Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shaun Williams?

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Most of that will have been taken up in this years wages won't it, quite a few of the players we signed last year were freebies and assumably signed for BIG wages, which would have taken care of most of the budget. We have signed Ward and Andrews on loan and are assumably paying more for them than we paid for Bridge ( who was mostly subsidised by City I think) and Dicker.

I'll reserve judgement on our ambition until the end of the transfer window though.

What happened to the wages we paid Vicente, Dobbie and Hammond then? Surely Ward and Andrews wages were not higher than those 5 we released, plus now Barnes and El Abd.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What happened to the wages we paid Vicente, Dobbie and Hammond then? Surely Ward and Andrews wages were not higher than those 5 we released, plus now Barnes and El Abd.

Transfer window is not closed yet, can we have this discussion next week?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
100% Agree, so why are we chasing players who are no better than what we have and why are we not using our budget to hold onto the players like Barnes and Pig if we can't find better.
TK (dont like PIG) has made it known he wants Prem football next season preerably with us but if not .without ans allegedly our highest paid player what more could we do. B arnes had an offer on the table for over 6 months and chose not to sign it, possibly on advice from his sgent, so again what more could we do, so took the cash on offer.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Looks like he's going to Millwall

SkyBet Championship ‏@Transfer_News24 4m
Millwall are close to signing MK Dons midfielder Shaun Williams. #millwallfc #mkdons

So he would chose a club full. Of racist bigotted maniacs over our right on on with spanking shiny new stadium ...hopefully this is not a sign of things to cone. That is two decent players we have chased who have told us to feck off!

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
So he would chose a club full. Of racist bigotted maniacs over our right on on with spanking shiny new stadium ...hopefully this is not a sign of things to cone. That is two decent players we have chased who have told us to feck off!

yeah but they have probably offered a longer contract and better wages which to any footballer is what they want

Dec 31, 2012
In the Gym
Hahaha. We can't even keep up with Millwall when it comes to getting players In. This is getting ridiculous. Keep this up and we will look tinpot. Not that we probably already do to some teams fans. Where's the money going?. Surely we can't be making that much of a loss If we can even get in L1 players. Geez. Wages can't be that high now either. Ohh and before some of you ask. I've been at the sauce. But tonight. I'm not going to make any drastic thread. Dun worry. I've learn't from the first time round.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
And yet we are 7th in the league. Cheer up!

Indeed. 7th in the league and last 16 of the Cup.

Perhaps we are trying to bring in 4 players and the cash is being stretched, hence we couldn't offer more than Millwall ( for this particular player ). Maybe that is it for Millwall now - budget blown.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Hahaha. We can't even keep up with Millwall when it comes to getting players In. This is getting ridiculous. Keep this up and we will look tinpot. Not that we probably already do to some teams fans. Where's the money going?. Surely we can't be making that much of a loss If we can even get in L1 players. Geez. Wages can't be that high now either. Ohh and before some of you ask. I've been at the sauce. But tonight. I'm not going to make any drastic thread. Dun worry. I've learn't from the first time round.

The choice of bench warmer vs regular 1st team may well play a big factor. I wouldnt worry to much what others think tbh.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
The reason he would've been good for us is his versatility, by being able to cover in defence or midfield. He would effectively cover Crofts, Bridcutt and El-Abd in one go. But as we saw with Vincelot (who was very accomplished every time he played for us IMO), his versatility probably cost him as he was more useful as backup/cover than as a nailed on started in X position. If Miiiiiiiilllll are offering him 1st team football, perhaps he chose that over stagnating for us (even if it was on more money) by making a dozen substitute appearances with a handful of starts when we were resting our more established 1st teamers. I don't see this as a "failure" any more than Grabban, who it seems to me was never really that interested in going as he's settled down the coast, and would only have come if Bournemouth hadn't been prepared to match the pay rise we were offering. Meanwhile this guy wants a guaranteed shot at playing regularly - if we were also offering that, I'd have been surprised if he went to Wall over us, as we've simply got more going for us as a club with the facilities, crowds and league position. Perhaps he looked at it and decided if he couldn't be 1st team for us now, competing for the play-offs, what chance would he have if we did go up? He'd be on the transfer list pretty quickly you'd imagine. Oh well, move on to the next I say.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
The reason he would've been good for us is his versatility, by being able to cover in defence or midfield. He would effectively cover Crofts, Bridcutt and El-Abd in one go. But as we saw with Vincelot (who was very accomplished every time he played for us IMO), his versatility probably cost him as he was more useful as backup/cover than as a nailed on started in X position. If Miiiiiiiilllll are offering him 1st team football, perhaps he chose that over stagnating for us (even if it was on more money) by making a dozen substitute appearances with a handful of starts when we were resting our more established 1st teamers. I don't see this as a "failure" any more than Grabban, who it seems to me was never really that interested in going as he's settled down the coast, and would only have come if Bournemouth hadn't been prepared to match the pay rise we were offering. Meanwhile this guy wants a guaranteed shot at playing regularly - if we were also offering that, I'd have been surprised if he went to Wall over us, as we've simply got more going for us as a club with the facilities, crowds and league position. Perhaps he looked at it and decided if he couldn't be 1st team for us now, competing for the play-offs, what chance would he have if we did go up? He'd be on the transfer list pretty quickly you'd imagine. Oh well, move on to the next I say.

This is exactly how I believe it is.

We also don't know what is happening in the background, there could be a deal being thrashed out with Bridders and this has a bearing on signings... We just won't know!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Pretty sure when Chicksen came here they didn't rate him that much. To me that is a good sign of our scouting system picking up players based on their attributes and potential. He's clearly a much better player now after 9 months in the DS.

I too have been pleased with the way he has progressed, but I thought he was quite highly thought of at MK Dons :shrug:

dons50

Jan 24, 2014
I too have been pleased with the way he has progressed, but I thought he was quite highly thought of at MK Dons :shrug:

TBH he divided opinion. For 70% of the fans he was a big favourite. Good speed and very attacking. He was a local lad too which made him popular. He played out of position very willingly. For example, he's very left footed but played right back many times. Some saw him as a bit lightweight. I think he has good potential. Whether sitting on your bench or in your reserves rather than playing first team football is good for him, I'm not sure.

lovelyboy

Nov 17, 2005
Make no mistake if he chooses Millwall over us this is a total embarrassment to everyone involved with the football club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here