debt from record historical levels through public investment and not austerity.
The public fell out of love, one of the primary reasons being the continuation of rationing.
But, yes, the Starmer government will have no end to do, and they won't be able to achieve it through a 'one and done' parliament.
There was quite a lot of austerity involved in that post 1945 labour government (hence the continuation of rationing).
It does that government a disservice to suggest that they went out and spent the problems away, it was much more difficult and complicated than that.
It was also, as you rightly say, the main reason why they were eventually voted out. That and half the cabinet dropping dead from exhaustion over the course of the 5years they were in power.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
The internet search is spinning this as Starmer 'hails' Thatcher.

All he said was this: (Thatcher) "sought to drag Britain out of its stupor by setting loose our natural entrepreneurialism."

That's all he said. It is a fact. Am I, a labour member, offended. No. I think the reaction is hilarious.

One of my brothers is so angry that Corbyn is gone that he says he'd rather see the tories win than 'tory light' Starmer (he called Blair 'tory light' too) win. Tough. Ha ha. And bollocks.

If you want to waste your vote on the liberals (unless voting strategically in a seat labour cannot win) and see another tory clusterfuck, fill yet boots.
Don’t worry about your bro, Harry, many of us have ‘mad’ family members!

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I worked for a long time with purported LibDem voters, their associates were LibDem councillors.

Everyone was posh, tax cheating, loaded, snobs, I had more of a social conscience as a floating voter, they treated staff like sh1t.

I got the impression it was a look at me “I’m not right wing” thing, a legacy from the days of Tim Sainsbury and Julien Avery.
Haha, so true of many of this type.
Doesn’t come as much of a surprise.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
I will have to sit down and review my thoughts on Keir and the fact he even mentioned Thatcher in a positive way. But as of today I am still, extremely worried on who he really is and what he will do in government. For Keir to say such a thing so close to guarding his wicket so cleanly, and then to come out after tea looking to swing for sixes, when he isn't that sort of player, is very worrying, how right is he?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I will have to sit down and review my thoughts on Keir and the fact he even mentioned Thatcher in a positive way. But as of today I am still, extremely worried on who he really is and what he will do in government. For Keir to say such a thing so close to guarding his wicket so cleanly, and then to come out after tea looking to swing for sixes, when he isn't that sort of player, is very worrying, how right is he?
If you are that worried, I should go and have a quiet lie down in the pavilion, have a sandwich, a cup of tea and read one of HWT’s posts on what Starmer actually said. You’ll then be able to go out and play a blinder in the second innings.😉👍

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I don’t think his comments on Thatcher were aimed at you.

Millions voted for Johnson. It’s absolutely astonishing that such a scoundrel could convince good people he has anything to offer. If they are that easily won, I suspect some warm words on Thatcher, comparing her to the current group of chancers, is going to do Labour very well indeed.

He might loose the ‘loony left’ vote but those red walls are going to be rebuilt at the next election, higher than you can possibly imagine.

As for the ‘blue wall’ down south, it might not only be the Lib Dem’s doing a demoliton job on it.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I genuinely don’t think I can remember a story where what someone said and what people are furious about because they think he said it are so far apart

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I genuinely don’t think I can remember a story where what someone said and what people are furious about because they think he said it are so far apart
That time Peter Moores was interviewed after an England defeat and said "we'll have a look at that later" but it was reported as "we'll have a look at the data" and used to slag him off as a mindless automaton comes to my mind.
Or for the less cricket obsessed, that time John Lennon never said that Ringo Starr wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I don’t think his comments on Thatcher were aimed at you.

Millions voted for Johnson. It’s absolutely astonishing that such a scoundrel could convince good people he has anything to offer. If they are that easily won, I suspect some warm words on Thatcher, comparing her to the current group of chancers, is going to do Labour very well indeed.

He might loose the ‘loony left’ vote but those red walls are going to be rebuilt at the next election, higher than you can possibly imagine.

As for the ‘blue wall’ down south, it might not only be the Lib Dem’s doing a demoliton job on it.
I know that it has been said before, but Johnson versus Corbyn was not showing off British political talent at its best.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The one group I think the Thatcher remarks will alienate are the Scots, the SNP will milk this.

I'm not worried about Starmer at all, we just need to stop the rot and try and get us back in the Premier League. Right now in we're mid-table Championship which the potential of a large points deduction

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The one group I think the Thatcher remarks will alienate are the Scots, the SNP will milk this.

I'm not worried about Starmer at all, we just need to stop the rot and try and get us back in the Premier League. Right now in we're mid-table Championship which the potential of a large points deduction

And without a win or reasonable performance in 4 years :down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here