Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shane Duffy

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
3 experienced first team squad center backs is not enough for a squad chasing promotion in a 46 game season.

Hopefully we'll get 1 more addition in.

Indeed. We got lucky with Goldson last year, he could have been another Chicksen; turns out he'll end up in the Premier League one day. We need a 4th choice CB we can rely on as I imagine we'll have injuries and suspensions to deal with as we do now. Even if we do sign Duffy, I doubt CH will be picking from 4 available players very often.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Interesting post from a Blackburn fan, thinks we'd pay nowhere near £4m if he came here and reckons Duffy and Marshall have been treated very poorly by the club

"Someone behind the scenes isn't as stupid as some people think. Whoever is running affairs from the shadows (advising/instructing Venkys on what to accept and what to reject) clearly knows a thing or two about the importance of timing and numbers.

Selling Duffy for £1 million to Brighton the same week as Hanley was sold would have caused a riot. Selling Duffy for '£4 million' (yeah right) after he's delivered two catastrophically bad performances and 'rejected an improved contract offer' (another thing I don't believe has happened) then all of a sudden selling him becomes a lot more popular with the fanbase.

This has happened time and time again over the last few years and still people come out with the old mantra of 'we're better off without these sort' or 'we dont need them' or 'for that price we should snap their hands off'.

We won't be better off because their replacements will be loans or bargain bucket rubbish. We do need them because if managed properly they are part of a small and diminishing group of Championship standard players. The price we get is ultimately irrelevant to the football club because it won't benefit from a penny of it.

I'm sick and fed up with this."

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
On reflection I think I could see Duffy and Dunk as centre half pairing. Not sure it would work very well though? I think they might instinctively go or the same balls.

Like Hemed and Murray sometimes do up front.

NorthStandWren

Apr 20, 2016
Signing Duffy would bring the sort of competition that we have in cm. I would imagine we would rotate just as we have so far in midfield. It would leave us with 4 first team quality centre halves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Is this happening today then? He could make his debut on Tuesday perhaps.

I would stick my neck out and say it isn't happening.

Daily Mail categorically said it was.

I can definitely say he would not make his debut on Tuesday!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Unless Uwe is leaving I don't see the point. We will soon have 3 very good (when fit) CB's, and a very promising U23 CB, plus another promising CB on loan at Cambridge. Plus Hall.

On that basis I can't see how Duffy would be anything more than 4th choice or where he'd improve us.

ryans father

Jul 19, 2005
East Sheen SW14
Unless Uwe is leaving I don't see the point. We will soon have 3 very good (when fit) CB's, and a very promising U23 CB, plus another promising CB on loan at Cambridge. Plus Hall.

On that basis I can't see how Duffy would be anything more than 4th choice or where he'd improve us.

If last season proved one thing, its that you need great depth in all positions and this is accentuated this season with no loans

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
I would stick my neck out and say it isn't happening.

Daily Mail categorically said it was.

I can definitely say he would not make his debut on Tuesday!

If he officially signs on Sunday/Monday, could he not then play on Tuesday for us.
Blackburns game on Saturday would then be his one game ban served ????

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I just don't know how you keep them all happy.

Any 2nd choice player that causes fractions while the first team are winning isn't the right mentality.

All successful teams have numerous options in each position. We are now in a position to be like this. A side at the top of the championship will have very good players that cant make the squad , its football. Problems should only arise if the team is having nightmares on the pitch and they are still being over looked (and even then you'd expect players to not cause problems)

With CH manager , the amazing team spirit and the fact our recruitment process clearly identifies characters that wont upset the balance ... I don't know why we are so worried about it. As fans I sometimes think we are still stuck back in our Div 3 days . We are a top side now and we need quality and lots of it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Is this happening today then? He could make his debut on Tuesday perhaps.

If he officially signs on Sunday/Monday, could he not then play on Tuesday for us.
Blackburns game on Saturday would then be his one game ban served ????

He 100% would not play Tuesday, in the CO Cup - he played for Blackburn in the first round.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
We are not playing top trumps.Sooner or later we will get undone.
For 75% of last season our problem was seen to be that we didn't score enough goals but what ultimately cost us was we conceded to many goals.If we can cut out conceding stupid goals
This season then that might be the difference between going up or not going up.

Agreed.
Said all last season that defensive lapses were our main problem. On a number of occasions we were ahead, sometimes by two goals and then, instead of relaxing and stretching away, we promptly let a scruffy goal in and it was backs to the wall for the rest of the game. Often it was silly mistakes, not good goals carved out by the opposition. Concentration is the by-word.
Joint top goalscorers last season but Boro, Burnley and Hull were much tighter than us, particularly at home.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008

Promising centre backs are all well and good but if we had two lengthy injuries they might have to play 6/7 games. We need 2 proven players for each position like we have in midfield and on the wings.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
If last season proved one thing, its that you need great depth in all positions and this is accentuated this season with no loans

With 6 CB's plus Bruno, I think we have that covered. Also Ince. I think there are greater needs elsewhere.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Promising centre backs are all well and good but if we had two lengthy injuries they might have to play 6/7 games. We need 2 proven players for each position like we have in midfield and on the wings.

But on that basis wouldn't you say the greater need is a forward then.

We have plenty of cover at the back.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
With 6 CB's plus Bruno, I think we have that covered. Also Ince. I think there are greater needs elsewhere.

At this moment, we have one fit CB. He's already got one yellow card, and showed last season, quite capable of getting a red card.
When players come back after a long term injury, they get niggles for a few weeks, so not always completely fit and in form. We need to replace Greer.

I know we have White & Hall, but as last season showed, they will get their chance at some point, just like Goldson did.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here