Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shoreham Air show crash

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
SSN reports a 23-year old going to play for Worthing and a member of BHA groundstaff, also 23 among victims. Terrible news and pictures today.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
So pleased to see the usual NSC posters on this thread...still in complete shock here after watching this happen yesterday...there are some families out there for who my heart is breaking with pain...so horrific...

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Finally, confirmation that all my family are safe .... really, really, really releaved.
[MENTION=887]Boroseagull[/MENTION] - hope good news comes your way soon.

RIP to all those that lost their lives and my sincere condolences to the families and friends. Really shocking incident.

Many thanks to everyone on here for their good wishes and prayers - very much appreciated and just shows, despite our differences sometimes, we really are one great big family.

Just got back home, logged straight in hoping to see this post, great news.
Hopefully more good news for Boroseagull to come.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Post very, very rarely on here now days, but so saddened by this awful news.

The only comfort being that they wouldn't have suffered at all.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Finally, confirmation that all my family are safe .... really, really, really releaved.
[MENTION=887]Boroseagull[/MENTION] - hope good news comes your way soon.

RIP to all those that lost their lives and my sincere condolences to the families and friends. Really shocking incident.

Many thanks to everyone on here for their good wishes and prayers - very much appreciated and just shows, despite our differences sometimes, we really are one great big family.

Bit late to say it but that's great news, I can't imagine what your night must have been like.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
This event could easily be done next year with proceeds going to victims families but redone in a safe environment. Worthing could be done on a 2 day bigger scale with airshow held over the sea....maybe too early to be discussing this

Deepest condolences to all concerned, I am often 10 mins time difference on match days @ that site...the sheer timing & dreadful resulting outcome for those involved is hard to comprehend

The show raises 40,000 x £20? (Tickets, programmes, concessions) for the RAF benevolent fund and should continue to do so. Any change would only massively reduce funds for their many areas they help in via this, the UK's biggest charity airshow
Shoreham Airport is the oldest in the UK and while
this hugely tragic event is the worst for 60+ years, it IS very unlikely to be repeated and tradition should be maintained, albeit after it has been given a safety oversight review

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
The BBC website has a new video up for those strong of stomach which shows the plane trajectory. I am guessing it's by one the people standing by the pub. It doesn't show impact, but looks like the plane did the loop the loop right over the A27 which I find a bit odd. Given the circumstances, it made me feel quite sick so rightly comes with a warning.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The show raises 40,000 x £20? (Tickets, programmes, concessions) for the RAF benevolent fund and should continue to do so. Any change would only massively reduce funds for their many areas they help in via this, the UK's biggest charity airshow
Shoreham Airport is the oldest in the UK and while
this hugely tragic event is the worst for 60+ years, it IS very unlikely to be repeated and tradition should be maintained, albeit after it has been given a safety oversight review

Time to draw breath, I believe. The emergency services have yet to recover all the bodies from the scene and return them to their families. Any talk of what should or shouldn't happen in the future is premature. All that matters at the moment is giving the families their loved ones back.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The BBC website has a new video up for those strong of stomach which shows the plane trajectory. I am guessing it's by one the people standing by the pub. It doesn't show impact, but looks like the plane did the loop the loop right over the A27 which I find a bit odd. Given the circumstances, it made me feel quite sick so rightly comes with a warning.

To be fair, it would be nigh on impossible to have an airshow where planes don't fly over any roads, Eastbourne being a notable exception. If the manoeuvre had been in line with the A27 it could have been a hell of a lot worse.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
To be fair, it would be nigh on impossible to have an airshow where planes don't fly over any roads, Eastbourne being a notable exception. If the manoeuvre had been in line with the A27 it could have been a hell of a lot worse.
It was?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I believe by in line they meant parallel to. The display line was across the a27 and along the line of the runway.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
My feeling is move it to Worthing with the airport supporting....you got a prom for the public and will be able to deliver a safe airshow ovef the sea like Bournemouth, Blackpool and Southport do very successfully

But people wouldn't pay £40 to stand on a promenade and watch it. Shoreham is so much more than the air display. The ground stuff is a massive draw too, seeing the planes up close

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
Perhaps for over land displays we should just let the red arrows and military aircraft in service do the aerobatics and everyone else can fly level. Over sea they can do whatever.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
After hearing of the crash yesterday the Albion's result meant less than usual.

Can somebody please explain this club tweet to me. Is there an issue with people leaving flowers at the training ground?

BHAFC ‏@OfficialBHAFC 1h1 hour ago

If you wish to leave flowers, we respectfully request, if possible, please lay them at the Amex memorial garden.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
After hearing of the crash yesterday the Albion's result meant less than usual.

Can somebody please explain this club tweet to me. Is there an issue with people leaving flowers at the training ground?

BHAFC ‏@OfficialBHAFC 1h1 hour ago

If you wish to leave flowers, we respectfully request, if possible, please lay them at the Amex memorial garden.

I'm guessing the site is still being investigated and club is trying to make it easier for the emergency services!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Flying over roads is one thing, but surely you have to pick a safe area to pull off the most extreme part of a maneuver when you are pushing the aircraft to its limits? If the loop was completed with a 100m to spare that would still be too close surely?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
My dads opinion, as a retired RAF engineer, is that the pilot did not allow for the conditions in that loop. Hot, dry, cloudless conditions means "thinner" air and therefore meant far less air resistance (as anyone who follows cricket would know) for pulling up out of that loop. He just did not allow the altitude for the conditions and cut it too fine. If it wasn't a stall, and the fact it didn't plummet but went down on the belly (ie it had started pulling up), might bear this out.

Last edited:

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Not sure why the pilot wouldn't do the lowest point of the dive over a field or the deserted runways rather than the busy road.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here