Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shootings and explosion in Paris!

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Sorry In their current form I meant

Well its always been like that. But Ithink I get what your saying. The only difference this time is mass media.They go into a village and slaughter, rape and force convert before it could be weeks before the next town knows, this time the whole world knows about 5minutes later.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
How do you defeat Islam which is a faith and what is the difference between an Islamic terrorist and a terrorist other than how they justify their actions.

My point was meant to be related to radical Islam, however as a general point there is no reason why Islam in the UK should not be subject to a reformation process that temporarily brings it under state control to minimise the likelihood of radicalisation for followers.

Licensing mosques so that they adhere to a societal curriculum to ensure that liberal values are promoted could help to flush out the extremists. Mosques should be front and centre in this regard and penal penalties for transgressors. The same should apply to any Islamic schools and madrasahs.

On a softer side the media should promote more diverse Muslims, to diffuse the image of a deeply conservative religion. There is a lack of gay and transsexual Muslims on TV, and the views of liberal Imams should trump those with more backward views.

For example Citizen Khan is a good opportunity for the BBC to apply the same narrative as they did with Alf Garnett; an old Muslim bigot regularly hoisted by his own petard in modern liberal UK, this would surely help break down the engrained stereotypes that challenge different communities.

The likes of Richard Dawkins, satirists and cartoonists can all play their part too, let's subject Islam and its adherents to the same scientific analysis and lampoonery as Christianity. Those violently protesting with this approach would not be the silent majority of liberal minded Muslims willing to share our way of life........let's flush them out and put them out of harms way.

As for your second point, Its like a question off 3-2-1........I may be wrong but don't think there is a terror group that doesn't have some underlying motive for their terror......surely we can only differentiate on that basis? What's your view?

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Are we trying to defeat Islam?

If Islam was the problem then we would be fighting 1.57 billion people.

I meant radical Islam,which is surely the enemy here.........France has just declared war on it, so clearly there is a problem.

As for 1.57 billion, what are you going on about?

There are 3m in the UK and the vast majority are peaceful and law abiding.........what business is it for the other 1.54 billion Muslims what the UK does?

In the light of recent atrocities I doubt the vast majority of British Muslims would be concerned if there was some temporary restrictions on how their religion is practised in the UK to ensure liberal values are enshrined in their day to day worship to mitigate possible radicalisation of its followers.

The state could sponsor liberal imams to ensure messages of equality are promoted to all licences mosques........what's not to like about that?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
In the light of recent atrocities I doubt the vast majority of British Muslims would be concerned if there was some temporary restrictions on how their religion is practised in the UK to ensure liberal values are enshrined in their day to day worship to mitigate possible radicalisation of its followers.
To be honest, I definitely doubt this. Wish I did feel it could happen like that, but I just don't think they'd be receptive to that.

The state could sponsor liberal imams to ensure messages of equality are promoted to all licences mosques........what's not to like about that?
Can't see this happening either. Sadly.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I meant radical Islam,which is surely the enemy here.........France has just declared war on it, so clearly there is a problem.

As for 1.57 billion, what are you going on about?

There are 3m in the UK and the vast majority are peaceful and law abiding.........what business is it for the other 1.54 billion Muslims what the UK does?

That would be something to discuss with the lslamic community. Can't see it going down very well though to be honest.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Read my post again, i have not mentioned what people on this board think. I clearly said that this is what i think ISIS want to achieve. Stop trying to create an argument where there is none.

You talk utter balderdash Sir, you retract, deflect and attempt to derail in pursuit of your own agenda, all from the other side of the Earth. You only detract from sensible discussion and when challenged try to hide behind a rapidly erected smokescreen. Your opinion lies alongside the worth of Crystal Palace, goodbye.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
You talk utter balderdash Sir, you retract, deflect and attempt to derail in pursuit of your own agenda, all from the other side of the Earth. You only detract from sensible discussion and when challenged try to hide behind a rapidly erected smokescreen. Your opinion lies alongside the worth of Crystal Palace, goodbye.

I have not retracted or hid behind anything. You misread my post.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
simply not true....!! there is no apostate situation in christianity , or any other religion other than islam.

thats an amusing suggestion: why would we have a western word for it, if it didnt exist? of course christianity has had apostasy and punished it, we just dont take religion very seriously any more.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I don't know about any other religion (not even vaguely familiar with them all) but that does seem a fair point.

There is apostacy in christianity, can lead to excommunication etc. Its no way as absolute as Islam, which stems from the 3 ideas That the koran is the perfect book, Mohammed the perfect man and Islam is the final religion. All 3 likely to cause scism, violence and intolerance.

imo mohammed is as close as you can get to a devil given his lust for women, booty and murder among other things. Something obvious to most non-beleivers.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
simply not true....!! there is no apostate situation in christianity , or any other religion other than islam.

I was responding to this post that talks about passing religion from parent to child, not make a broad comparison of religions.

Do you really believe that most children in Islamic countries just 'pick up and run with' their parents religion !? The children are brought up in households then sent to schools where they are repeatedly told their is only one truth and any variance from this view will lead to eternal damnation and punishment.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
thats an amusing suggestion: why would we have a western word for it, if it didnt exist? of course christianity has had apostasy and punished it, we just dont take religion very seriously any more.

yes i dare say that in the 1300's people who suggested that there was no god were tied to the ducking stool and given a sound dunking....however , in my opinion , to be forcing your god/religion onto your peers , family , off-spring , in this day and age is simply ridiculous.........it is simply a medieval concept ......in my opinion. i had religion rammed down my throat when i was a kid but once i reached 12 or so i was able to negotiate a way out.......if i was a present day 12 year old trying to negotiate a way out of a current , religious encumbrance then my prognosis could be completely different.
excommunication does not = execution.......in a hard line sense.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No idea. Is apostasy a 'western' word (it's actually Greek, not sure if that counts)? Isn't Islam a western word, translated from whatever language Islam was first recorded in? Come to that, what religious terms are western words - lord knows (pardon the pun) how many languages the Old Testament went through before it wound up as the King James Bible!

In your post, 'has had' is the most important part. Yes, it did happen, a long time ago. We (we being the western world, or Christians, or whatever you like - perhaps just best categorised as 'non-moslems') used to have apostasy as part of the deal. We've stopped murdering people for it though.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No idea. Is apostasy a 'western' word (it's actually Greek, not sure if that counts)?

if that counts? most the principles of our modern world is based on Greek foundations, so yes it counts as western. the bible was original written in Greek (from Hebrew for OE), then Latin to English. Islam is anglisation of an Arabic word.

punishment for apostasy might have changed, but it is still punished within those communities that care about their religion, whatever it is. its one way how you keep people in, excommunication might not be execution, but it may be as significant in many cultures if you have no contact with friends and family. though i concede its a bigger deal in islam than others.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here