Shaun Williams?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Sorry my original post may have been misleading. I meant that I agreed with you in terms of what you said about the contracts offered.

The contracts are a shambles. I'm not here to pick a fight but find it really frustrating and just airing my views.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
WA doesn't rate him - too slow to play centre back. I feel a bit better now.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Looks like he's going to Millwall

SkyBet Championship ‏@Transfer_News24 4m
Millwall are close to signing MK Dons midfielder Shaun Williams. #millwallfc #mkdons

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Looks like he's going to Millwall

SkyBet Championship ‏@Transfer_News24 4m
Millwall are close to signing MK Dons midfielder Shaun Williams. #millwallfc #mkdons

He is, it's in the online Argus now.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
2nd disappointment in trying to get players in. Grabban looked good today too.

I just don't get it. We were up against B'muff. Lost out. Then Millwall, looks like we've lost out again.

We are 2 points off the playoffs with a game in hand. Best ground, biggest attendances in Championship. One of Europe's top training complexes opens in June. OK, there are other good reasons why players may choose to go elsewhere, but something appears to be wrong with our club's player acquisition strategy or implementation of same.

Bournemouth 16th, going nowhere. Millwall 21st and one point above relegation zone. No, something is very wrong.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I just don't get it. We were up against B'muff. Lost out. Then Millwall, looks like we've lost out again.

We are 2 points off the playoffs with a game in hand. Best ground, biggest attendances in Championship. One of Europe's top training complexes opens in June. OK, there are other good reasons why players may choose to go elsewhere, but something appears to be wrong with our club's player acquisition strategy or implementation of same.

Bournemouth 16th, going nowhere. Millwall 21st and one point above relegation zone. No, something is very wrong.

1 simple answer we cannot guarantee signings will be first choice and play every game clubs like Millwall and AFC Bournemouth can virtually.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

REALLY YOU THINK SO
IMO he was running around like a headless chicken, you can count the shots he had on one hand all off target I'll give you a few good crosses
1.1 m no thanks I think we had a close shave ........muff can keep him
maybe we should have kept Barnes I watched the game against Arsenal on player .........not a great comparison I know but he was head and shoulders over Grabban
MAYBE WE DON'T NEED TO SIGN ANYONE
just a thought

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
1 simple answer we cannot guarantee signings will be first choice and play every game clubs like Millwall and AFC Bournemouth can virtually.

Spot on! He was coming as back up to replace El-Abd. In my opinion we need to be looking for a first choice pacey centre half.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Our contracts are a disgrace. Lua Lua, Pig, Upson are out of contract in the summer and you think they'll stay if other clubs come sniffing. We offer players contracts that when they get into their last season they don't sign an extension. If Pig, Upson, Lua Lua don't sign and leave for nothing how much will it cost us to replace them?

We're starting to drift and it'll get worse and the season tickets will drop at this rate if we can't even sign division one players.

We can't offer Pig a contract atm, as we don't know what div we will be in. Because if we are still in the championship, he will be not be offered a new deal( well not one that he will sign anyway)...Surely people still don't think he came here from Man Utd for 10k a week do they???As for everyone else it doesn't make any sense to offer anything, until you know what division you will be playing in.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
.....Sorry ,but IMO neither of these "Near Misses "would have made a real difference to the squad.

If neither of these near misses are not good enough for now or the Prem, should we make it. (which I very much doubt ) Why has our Mr Burke made them our top targets?

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
We can't offer Pig a contract atm, as we don't know what div we will be in. Because if we are still in the championship, he will be not be offered a new deal( well not one that he will sign anyway)...Surely people still don't think he came here from Man Utd for 10k a week do they???As for everyone else it doesn't make any sense to offer anything, until you know what division you will be playing in.

So we'll offer Casper a 3 year contract in the summer and big pete will be the number 1. Great, can't wait till next season :(

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

I'd go along with that. Also, even though we're a marginally better club than the others quoted in terms of ground and attendances we're not streets ahead of them. We are not some kind of Man Utd of the South and if we're offering similar wages BHAFC isn't the obvious choice some on here think it is.

If neither of these near misses are not good enough for now or the Prem, should we make it. (which I very much doubt ) Why has our Mr Burke made them our top targets?

There's not as much available in Jan so transfer fees are higher and players want higher wages to move mid season. I don't think we're desperate enough to pay over the odds for players and the ones we can afford we can't guanentee them 1st team football. This is why clubs don't like doing business in January. Anything we waste now in terms of wages or transfer fees will affect what we can do in the summer, when the market is much more open.

The only mistake we've made is letting Barnes and El Abd go IMHO.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Shame. More players will become available the nearer to the window's end we get, but that tends to be the time of panic-buys and taking ones pickings from a lengthy list of the unwanted. Less attractive and more of a gamble than those we'd worked an age on to snag.
You have to wonder as to who our main persuader is in negotiations and how they keep losing out to others with perhaps a greater gift of the gab. Williams may know Harford, but that doesn't mean we're unable to make ourselves a truly attractive enough proposition to get in the way of a professional's friendship.
Hope someone else we want suddenly has an agreeable price and we convince them to jump on the GarciairBus and enjoy the ride soon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports