Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should Stephens start on Saturday?

Should Dale Stephens start against Brentford on Saturday?

• Of course, Hughton said he's been good as gold & he's one of our best players

Votes: 220 89.1%
  • No chance, he might still be in a sulk & Hughton won't want to risk him getting stick from fans

Votes: 27 10.9%

• Total voters

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Sensibly and pragmatically you'd play him, but there is that little part of me that wants to punch him in the face.

Is that a fair summary?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We fought to keep Bridcutt and Buckley, they both turned out well didn't they. The day Stephens put in a transfer request he should have been sold.

Bridcutt left in the same transfer window. Buckley got injured so stayed on until the summer.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Play Dale.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Bridcutt left in the same transfer window. Buckley got injured so stayed on until the summer.

Yes Bridicutt did leave in the same window as the club received the offer for him, but only after we rejected the offers and only when the player then put in an official transfer request. The Buckley bids were rejected and he stayed, but never performed the same again for the club

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spor...derland-close-bridcutt-after-brighton-6478694
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/11412557.Albion_boss_hits_out_at_Buckley/
I just feel when a player states he wants to go, (as Bridcutt did and Stephens has done) then let them, as Bridcutt and Buckley showed they never performed to their best after the request/bids were rejected. But we will see how Stephens performs in the next few months.

Last edited:

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
He's here now till most likely the end of the season. He's going to want to play to the best of his ability to either get us promoted and for fill his ambition of playing PL football or get himself noticed again so he can pick a club in the PL for next season when he is snapped up on a free transfer. No point in him sulking about not getting a move as just puts his own future in jepoady

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
We do not look convincing without Stephens in the starting line up alongside Kayal, so cannot afford to omit him.

Sidwell is very handy but not as dynamic as Stephens. Norwood shows good potential but my first impressions are that he hasn't got the same presence.

So if Hughton shows faith in Dale then that's OK with me. Stephens might be a bit rusty for a couple of games but if he shows a decent attitude then no problem.

I'll save any ill feeling for his agent.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes Bridicutt did leave in the same window as the club received the offer for him, but only after we rejected the offers and only when the player then put in an official transfer request. The Buckley bids were rejected and he stayed, but never performed the same again for the club

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spor...derland-close-bridcutt-after-brighton-6478694
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/11412557.Albion_boss_hits_out_at_Buckley/
I just feel when a player states he wants to go, (as Bridcutt did and Stephens has done) then let them, as Bridcutt and Buckley showed they never performed to their best after the request/bids were rejected. But we will see how Stephens performs in the next few months.

I think you've already made your mind up.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I think you've already made your mind up.

Yes I have made my mind up to the thread question, Should Stephens play Saturday and my mind is made up and it is a massive NO.
Why one earth should he just walk back into the side, what message does that send to players like Norwood and Sidwell if he is chosen in front of them. His head was obviously not in the right place for the games against Reading and Newcastle or the manager surely would have played him, so what has happened to him to change that?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes I have made my mind up to the thread question, Should Stephens play Saturday and my mind is made up and it is a massive NO.
Why one earth should he just walk back into the side, what message does that send to players like Norwood and Sidwell if he is chosen in front of them. His head was obviously not in the right place for the games against Reading and Newcastle or the manager surely would have played him, so what has happened to him to change that?

You don't know where his head was, and it's up to the manager, who does know. Norwood and Sidwell don't play in exactly the same position. Square pegs in square holes.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
If he doesn't sign a new contract, he will be worried about getting a serious injury from now and until the end of the season. May not be the same player as last season.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Look the only way to find out if Stephens is 'Up for it' or not is to play him. Home to Brentford is ideal. We have enough cover to Sub him off if he's not putting in a shift. What would be the point in keeping him and then not playing him? The player should be trying his very best to get his dream Prem move, if he doesn't, he's an idiot.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Look the only way to find out if Stephens is 'Up for it' or not is to play him. Home to Brentford is ideal. We have enough cover to Sub him off if he's not putting in a shift. What would be the point in keeping him and then not playing him? The player should be trying his very best to get his dream Prem move, if he doesn't, he's an idiot.

Far too 'sensible' :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here