Sir Bradley Wiggins ...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is your point exactly?
My point is to let Mr Wiggins speak for himself, rather than for us to rely on your assessment of his attitude to "hereditory privalege" (or hereditary privilege, as some folk refer to it). And possibly to add to the discussion by pointing out that a knighthood isn't an hereditary honour.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007

Don't see a problem with that. In fact, he's probably the sportsman I see myself as most similar to myself if (not that it would ever happen) I were to be in his position. Very likeable guy, not fussed with attracting all the attention and an out there lifestyle, just a normal guy who happens to be very good at what he does.

Seemingly, he wants to stay that way. Hence, the title will not be used on a day to day basis. Nothing wrong IMO.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
My point is to let Mr Wiggins speak for himself, rather than for us to rely on your assessment of his attitude to "hereditory privalege" (or hereditary privilege, as some folk refer to it). And possibly to add to the discussion by pointing out that a knighthood isn't an hereditary honour.

So says a f***ing Lord.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Bull S****, Bradley Wiggins has openely stated his opposition to any hereditory privalege. Hence he's attitude on recieving the Sports Personality of the Year from the Duchess of Cambridge. Balls to him! I think he is an arrogant pleb, admitedly fit after TDF but mentally deficient!

That's the Australian in him coming out.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
T'is an odd thing being Sir Bradley of Wigginshire.

When the adulation didn't arrive post Athens it damn near killed him, and cost him almost everything in a cycle of depressive alcohol misuse, (some might say that was the Australian in him coming out :lol: :kiss:).
Now all the adulation and more is being heaped on him he doesn't want to know.

But the alcohol misuse is still there, and such a serious issue is still lazily and jokingly referred to in every interview.

It's wouldn't be the longest line to draw in the world to say, had his ability on a bike and the desire to be coached by DB not been there, he too would have been drunkenly kicked to death, by now.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
When the adulation didn't arrive post Athens it damn near killed him, and cost him almost everything in a cycle of depressive alcohol misuse, (some might say that was the Australian in him coming out :lol: :kiss:).

You're not far off the mark there, his dad Gary was a talented cyclist but also a massive alcoholic.

Whose alcoholism most likely ended in his death by suspicious circumstances.

Ward1971

Oct 24, 2012
Can't quite believe there isn't a knighthood for Phil Taylor - apparently the greatest English Sportsman ever?!? So disappointing :D

Looking at the list of who has got them ,based on the sporting achievements of those who have them ! being an ambassador of his sport for 20 + years and world champion 15 times then yes he should. It might only be darts but riding round in a circle is hardly a sport is it ?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Looking at the list of who has got them ,based on the sporting achievements of those who have them ! being an ambassador of his sport for 20 + years and world champion 15 times then yes he should. It might only be darts but riding round in a circle is hardly a sport is it ?

You really think throwing a dart in a pub is comparable to the Tour de France?

Ward1971

Oct 24, 2012
You really think throwing a dart in a pub is comparable to the Tour de France?

Wasn't referring to Wiggins or tour de france , unless they go round in circles do they ?

I think people are missing the point on my Phil Taylor quotes.

Like it or not Darts is a professional sport, I didn't personally sanction that .

What Phil Taylor has achieved is second to none , to stay at the very top of a professional sport for 20+ years and win the world title 15 times on top of numerous other major titles is second to none .

It still requires the same dedication as any other sport and in a lot of ways it's mentally tougher as its not a team sport , you can't rely on team mates to get you out of a bad day at the office.

Like him or not he has taken darts to another level and made it a more popular sport by bringing into the limelight .

Cycling was a hobby until Chris H went round in circles really fast and won some golds and all credit to him , but Taylor has done the exact same for Darts

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
David weir should of been given a knighthood, in my opinion no other athlete came close to his achievement 4 events 4 Gold inc the Marathon in 8 Days

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
You are all missing the most important award in the list - Simon Fanshawe, OBE

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
And drinking beer throwing arrows is a sport?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports