Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sherry's, Pink Coconut, Paradox etc......

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Great times in Coasters.

Rory and Biba wasn't it? Not sure what was going on there. My mate had a bit of a thing with Rory. This song is SO evocative. Has to be this mix.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
DJ Rory was at Coasters throughout its short life from 1981 to 1986.

B1182906-9622-4EC4-9FCE-DC7A7AF48D79.png

03F6FB35-6357-4E00-AC5A-BD607303B289.png

Had he DJ’d at Sherrys before that?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Great times in Coasters.

Rory and Biba wasn't it? Not sure what was going on there. My mate had a bit of a thing with Rory. This song is SO evocative. Has to be this mix.

THE greatest dance track :smile:. I’ve got an extensive collection of Rory inspired imported albums and 12” singles bought from Rounders.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Another 90's Brighton nightclub haunt for me was The Gloucester, now The North Laine pub. The toilets are in the same position as there were in The Gloucester days. Anyone know of the top of their head when The Gloucester closed?

A quick google search, a few argus articles and a wikipedia entry suggest The Gloucester became the Barfly in 2007 which then closed in 2008. I think it then stayed empty until it became the North Laines Brewery in 2012.

Unless I'd read the articles I would have thought that happend a bit more recently. I guess that's just time play tricks on the mind.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
THE greatest dance track :smile:. I’ve got an extensive collection of Rory inspired imported albums and 12” singles bought from Rounders.
I have the 3 12", the import of Passion (above), an import of 'Shoot your Shot' and Roni Griffith. Did have I Like Plastic but I lost it.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
As of today :cry:

View attachment 137474

I went there many a time during its three lives.

Sherry’s - a couple of times as 16 and 17 year olds. Really just as a place to carry on downing pints after pub closing times. Naive kids, better nights to come.

Pink Coconut - had membership cards, some great nights, alternating nights with the Suite, Coasters, Busbys and all the other smaller niche clubs. Also the gay Bolts nights on a Sunday with girlfriends ... incredible music.

Paradox - random visits, it seemed too packed.

Au revoir old fella. Good times were had by all.

I remember the pink coconut when I first arrived in Brighton . Was friendly with two brothers ( twins ) who used to go a lot and dance . one now lives in LA and works as a cameraman for films , the other has a ticket agency and supplies the audience for various tv shows .

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Paradox was good.
Had the feel of a traditional nightclub was also a good music venue.
A night that sticks in my mind is dreadzone at the paradox(supported by Asian dub foundation I think).
It was a fantastic evening and dreadzone were brilliant.
There was someone else I saw there which was also a fantastic night,but I can't remember who the hell it was.

Edit-forget what I just said,I'm thinking about the wrong club,paradox was on the other side of the road, fantastic place.
I went there loads in the 90s shame it's closing.
Fat boy slim did a birthday night in the paradox during the big beat era which was fantastic.
I seem to remember DJ hype there too but that may have been a separate drum and bass night.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I have the 3 12", the import of Passion (above), an import of 'Shoot your Shot' and Roni Griffith. Did have I Like Plastic but I lost it.

All that, and ....

Divine - Love Reaction
Tapps - My Forbidden Lover
Trans X - Living on Video
Bobby O - She Has A Way
The Flirts - Helpless
Fancy - Slice Me Nice
Divine - Native Love Step By Step
Lime - Angel Eyes
Lime - Babe We’re Gonna Love Tonight
Slip - Don’t Leave Me This Week
Risque - Burn It up

Closer to home, A.E.I.O.U. and Blue Monday were also floor fillers.

Were they good times overall for you? I find it interesting that a load of future NSC’ers frequented the same pubs and clubs.

rebel51

Jan 4, 2021
West sussex
When I lived in brighton it was sister rays, it was down the basement of swifts an indie minefield. In worthing it was flappers, what a place. And lived in the brighton rock pub before clubbing

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
All that, and ....

Were they good times overall for you? I find it interesting that a load of future NSC’ers frequented the same pubs and clubs.

Yep, pretty good overall. O & A level times so spent all of my hard earned weekend job cash in the likes of Henekeys, Shades, Swifts, Black Lion, then on to the usual boogie joints. I would have phases, out a lot partying then fall in love for a few months and spend time doing what young folks do. All the fun of the fair. No social distancing then.....

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Sherry's was the first nightclub I ever went in, early 70s. Seriously underage, my two mates (who were 17 !) managed to talk the door staff into letting me in. I believe the line 'he's Jimmy Clitheroe's younger brother may have been used.

I remember the pile of rifled handbags in the corner of the Gents, a fight breaking out with someone going over the edge of the balcony, and me thinking 'so this is a nightclub - BRILLIANT :lolol:'

Hungry Years anyone?

I'd managed to 'progress' to the Hungry Years and get permanently banned by Peppa all by the time I had turned 17. Long before the days of ID :thumbsup:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yep, pretty good overall. O & A level times so spent all of my hard earned weekend job cash in the likes of Henekeys, Shades, Swifts, Black Lion, then on to the usual boogie joints. I would have phases, out a lot partying then fall in love for a few months and spend time doing what young folks do. All the fun of the fair. No social distancing then.....

Coming from east of Brighton, it was natural to always start in Shades.

Then variously; The Druids, Pump House, Fagan’s, Frock & Jacket, The Star/Helsinki’s, Swifts.

Bobby Orlando was the creative force behind these songs we’re posting, including:

Genuinely, playing still evokes the exciting feeling we had as teens stepping into Coasters.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
Late 70's in Sherrys - Xmas eve and New Years Eve - non stop - snog the next bird all night long

Eeeee, them were the days ....

We had the choice of the Top Rank Suite, the Revolution, Midnight Blues, Sherries. Used to start in the Windsor Tavern and do about 13 pubs on the way to the clubs. The headache the next day was phenomenal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here