should of been red cards today!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Isn't this a case of writing a sentence as you would speak it ? A lot of people say "should of" instead of "should have" in general conversation and when it is written down , the teachers no longer correct common mistakes or deduct marks from exam papers so it becomes accepted.

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
Does this mean we must now have a degree in English before we can comment on this forum.I am interested in the subject whether should have or would have is used does not change what is being stated and makes no difference to me and I certainally wont try and establish my superier grasp of English.
i HAVE POSSIBLY MADE A MIS-SPELLING OR TWO,sO!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Had your exercise book marked recently have you?
Back in the day if your homework was deemed to be substandard you were given a detention by the teachers. :) Mind you we are talking about the 1970's :eek:

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Back in the day if your homework was deemed to be substandard you were given a detention by the teachers.

:lolol:I don't know what papers you read, but I think you will find that even today in the age of people not caring, teachers will chase up substandard homework and, believe it or not, aim to encourage students to progress.

Does this mean we must now have a degree in English before we can comment on this forum.I am interested in the subject whether should have or would have is used does not change what is being stated and makes no difference to me and I certainally wont try and establish my superier grasp of English.
i HAVE POSSIBLY MADE A MIS-SPELLING OR TWO,sO!
I don't recall EVER reading the phrase "should of ... " until internet forums arrived.

It's not university-level English that is being asked for; merely a standard of English grammar that, within living memory, was achieved by ALL seven year olds.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
:lolol:I don't know what papers you read, but I think you will find that even today in the age of people not caring, teachers will chase up substandard homework and, believe it or not, aim to encourage students to progress.

Exam results in Hull & Grimsby would prove otherwise alongside vast swathes of the country that are becoming overrun with retards. It is sad that some adults in deprived areas (BNP potential voters ?) only have the literacy ability of a 7 year old.

I don't recall EVER reading the phrase "should of ... " until internet forums arrived.

It's not university-level English that is being asked for; merely a standard of English grammar that, within living memory, was achieved by ALL seven year olds.

Personally, I can't care too much about spelling or expect a high level of English from all posters (unless it suits me :thumbsup: )- only when someone takes the piss or picks apart, then they 'themselfs' had better be good!

We have had a couple of foreign posters on here in the past, like Scandinavian Seagulls and Gyuri - I wouldn't expect them to be perfect at English language.

Arong692

Oct 2, 2008
Thanks for all the comments even though not one of them was on the actual subject! I admit my english might not be great but i dont come on here to write my points and then get slated just because i dont always use the correct grammer. I have have now decided to stop using this forum as i just want to come on here write a quick message about my views and then see what people have to say. I dont need people picking out my spelling mistakes. By the way nearly forgot to add that even though all you sad people on here who blatently have nothing better to do with your lifes than slate me i most probably earn as much money as you if not then probably more!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

I don't remember being taught to use capitalisation like that.

It's also quite remarkable that you have been able to memorise the literacy standards of all seven year olds.

Thanks for all the comments even though not one of them was on the actual subject! I admit my english might not be great but i dont come on here to write my points and then get slated just because i dont always use the correct grammer. I have have now decided to stop using this forum as i just want to come on here write a quick message about my views and then see what people have to say. I dont need people picking out my spelling mistakes. By the way nearly forgot to add that even though all you sad people on here who blatently have nothing better to do with your lifes than slate me i most probably earn as much money as you if not then probably more!

Oh dear, I hope Dimster doesn't read that, he'll be spouting like Old Faithful about what a greater success than you he really is! :bounce:

:laugh:

By the way Arong, you probably are doing the right thing, because you have to have a thick skin to keep posting on here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports