[News] Shoreham cement works

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
We haven’t had any new volcanoes in a while. Perhaps build one on the site?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The suggestion about making it in to something like the Eden Project is the best idea.
Include a wild nature reserve with walking trails, family bike hire / routes, & maybe a fishing lake, and it could be an absolute gem of an attraction.

Add in some residential stuff and you might actually have a credible plan. No doubt many would complain that they would be too expensive and attract the DFLs.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That great chunk out of the South Downs would be a wonderful site for an iconic, spectacullat and completely unique football stadium, BUT - as others are quick to point out (and I entirely agree) there are a whole host of reasons why it couldn't happen - location, accessibiity, transport (or lack of it) - just a little 'B' road and no railway ................... yeh, never was going to happen.
Anyway, we've got Falmer now, so that debate is dead in the water. What to do with the site? - well, a lot of clearing needs to be done, but essentially returning it to nature seems to be the best idea. Maybe that great hole could be partially filled with landfill, covered over with top soil and then thickly planted with trees and left, apart from forestry using the trees and replacing them with new ones to gradualy cleanse the site, for the next couple of hundred years.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Overspill alien holding pens for when the ones under Shoreham tunnel are full.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
UK Disney?

A688D870-77F2-43A1-8156-44CAC411FE70.jpeg

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Reopen the railway line from Shoreham into the site. That would help regenerate parts of Shoreham too.

Zero chance of that ever happening I'm afraid as sadly they've built new flats all over the trackbed at the Shoreham end just north of Ropetackle. So all the development options (sports ground, business park, theme park etc) are complete non-starters as there is only that little single-carriageway road for access.

Fill it in and return it to downland. Probably have to bury all the asbestos as part of the 'fill' as it will cost millions to remove it. As someone else said Blue Circle should never have been allowed to just walk away from it.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
I haven't been there for years. Tallulah 's gran used to live at Dacre Gardens and we spent many a weekend chucking stuff into the gargantuan hole. Going on the last I heard, I assumed it was now a high grade ski resort!

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
County cricket ground.

I think you'll find a Mr Matt Prior is in agreement with you there.

As for the Albion, Barry Lloyd and co had a tentative deal with Pepsi Cola to sponsor the new arena, I saw the plans at the start of the 'troubles' and they certainly were impressive, the railway link would have been restored, but clearly someone somewhere blocked it, Bill Archer? Ivor Caplin? I guess we will never know.

Brok

🦡
Dec 26, 2011
Filling it with rubbish is probably the worst idea I've heard. Every time it rains, the crap will ooze its way down to the river, and then down to the sea. Forget it.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Filling it with rubbish is probably the worst idea I've heard. Every time it rains, the crap will ooze its way down to the river, and then down to the sea. Forget it.

A bin juice Adur. Not for me Clive

The Asbestos needs to be removed. you can't just bury it in the middle of national park.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

I don't think anyone's saying it should just be an old-school rubbish tip, that would indeed be a disaster.

theboybilly

Zero chance of that ever happening I'm afraid as sadly they've built new flats all over the trackbed at the Shoreham end just north of Ropetackle. So all the development options (sports ground, business park, theme park etc) are complete non-starters as there is only that little single-carriageway road for access.

Fill it in and return it to downland. Probably have to bury all the asbestos as part of the 'fill' as it will cost millions to remove it. As someone else said Blue Circle should never have been allowed to just walk away from it.

I used to drive trains over the Oxford- Leamington route and there is a similar eyesore at Bletchington. I too wondered how the cement company dodged the cost of dismantling everything. Why are things like this just allowed to happen?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports