Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shootings and explosion in Paris!

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
It's interesting that one thing in that article was a statement that IS were unlikely to mount a huge attack in the West and that even Charlie Hebdo wasn't them but Al Qeada. Obviously Friday proved that wrong. Yet the article was written in March. Much has happened since then including a mass migration and our bombing raids intensifying. The justification so called IS gave for their actions was because of the French bombing.

It would seem to me that the article's suggestion that targetted bombing (rather than vapourising the whole region) is the best of a bad set of options is spot on. The declaration of the Caliphate was the first part of a series of long term aims. If that gets destroyed - effectively if they cannot govern what they have or take more land - then they will be waiting a very long time indeed to enslave us. I'd think an eternity.

Framing the attacks in the context of the last few months it would seem the bombings have been quite successful and that the migration out of Syria has effectively left so called IS with very few people to actually govern. I think they would want an end to migration, hence the false Syrian passport that was deliberately left at one of the attack sites.

I'm still firmly of the belief that it is the people who are GOING TO Syria who we should be worried about, not the ones coming from it.

What I got from the article was how ISIS are a very different organisation to what many people consider (especially in reference to how they are set up). They need confrontation, because without it their ideology starts to fail and given that this is the main driver of ISIS it needs to be undermined.

A US or Western troop on the ground is the best recruiting tool they can get, however, starve them of a crusader army and suddenly things start to look more difficult. Not so easy to justify the existence without it and war-fatigue will set in. Recent reports have indicated that they have had a number of deserters, there have also been locations which initially welcomed their liberation and quickly fell foul of it.

I saw one report where men were interviewed in a border town in Jordan. The men wanted ISIS to take over, one proclaimed this with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth (I'm presuming he'll be giving that up then - ISIS has a nasty way of kicking the habit for those found smoking). Their main grievances were a lack of jobs and various other annoyances. In short they saw ISIS as a way of escaping day-to-day issues. ISIS would therefore wipe the slate clean for them. Horrifically short term thinking.

Muslims killing Muslims isn't a good rallying call for ISIS, the thinking behind any strategy needs to be denying them western targets on the ground. Empires and Caliphates are easier to beat from the inside (apply stress and watch them implode).

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Read it. Not sure why you're making such a deal about the article?

France has emerged as the most prominent backer of Syria’s armed opposition and is now directly funding rebel groups around Aleppo as part of a new push to oust the embattled Assad regime.

Large sums of cash have been delivered by French government proxies across the Turkish border to rebel commanders in the past month, diplomatic sources have confirmed. The money has been used to buy weapons inside Syria and to fund armed operations against loyalist forces

Bottom line, France was funding terrorism. But let's all forget that bit yeah?

http://21stcenturywire.com/2015/11/...a-radical-isis-terrorists-to-overthrow-assad/

I have never understood the West's motivation to topple Assad. It is reported that Syria has lost 90,000 Syrian military and police fighting this war against Sunni Syrian rebel groups, Al-Nusra and ISIS. If Assad was toppled all his Alawite people, Christians and Shia Mulsims would be slaughtered. The best thing that has happened is Russia getting involved but it should never have come to that.

We need what is left of the Syrian army's boots on the ground more than ever, along with Hezbollah, the Kurds, Iraqi army and the Iranians to encircle ISIS and cut off their supply routes and isolate them. It looks like Turkey, who have always been reluctant to go to war with ISIS, will have to work with all the above, who they don't even like, to complete the circle to cut ISIS off.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Finally read some of it and shall finish it, but something quite obvious to me is it is inextricably linked to Islam perhaps not even a *******ised version more a literal one, and each Muslim I guess therefore has a stake in the outcome.

To some that will be a revelation, they have been telling us ISIS doesn't represent Muslim/Islam in anyway, but it clearly does.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
What I got from the article was how ISIS are a very different organisation to what many people consider (especially in reference to how they are set up). They need confrontation, because without it their ideology starts to fail and given that this is the main driver of ISIS it needs to be undermined.

A US or Western troop on the ground is the best recruiting tool they can get, however, starve them of a crusader army and suddenly things start to look more difficult. Not so easy to justify the existence without it and war-fatigue will set in. Recent reports have indicated that they have had a number of deserters, there have also been locations which initially welcomed their liberation and quickly fell foul of it.

I saw one report where men were interviewed in a border town in Jordan. The men wanted ISIS to take over, one proclaimed this with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth (I'm presuming he'll be giving that up then - ISIS has a nasty way of kicking the habit for those found smoking). Their main grievances were a lack of jobs and various other annoyances. In short they saw ISIS as a way of escaping day-to-day issues. ISIS would therefore wipe the slate clean for them. Horrifically short term thinking.

Muslims killing Muslims isn't a good rallying call for ISIS, the thinking behind any strategy needs to be denying them western targets on the ground. Empires and Caliphates are easier to beat from the inside (apply stress and watch them implode).
So is Russia, in assisting Assad, actually getting this spot on. Also should we be giving to Kurds every (external) assistance possible in their conflict with Isis even at the expense of seriously pissing off the Turks.

Looks to me like there are some big compromises to be made.

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Read it. Not sure why you're making such a deal about the article?

France has emerged as the most prominent backer of Syria’s armed opposition and is now directly funding rebel groups around Aleppo as part of a new push to oust the embattled Assad regime.

Large sums of cash have been delivered by French government proxies across the Turkish border to rebel commanders in the past month, diplomatic sources have confirmed. The money has been used to buy weapons inside Syria and to fund armed operations against loyalist forces

Bottom line, France was funding terrorism. But let's all forget that bit yeah?

http://21stcenturywire.com/2015/11/...a-radical-isis-terrorists-to-overthrow-assad/
And yet you quote 21stCenturyWire as a factual source :lolol:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
To some that will be a revelation, they have been telling us ISIS doesn't represent Muslim/Islam in anyway, but it clearly does.

Yes but a very specific branch of thinking. Shiias and even Wahaabis wouldn't agree and then there are the peaceful hardliners also mentioned in the article. Not to mention Suffis.

What it is clear about - and what a particularly infamous thread on here was all about - is that Islam, or rather IS's desire to go back to a pre-medieval interpretation of it - is NOT the religion of peace. There are a hell of a lot of Apostates running away from that idea though.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I think we need to start displaying a bit more of our stiff upper lip, stop gushing with emotion, stop changing our FB pictures to the French flag, posting all over social media how the Muslim's are taking over, stop trying to outdo each other as to who is the most outraged, who is the most sensitive, who has noticed other atrocities go on in the world, who thinks they have the answer to it all or who knows more about it (none of us) and stop acting like a bunch of knee jerk drama queens. Pay dignified respect to those who lost their lives (one minute silence was perfect), straighten our backs, stick our chins out and bloody well get on with our lives.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
they have been telling us ISIS doesn't represent Muslim/Islam in anyway, but it clearly does.
Can you explain why ISIS represents Islam?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think we need to start displaying a bit more of our stiff upper lip, stop gushing with emotion, stop changing our FB pictures to the French flag
Don't use FB much, just been on and seen loads of this. I'm not criticising those who have done it, but I guess I'm with you, it's not needed.
posting all over social media how the Muslim's are taking over, stop trying to outdo each other as to who is the most outraged, who is the most sensitive, who has noticed other atrocities go on in the world
That's social media for you. People use simple things (no offence) like Lady Di dying to unite in grief.

Pay dignified respect to those who lost their lives (one minute silence was perfect), straighten our backs, stick our chins out and bloody well get on with our lives.
Indeed.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Explain?

Most of the stuff in the link is widely known and has been reported by mainstream media.

was it the address of the link which threw you?

Why regurgitate three year old tabloid quotes as if to pass of as your own thoughts.
Do your own thinking and post your own words.

I've seen you do this a few times now, can you think/write for yourself?

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
No original words to respond to the criticism. Not surprised.
I look forward to your next outdated Guardian/Times/Mail/Wiki quote passed off as your own.

You don't have a lot to look forward to, do you?

I put a link up with the post. How on earth did you think they were my words?

No one else assumed it was me typing?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here