Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shaun Williams?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
That statistic is a bit meaningless though. Buckley is hopefully going to be available soon and Bridcutt will either go or be available after this week. We also have CMS and possibly even Hoskins to come back. And they may have been in the squad but we didn't use Bruno, Greer, Ward and Ulloa so we do have a reasonable squad.

I actually agree we need a couple of players. However, I just think that there's a bit of an over reaction to not signing Williams.

I very much doubt CMS or Hoskins will contribute a great deal this season. They've been out for a year and only just started training. They have to get their fitness levels up before they can even be in the squad. They will then have to get match fit. They will then have to find form. Look at how long it's taken Orlandi to get back into the team, look at how poor Ulloa has been since returning from his injury, they were only out for a few months.

Buckley and Lualua are in and out of the squad too frequently to rely on. Bridcutt and Buckley are still targets for other teams, so could well continue to not be available for us.

Our squad is thin, today may be a bit more thin than usual, but only by a player or two, and the point shouldn't be dismissed so easily. We didn't use all the subs, but we never will. The thing is, though, our bench was Ankergren, Greer, Ward, Bruno and Andrews - 5 defensive players out of seven. That is not a sign of depth.

Having said that, I do agree that the there is an over reaction, but then this is NSC, what do you expect? I only posted my comments here because it seemed like the most relevant thread, rather than because it was a response to Williams going elsewhere.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Fair enough. I think he would have done a job but we move on. I do think we should wait and see what we have when the window shuts rather than judging now. Surely we can enjoy the win today before being too fed up. Hope for a good draw tomorrow and we may even get some really good signings this week.

It was a good result. Arsenal away for me would be great. I've never been to the Emirates. :amex:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I very much doubt CMS or Hoskins will contribute a great deal this season. They've been out for a year and only just started training. They have to get their fitness levels up before they can even be in the squad. They will then have to get match fit. They will then have to find form. Look at how long it's taken Orlandi to get back into the team, look at how poor Ulloa has been since returning from his injury, they were only out for a few months.

Buckley and Lualua are in and out of the squad too frequently to rely on. Bridcutt and Buckley are still targets for other teams, so could well continue to not be available for us.

Our squad is thin, today may be a bit more thin than usual, but only by a player or two, and the point shouldn't be dismissed so easily. We didn't use all the subs, but we never will. The thing is, though, our bench was Ankergren, Greer, Ward, Bruno and Andrews - 5 defensive players out of seven. That is not a sign of depth.

Having said that, I do agree that the there is an over reaction, but then this is NSC, what do you expect? I only posted my comments here because it seemed like the most relevant thread, rather than because it was a response to Williams going elsewhere.

I wasn't suggesting that you had reacted to the failure to sign Williams, more others on this thread. I'm also not dismissing the idea as I do agree to a degree. I was just pointing out that we're not doing as badly as you'd think from some reactions on here.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
It was a good result. Arsenal away for me would be great. I've never been to the Emirates. :amex:

That's more like it! Tomorrow's the draw and we can worry about signings next week. At least we'll know our squad for the rest of the season, whether it's good or bad news (I realise there may be loan signings).

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
3 of those are pure speculation, I'll give you the coaching staff and holloway, but not sure millwall are as sucessful.

All of them are speculation! I don't know why he joined millwall any more than every other person on NSC, but there are perfectly good reasons for a footballer to do so, I don't think we're an automatic choice just because we have a nice ground and big crowds.

Clearly the club aren't going all out to get these players, its a bit like being at an auction in the Jan window. If you're desparate you can keep waving your paddle until you get what you want. If you're not desperate you just set an upper limit, if you win happy days. If someone outbids you it's not the end of the world.

It appears the club are trying to find good value and I'm happy with that.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
All of them are speculation! I don't know why he joined millwall any more than every other person on NSC, but there are perfectly good reasons for a footballer to do so, I don't think we're an automatic choice just because we have a nice ground and big crowds.

Clearly the club aren't going all out to get these players, its a bit like being at an auction in the Jan window. If you're desparate you can keep waving your paddle until you get what you want. If you're not desperate you just set an upper limit, if you win happy days. If someone outbids you it's not the end of the world.

It appears the club are trying to find good value and I'm happy with that.

wasn't there something about mick harford being at Millwall who he worked under at MK Dons( if memory serves correctly)...his influence may have helped the guy signing for them

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
wasn't there something about mick harford being at Millwall who he worked under at MK Dons( if memory serves correctly)...his influence may have helped the guy signing for them

I cant be bothered to read through all the whole thread but there can be only two reasons he wouldn't sign for us:-

1) He may not get much first team football.
2) Millwall offering him more dosh.

If its number 2 that's a worry.

D

Deleted member 22389

I cant be bothered to read through all the whole thread but there can be only two reasons he wouldn't sign for us:-

Number 2 means we are not prepared to pay over the odds for a League one player.
That is how I see it, and I think the club is doing right and as someone said on another thread mick harford being at Millwall who he worked under at MK Dons.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Number 2 means we are not prepared to pay over the odds for a League one player.
That is how I see it, and I think the club is doing right and as someone said on another thread mick harford being at Millwall who he worked under at MK Dons.

I agree. For both Grabban and Williams, coming to us meant a battle for first team football whereas at the club they stayed with/are going to they will be key players. If they got more money offered there, then that is down to how vital they are considered to be to the team.

Grabban is the key front man at Bournemouth. With us, he wasn't going to get ahead of Ulloa in that role so he would have been competing for one of the roles either side of Ulloa. Williams is similar. He would have had to work his way above Greer to play centre back whereas Millwall will almost certainly start him. I don't think it's that much of a worry.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I very much doubt CMS or Hoskins will contribute a great deal this season. They've been out for a year and only just started training. They have to get their fitness levels up before they can even be in the squad. They will then have to get match fit.

With 20 league games left if we could get them match fit and back for the last 6 or 7 games it could be a timely boost if we're still in with a shout of the play offs.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Who for, us or them?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Or he might have preferred working with Holloway to Oscar.

I can't stand Holloway myself but maybe, like Gus used to, Holloway sold himself and the club to the player. By the sounds of things, Oscar didn't even speak to him.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Or he might have preferred working with Holloway to Oscar.

I can't stand Holloway myself but maybe, like Gus used to, Holloway sold himself and the club to the player. By the sounds of things, Oscar didn't even speak to him.

I suspect that this may be part of the issue. There's no doubt that GP sold the club to prospective players and it's easy to imagine Worzul giving players a load of old billy bollocks about the 'wall and how wonderful everything's going to be under his "leadership". That said it doesn't say much for either players confidence in their own ability if they're not prepared to compete for a first team place.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I posted this elsewhere but the club tweeted that CMS is playing in the dev squad on Monday at Brentford. It's a start.

I am slightly concerned that two of our targets have chosen other clubs than ourselves. Oh well, onto plan B!

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011

So you think we shouldn't have a cap on wages for average players?

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
So you think we shouldn't have a cap on wages for average players?

My observation would be if these players are average and not better, or as good as what we already have and because of this we can't almost ensure them of a first team place, why are we trying to sign them. Are we on some kind of squad weakening programme at present then?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Yes, there's been nothing from either Millwall or The Albion about this

Last heard that it wasn't expected to be announced until Monday. I cant remember if that was in this thread or in the argus/andy naylor's twitter feed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here