Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Shane Warne - RIP

Durlston

NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
The best spin bowler in the world that cricket has ever seen IMO. He could score a few runs as well with the bat at the tail.

I remember him sharing some banter at Headingley when he was called a fat bar steward. He rubbed his stomach and then took wickets. The Yorkshire crowd would often give him a standing ovation for his brilliance. :clap2:

RIP Shaney. :down:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Always one of the names in consideration for the cricket GOAT. Huge personality to boot. A tragedy for the cricket world and Australia. RIP

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Pantomime Villain when playing vs. Sussex for Hants and obviously England vs. the Aussies but the best Leg Spinner of all time?

Fair to say towards the end of the 2005 Ashes it was England vs. Shane Warne...

All of that but to me he’s also the greatest cricketer ever.

Obviously an incredible spinner but he could bat a bit, good catcher and brilliant tactical thinker of the game. Add in the the massive personality and individual flaws that usually accompany genius, I can’t think of a cricketer who’s had a bigger impact on the game.

When he and McGrath were playing, I never felt we would win.

As a cricket lover and someone that watched and played the game a huge amount but particularly in the 90’s and 00’s this has really shocked me.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I am another who is shocked at this news. Maybe I am a bit of a bad un, but I have to admit I loved watching him, even against England. Such a superb and intelligent player. I loved his commentary as well. RIP Shane.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Apart from a few Sri Lankans I can't think of any cricket fan who wouldn't put him in an all time XI.

Genius, legend, all of that.

Scrolling through the pages of news links on google it's clear how much impact he had. Even Hello magazine are covering it. Although their headline is 'Elizabeth Hurley's ex-fiance Shane Warne dies aged 52.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
RIP genius Shane Warne.

I was busy correcting Mrs Corner as she was telling me about this famous cricketer who’d just died called Shane Warne. I told her no it was Rod Marsh and then I saw the TV!

Wow! No age at all and one of the very, very best ever. A real character

She's more knowledgeable than my wife who said: "That cricketer you like has died, Sean Wayne". Took me a while to put two and two together, and then of course I didn't believe her. :( Like you I thought she'd somehow got confused.

RIP Warney.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Incredibly sad and shocking news. An absolute genius, a superstar with an utterly infectious personality. RIP.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Bloody hell, 52 I can't believe this, so young.

Up there is crickets hall of fame

RIP

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
At the Oval last year we watched England V India. I assume the rest of the commentators used an alternative route but Warne strutted round the side of the pitch looking at the crowd, reacting to the cheers and jeers with smiles, waves and"hellos". Everyone knew he was walking pitchside for the attention but I'm sure I'm not the only one there who's main memory of the day involves nov actual cricket just a very brief interaction with a legend.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
He and Malcolm Marshall are the best bowlers I've ever seen, not just quality bowling, but in the way they so enjoyed their cricket.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1499794370240954385[/tweet]

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Awful news. Such a talent, and he had the big personality to go with it. I'd have him in my all-time World Test XI.

R.I.P Warnie.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here