Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Significant transfer news at 3pm **C O G Staying**

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
CMS is twice the player of COG.

No idea where this recent misconception that COG is a decent Championship striker has come from, apart from the fact he's had a couple of good games recently.

CMS has scored over 140 career goals. COG has scored less than half of that - and that's in League One/Two.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad COG has stayed because we need him - but if he's still here next season, then it's clear we don't have serious promotion ambitions.

probably because some of us keep up
he scored 15 goals in a rubbish team last season
and if he goes on the way he is at the moment he will have been a snip

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
CMS is twice the player of COG.

No idea where this recent misconception that COG is a decent Championship striker has come from, apart from the fact he's had a couple of good games recently.

CMS has scored over 140 career goals. COG has scored less than half of that - and that's in League One/Two.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad COG has stayed because we need him - but if he's still here next season, then it's clear we don't have serious promotion ambitions.

Or you could have to eat your own words of course. One of his few games he scored against Arsenal.

I would say that he is stronger than Ulloa at holding up and protecting the ball, and if Hughton believes in him it doesn't leave me with any doubts in his ability.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Or you could have to eat your own words of course. One of his few games he scored against Arsenal.

I would say that he is stronger than Ulloa at holding up and protecting the ball, and if Hughton believes in him it doesn't leave me with any doubts in his ability.
Be honest.

Ulloa struggled to hold the ball up because he was lying on the floor with his arms spread wide.

Honesty would appear to be one of CoG's talents.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Of course I hope you're right, and COG proves me wrong.

However, I suspect that Hughton is keeping him purely because he's on form and we simply have no other options.

I've been a football fan for long enough to know that a player who has been average League One/Two player for his entire career, isn't suddenly going to become a decent Championship striker at 29

15 goals last season in a rubbish team in the
championship

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Of course I hope you're right, and COG proves me wrong.

However, I suspect that Hughton is keeping him purely because he's on form and we simply have no other options.

I've been a football fan for long enough to know that a player who has been average League One/Two player for his entire career, isn't suddenly going to become a decent Championship striker at 29

Murray suddenly became a decent Championship striker at 29 so it blows this assumption out the window.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Where have you been for the last 40 odd years. Ever since following the club from 1976, year on year the price goes up (possibly with a couple of exceptions) and a lot of that time the dross served up hasn't been good. The 90s spring to mind! Of course there are some years which are better than the preceding one but I can't honestly recall the club setting prices to relate to the anticipated standard of football!

So you used to get a programme, three pints of beer and a steak and ale pie at the Goldstone in the 90s did you? Course you didn't. The price of EVERYTHING has gone up and is now disproportionate to the wages of the average fan. Why not talk to some of our old school fans about what was more affordable, then or now. Why not google some basic stuff of the cost of modern football? Its not difficult.

Secondly, while we had Bellotti lecturing us in the programme about how he was a great guy, just cutting costs, yada yada, to cover himself, no one was actually coming out with guff like "Premier League Ready" and "One Ambition".

So, in conclusion, we are paying a higher proportion of our disposable income than ever before on a promise that's not been delivered. Better?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Players (currently) leaving in the summer :

GK : Ankers

Defenders : Hughes, Halford, Bennett, Calderon :nono:

Midfielders : Kemy :rock:, Tex, McCourt ( if option not taken )

Strikers : CMS, Best

Plenty of work to do in the summer. It would be wise to get 1 or 2 more replacements sorted out now, particularly if a couple of the above leave this window, or go out on loan.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Well I'm made up with this news - high point of my day.

I admit I've had a bloody awful day but that's beside the point.

Made up for us, made up for COG, made up.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I'm pleased he's staying, but I'm bitterly disappointed we won't be doing any more business before the window SLAMS SHUT.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

And yet you rate CMS (30) as being "twice the player" COG is ? Well lets look at the stats

CMS at Brighton: 21 goals in 93 appearances (0.22)
COG at Barnsley: 22 goals in 56 appearances (0.39)

So not far off DOUBLE the scoring rate at this level, in what was a perenially struggling Barnsley team. Are you SURE that CMS is twice the player ? ???
I think you might have that the wrong way round.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Shirley comparing CMS & CoG, is the equivalent of comparing a whippet with a Great Dane.
Technically they are the same, generally do the same things, but specifically they are very different.

Feel free to cheap shot away at a virtually open goal.

Personally with CoG staying, confident, and supported on and off the field.
I'm looking forward to the prospect of a Great Dane AND a Whippet (whichever one) playing up front together.

It's likely to be a vast improvement (by virtue of the fact it couldn't get much worse) on what has preceded it throughout the short history of the AMEX.

Add a fit, forward thinking, attack minded, pivotal midfielder into the mix, and it would appear Hughtown has the one that has also been lacking for a while.

A fit and healthy squad.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Selective use of stats, I can do that too.

COG league appearances/goals for Brighton 12/0 (0)
CMS league appearances/goals for Brighton 92/21 (0.22)

COG league appearances/goals not at Barnsley 288/60 (0.2)
CMS league appearances/goals not at Brighton 322/119 (0.37)

COG Career overall 344/81 (0.23)
CMS Career overall 406/140 (0.34)

Maybe not "twice" the player, but not far off - especially when you consider COG has played at a lower level more recently

The RELEVANT stats are the ones where they have played and scored at this level - I am ignoring their L1/L2 records as its irrelevant to us as a Championship club.

And whilst COG's short Albion career in terms of goals is obviously poor so far, he has only just recently started playing for a manager who actually has half a clue and (crucially) *wants* him at the club. Plus we have been utter GASH all season up until recently, as were Barnsley. Whereas CMS has featured in a top 6 team most of his career here.

I'm not saying COG is Marco van Basten, but to imply he's not fit to lick the piss off CMS's bogseat is something of a stretch IMO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here