Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shoreham Air show crash

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I know of two young men from Worthing that have not returned home today. Can't post details. But sad sad times.

Statement due from Worthing United at 10:30am. Guessing this will be in relation to the two young chaps you're referring to :(

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
Shock is a funny thing. When I was 17 I was in a very high speed car crash, sat in the back. After the car stopped rolling and everyone was found to be conscious, I ran away and denied ever being in the car. I don't think I could comprehend what had just happened to me. My best friend at the time constantly went on about how he could have been in the car but wasn't, talking about how close he came to death. Even to those that were in it. I found that quite bizarre to see him being comforted by our other friends. Shock does cause irrational behaviour.

I've always liked to think I'd not think twice and pull people out of burning cars and be a hero, but only being in that situation can you see how you react. From first hand experience I expect that it is highly likely that if I saw that fire-ball in my rear view mirror I may keep driving to distance myself mentally again. I obviously hope that wouldn't be the case, but I expect intentional disconnection is common. Yesterdays events were described "like a movie" by many, because it doesn't seem real.

Yesterday was literally on our door-step and it's natural to think "I could have easily been there" as so many have. Brighton is a small place and I'd be amazed if I had zero connection to the 7 confirmed dead. It's a tragedy, and left my household in shock as no doubt many others. We aren't waiting on news for anyone specific, and my thoughts are with those who are.

There is benefit for the police and indeed survivors to see the carnage. I would like to see the footage of my accident to confront it. It can be an important part of dealing with things to accept they even happened.

I have watched the video's, not through morbid fascination, but to help me comprehend it so if I was ever in a crash on the road I'd not drive away. I'm not sure if anyone else could understand that.

Anyway, my annoyance from the tragedy is not the people who film events and put it on-line. It could be driven by shock or a need to share their first hand experience with the world. It's the people who rip the content and put it up themselves, which has to be for financial gain through internet advertising surely? Why do people do that? It was already out there, and only realistically needs to be repeated through news channels.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wow.A couple of other members criticising my comment regards the pilot.Seriously?

So this had nothing to do with pilot error?Maybe the pilot will survive and tell us there was a fault with the plane.
Maybe not.Maybe he just didn't start his loop high enough.

If you have no proof of mechanical problems or any other theory of your own
then try showing respect for other peoples opinions.

As another poster said what's he doing looping above a dual carriageway.

Shut the **** up please.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Fairly common knowledge now. Two of their players were caught up as they headed to Lyons Way for yesterday's game.

Yes. I just wasn't absolutely certain that these are the same two chaps referred to by Giraffe.

Forgive me if I'm mixing my clubs up, but are Worthing United the side that Harty had a long connection with? As opposed to Worthing FC, I mean?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Yes. I just wasn't absolutely certain that these are the same two chaps referred to by Giraffe.

Forgive me if I'm mixing my clubs up, but are Worthing United the side that Harty had a long connection with? As opposed to Worthing FC, I mean?

No, Worthing play in the Ryman League where Hartys still involved. Worthing United are the County league club that play up behind B&Q on the A27

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
No, Worthing play in the Ryman League where Hartys still involved. Worthing United are the County league club that play up behind B&Q on the A27

Thanks. Wasn't quite sure, I just remember he used to talk about Worthing football a lot back in his Gulls Eye days :)

Regardless. Distressing news for all involved, including those at WUFC. Sad times.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Read my post's before you judge.When I replied to WS I did not know he was waiting to hear from his family.

I hope he and everyone else waiting for news get only good news.

Thankfully I will not need to read anything you post again, appalling judgement

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Knew the 2 kids who played for Worthing Utd as they played for my Sunday team AFC Shoreham also, can't believe it, so shocked

Just seen it of Facebook and their game was called off in the light of events, shocking

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Happens all the time. I see it regularly at car crashes. I often see drivers holding their phones up as they drive past, getting themselves a nice photo as the fire guys are cutting some poor injured human being out of their mangled car. I've seen onlookers filming while paramedics carry out CPR. I've no idea what they think they're going to do with the footage, as I think even our worst newspapers would baulk at showing footage of CPR on a dying person.

It's the way life has turned in this age of personal technology.

To say that's sad to hear, is an understatement :(

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Praying for you [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] x

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I do believe that Harty is also involved with Worthing United as well. So I think you are right Edna.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here