Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shane Duffy - it's a DONE DEAL!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I know I will get slated but wouldnt we be better off with an old head like Wes Brown just to sit on the bench or be backup if needed or go to Arsenal Spurs or Chelsea to see what young players they have available for a loan rather than pay £4m. Why did we let GG go if that is the role that is envisaged for Duffy.

Who says that's the role Duffy would end up in..look at last year we started with GG and the German ..ended with Dunk and Goldson
You've dumped Lescott then?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Who says that's the role Duffy would end up in..look at last year we started with GG and the German ..ended with Dunk and Goldson
You've dumped Lescott then?
No I said Wes Brown on a short contract with an option to extend it but Lescott would fit the bill but less likely to take it up.

Can you honestly see Duffy outing either Dunk or Goldson and BFG unless of course a deal has been done to sell Dunk Goldson or BFG.

Jimmy Grimble

Shane Duffy

You have to think long term as well and realistically, if we don't go up this year, the likelihood is one of Dunk or Goldson will be off to the Prem. If we get promoted, then we'll need as much quality as possible and the money won't look as much of an issue. Either way Duffy will be useful.

That's not to mention that I don't think we can say for certain who CH's first choice pairing would be. He may well see Duffy as someone who'd come in and start ahead of the others.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I know I will get slated but wouldnt we be better off with an old head like Wes Brown just to sit on the bench or be backup if needed or go to Arsenal Spurs or Chelsea to see what young players they have available for a loan rather than pay £4m. Why did we let GG go if that is the role that is envisaged for Duffy.

He is at Blackburn on trial at the moment and has been injured all summer, just getting back to fitness. Played 60 mins on Monday, same boat as Uwe.

Maybe we made that offer to GG and he decided that he didn't want to be 4th choice centre back at his age.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
No I said Wes Brown on a short contract with an option to extend it but Lescott would fit the bill but less likely to take it up.

Can you honestly see Duffy outing either Dunk or Goldson and BFG unless of course a deal has been done to sell Dunk Goldson or BFG.

Nope..but then at the time I wouldn't have said that about Goldson ..gut says no for sure but one never knows in football

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

It's always hard to say though. Who would have thought at the start of December last year that Goldson would be undoubted first choice centre back at the end of the season but things change. With no loan window this year, we do need quality options who can come in and Hughton has shown that he's happy to use the full squad e.g. a number of changes across central midfield this season.

The other crucial point is that Huhnemeier and Goldson have both been out for a while. If we don't sign a quality alternative and one of them gets a recurrence after the transfer window shuts, we don't want to be short at centre back.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Would you say the same about the CB of Gibralter Andorra etc. Reading have signed Blackett from United there must be simailar about at other clubs not likely to make the 1st team.

Ireland is a world away from those international sides though. He's got a lot of championship experience and around £4m seems reasonable for a player at 24. Blackett couldn't even get in to the Celtic side.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Is there another Goldson lurking in the lower Division worth taking a chance on rather than spend £4m on a possible bench warmer

It's not that easy,though is it BG?
We have been very lucky with Goldson, a very good second half of the season, but he's young and he may still not maintain the very high standard he has set,so far.
Mica Richards was a world beater at 18, and well beaten five years later, so, it's always a risk to take young lower league players, as we found with Maximento(?) and Chicksen.
Also, every club at our level, and even some above, are going along this route, so competition is very strong.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Without reading this thread I predict many claim he is "rubbish" or "overpriced" based on the own goals.....totally ignoring the likelihood that they've probably barely ever watched him play.

I also predict one of those is BensGrandad.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Without reading this thread I predict many claim he is "rubbish" or "overpriced" based on the own goals.....totally ignoring the likelihood that they've probably barely ever watched him play.
Like most on here , not being a Blackburn fan have only seen him against us or on TV and must say that hasnt left a good impression obviously the club will have watched him much more so would be better informed.but this is a discussion forum for people to air their views be they right or wrong.

Loftslaces

Apr 6, 2016
Graffham
Is someone mentioning Wes Brown........ seriously Wes Brown....... honestly Wes bloody Brown........ funny guy :ffsparr:

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
£4M for a 4th choice CB with an attitude problem. Utterly ridiculous. I'd sooner have White and Ince as cover than this complete waster.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here