Single Malt

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

DanielT

My two favourites are Laphroaig Quarter Cask and Talisker 18 year.

the 10-year Laphroaig is a bit rough, so don't judge all Islay whiskys on that one!

If you want to gently adapt your palate to the peaty smoky taste, Ardbeg is a very mild Islay. Put a drop or two of water in to totally change the taste, then decide if you like it with or without

My Name Is Gully

May 9, 2008
Dorset
If I want a peaty Islay sensation = Laphroaig Quarter Cask

If I want a Highland note = The Balvenie DoubleWood

Secret Seagull

Nov 5, 2011
For the novice an Islay malt might be a bit hard hitting. I have recently been enjoying the smooth drinkability of the blended malts (not to be confused with the blended mass produced rubbish). I believe Monkey Shoulder is now available south of the border and I fully recommend it.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I called in to this place the other day

Photos of St. George's distillery.

and am thoroughly enjoying their Chapter 6 and Chapter 9

The only problem is that I am in danger of breaking in to the bottle I bought for my Scottish mate for Christmas

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
For the novice an Islay malt might be a bit hard hitting. I have recently been enjoying the smooth drinkability of the blended malts (not to be confused with the blended mass produced rubbish). I believe Monkey Shoulder is now available south of the border and I fully recommend it.
Welcome to NSC... a rather distinguished first post.

Has anyone tried Bells mixed with just a splash of lemonade? Lovely.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Aldi has a 18 yr old Glen Moray for £19, anyone given it a try? Get be an excellent bargain?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
OK, I am a complete novice but would like to get in to my Whiskey. I have to confess that I have found it hard work sipping on the odd neat glass. Can someone give me a good one to start with that is not too powerful or strong flavoured to work my way in? (not sure if that would be a single malt or blended etc, as I say I am a novice).

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If you can, get yourself to Cadenheads shop (Chiltern Street, W1) and have a few tastes, then you'll get a good idea of the sheer variety available, and may even find a gem that you'll make your mind up on.

If you live in Brighton, you may find the monthly Malt n Copper tastings up your street (they're held in the Lord Nelson on Trafalgar St).
- Home

It's a chance to try a variety of whiskies every month.

I personally think it's impossible to say which one's the best or the ideal beginner's. I love Laphroig, probably my favourite tipple of all, but it's an acquired taste. Superphil's right, you have to try lots of different types until you find your favourite.

Slainte.

Jun 24, 2010
Goring
Don't shoot me down as this requires an open mind, but I tried a Japanese single malt recently. Called Yamakazi and was superb. 39 per bottle. Angel juice

KLF

Albion Boleh!
Oct 27, 2004
Living next door to Gully
Japanese whiskies have been winning awards every year since around 2002. There's some really good ones, Yamakazi is very drinkable.

Favourite of all time was Ardbeg 17 yo ( I think) which I drank with my Glaswegian Father in law. Beautiful. It was only after we finished the bottle off that I found out it was worth £250 a bottle.

If you're in London try the Whisky tasting at Albannach bar on Trafalgar square. Good fun and a great array of whiskies to sup in the bar afterwards. From £6 a glass to £760!!!

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
Albannach was a client until recently. They dropped an Auchentoshan 1966 and the bottle cracked but didn't break. They couldn't sell it in case there was a tiny shard of glass in it somewhere so we drunk it ourselves. I have to say it was incredible and strangely didn't really taste like a whiskey.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Ardbeg is a very mild Islay. Put a drop or two of water in to totally change the taste, then decide if you like it with or without

Ardbeg is actually one of the most heavily peated Islay whiskies, so possibly might not want to start there - although I love the stuff from the standard ten year old, to the Supernova releases.

If you want something special - the Bruichladdich Octomore IS the most heavily peated. And its amazing, although at cask strength you may want to add a touch of water.

As someone said earlier, Glengoyne is pretty easy to start with - although maybe a little characterless for some.

Highland Park is one of the greats - the 30 year old is amazing, although the other distillery on Orkney, Scapa, produces one of my favourite single malts in the 16 year old.

As for Irish - the Redbreast 15year old or Green Spot by Mitchell & Co are the two I go for.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
For newbies to malt whisky,perhaps try Glenkinchie,a lowland malt also known as the 'Edinburgh Malt'.This has a gentle taste and is distilled in a lovely little distillery on the hills not far from Edinburgh.It has a good visitors centre and is well worth a visit if you are in the area.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports