Single Malt

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Laphroaig and Talisker are the supreme Islay malts. If you like something more subtle then Isle of Jura is hard to beat.

No sure the Talisker Distillery on Skye would wan't to be lumped with the Islay Malts, they are quite different!

Caol Ila is my fave!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Caol Isla is my favourite, an islay but far smoother than the others mentioned here. I tried the Penderyn from Wales, didn't like it at all, and would imagine most 'novice' drinkers would not like it.

It's an impossible task to say what is the best, the cognoscenti tend to regularly favour macallan, but I find it too rich. Try Glen Moray, subtle highland, smooth, and ideal for all tastes. Others that are not overly demanding like Glenturret, Highland Park, Balvenie, all should be perfect Xmas drops. The heavy duty Islays are a little too heavy if you're passing them out for all to enjoy.

If you can, get yourself to Cadenheads shop (Chiltern Street, W1) and have a few tastes, then you'll get a good idea of the sheer variety available, and may even find a gem that you'll make your mind up on.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I can see this thread maybe providing more questions than answers! I guess it's a case (excuse the pun) of diving in...

Go for it - you'll have a huge amount of pleasure experimenting & finding out which ones you prefer.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
No sure the Talisker Distillery on Skye would wan't to be lumped with the Islay Malts, they are quite different!

Caol Ila is my fave![/QUOTE

You are quite right about Talisker being the only distillery on Skye - my error - although I do think it is very similar to the more peppery fiery Islay malts.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Laphroaig and Talisker are the supreme Islay malts. If you like something more subtle then Isle of Jura is hard to beat.

this. though never tried Irish. i reckon there's something similar to wines with malt whiskey, unless you are a proper connoisseur you would note much difference between £30 and £130 bottle, and what one person or group thinks is the best, another might find ordinary.

I am with Catfish.. The Jura prophecy is my current tipple...

http://www.isleofjura.com/shop/product.aspx?ShopItemID=3

Talisker's from SKYE.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Caol Isla is my favourite, an islay but far smoother than the others mentioned here. I tried the Penderyn from Wales, didn't like it at all, and would imagine most 'novice' drinkers would think.
it's very easy drinking and peat free, surely ideal for beginners?

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I like Bruichladdich single malts.

However my favourites are Nikka Yoichi and Suntory Hibiki. They're Japanese and AMAZING.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Shall be book marking this thread! It was a Auchentoshan that I apparently tried in the summer which has ignited the interest. So the Amazon xmas wish list now includes; Auchentoshan Three Wood, Highland Park 12 yr, Glengoyne 10 yr. I thought I'd start with one of these as they all sound smooth and suitable for a beginners palette.

In looking around drinksupermarket appear to be cheapest, although look out for Amazon as drink supermarket sell through them but the bottles are about £5 more expensive than if you go direct to their site (inc. delivery).

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
I want to get a decent single malt whisky for xmas, particularly enjoyed a friends round the camp fire in the summer (don't recall what it was).

Don't drink a huge amount of it, so wanted to get a good quality one (but hopefully not requiring a bank loan).

Any suggestions welcome.:whisky:

Glenlivet

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
it's very easy drinking and peat free, surely ideal for beginners?

I guess it's impossible to tell what one would say over another. As a seasoned Malt drinker IMO I wouldnt suggest anyone drinks the Welsh one, I really did find it unpleasant and not good enough to be sold as a single malt whiskey, but that is my opinion. A really good learner whiskey is Dalwhinnie from just down the road from Avimore and Glenkinchie from just outside Edinburgh.

But, as mentioned before, go and have fun trying them, oh, and never mention Dimple again.

2 more things,

do try Japanese malts, some are stunning.

don't try , Amrut Indian malt whiskey, it makes your head hurt while you are drinking it, let alone in the morning after.

Last edited:

Amahwrang

I usually am
Feb 2, 2011
Glasgow
If smooth and slightly sweet are your thing then push the boat out a bit and go for Auchentoshan Three Wood well worth the extra it is my favourite malt! It's finished in sherry casks which give it the added sweetness and smooth after taste YUM YUM YUM. Might just have to have one before dinner now!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Try Penderyn, produced not far from where I live, its very nice indeed.

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove
On my shelf at the moment are
Talisker : (Sorry. Not at all like an Islay, but it is a distinctive taste)
Dalwhinnie
Glenlivet

All three are excellent choices for someone dipping their nose in to see why a single malt is different to a blended.

The Dalwhinnie is my favourite, very smooth and drinkable, the Talisker is there for something a little different, a bit "smokier" on the palate.
The Glenlivet is a very ordinary inoffensive whisky, which was bought for me in error by a friend. :) One for "just drinking" rather than savouring.

The Welsh one, mentioned above, I tried a few years back. It was OK, but I wouldn't recommend it or go out of my way to replace the bottle.

Interested in the Japanese ones.. Any recommendations? ...and where would you source them?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports