Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Serious question for the Palace fans on here.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I can't really see there being a step up in attendance with a new ground. There's just too many alternatives in the London area and it's not as if people are being kept away by playing miles away or in an athletics track with no roof and miles from the pitch.

Whilst Selhurst is a shit hole it can still generate a good atmosphere and hold more than they can attract - a shiny new stadium is surely not gonna make the difference required. A couple of thousand initially but surely not much more and nowhere near enough to make it a profitable move.

I am surprised at the level of interest and commitment in the Albion in all honesty - BUT there is a valid explanation regarding catchment area, previous years restrictions (and that we're Brighton for god sake!)

What have palace got???

Crenol

Jan 22, 2012
This is not unique to Palace though sadly.

I grew up 12 miles north of Brighton and would say the vast majority of people I grew up with are either sofa supporters or Chelsea fans.

It's the modern way unfortunately.

Yeah didn't mean it just for us, was just a point about why attendances are falling. At least in Brighton you are the biggest club in your area though, we have so many to compete with and let's face it, to a 12 year old we aren't as attractive as watching Chelsea win every week.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
They will stick with Freedman regardless. He saved us last year, but i think some fans wonder if he is the man to take us to the next level.

Early days for these managers. They have to be allowed to make mistakes and change and progress. That is what this season is all about for us. Gus to learn about the championship under no real pressure. Gus has already developed his football philosophy - maybe Freedman's is work in progress.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
our last year attendance was far worse than crystal palace..
The hype of playing in the championship,new stadium and gus has brought a lot of old and new fans back
tho i wouldnt be suprised if we stay in this division for more than 2-3 years,the attendance will drop...

so why do people keep moaning about attendances?

We SOLD OUT most games last season - certainly the 2nd half of the season with us doing well and the amex factor kicking in a little, so you cannot compare our attendances for that reason. Also, as much as Selhurst is a shit hole, it is still at least an actual stadium with 4 real stands. Withdean cannot be compared to anything else - out in the rain miles from the pitch etc etc. There really can't be comparisons made from our last 15 yrs attendances IMO - the club lost a generation and hasn't played in a real home for FOURTEEN years. most Palace fans have been admitting their disappointment at their attendances and in particular last nights. BHA have moved on to a level playing field now and whilst I agree in 3 or 4 yrs time the true attendances will tell etc, we musn't dismiss how well we've done to sell out the amex every week this season. It's massive for little old BHA...!

Jan 12, 2012
Its been proven that when a club moves to a new stadium, they will increase their attendance.
If Palace do, it remains to be seen,but there is no doubting that Selhurst is on its last legs. The football isnt great atm, i think Freedmans mentality from last season ( score one, then hold on ) has carried on this season.
I hope once we are safe, we will play a more attacking formation, because we've got the players to do it.

Red'n'Blue

Jan 6, 2011
All fair points, do you think ticket pricing might play its part too. I know a hell of a lot of people in the area that would consider themselves Palace fans but are discouraged by the relatively high ticket prices.

Can i ask what the most expensive ticket at the amex is?

CPFC1234

Banned
Oct 26, 2011
ON A DERSERTED ISLAND
I can't really see there being a step up in attendance with a new ground. There's just too many alternatives in the London area and it's not as if people are being kept away by playing miles away or in an athletics track with no roof and miles from the pitch.

Whilst Selhurst is a shit hole it can still generate a good atmosphere and hold more than they can attract - a shiny new stadium is surely not gonna make the difference required. A couple of thousand initially but surely not much more and nowhere near enough to make it a profitable move.

I am surprised at the level of interest and commitment in the Albion in all honesty - BUT there is a valid explanation regarding catchment area, previous years restrictions (and that we're Brighton for god sake!)

What have palace got???

Well considering we got 25-26K in the prem, i think your very wrong, i would fully expect our attendances (Like yours) to rocket IF we Built a New Stadium, Or a redeveloped Selhurst for that matter. We have a large fan Base, and true Brighton fans know it, Just Because they dont show doesnt men there not "Bothered" either.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'm 17 and was there last night as well as down at the AMEX. I said yesterday that it was the second biggest game of our season behind the away game against you but many people, especially people in my age group saw the cup semi final as a much bigger game so if they only go to a few games a year would choose that. I think the main thing is though that Championship football is the norm for us and doesn't have the excitement that is needed to attract higher attendances. If we got promoted then attendances would rise; if we got a nice shiny new stadium then they would rise slightly but not as much as if we got promoted. It's all so easy for kids in London though to decide to take the easy option and support any of Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, Fulham, QPR, West Ham or be even worse and become a sofa supporter of Man U, City or Liverpool. Football on tv actually hurts our fan base I think as people prefer to "support" a club that wins from home rather than going to support the local team.

You see, much as we're rivals etc I have so much more respect for someone like you, especially at your age. Once all the banter etc is done, I actually have about 10 or so mates who are Palace and I have more respect for them for supporting their local team (where they were brought up or family connections etc) than any glory supporter or armchair fan. Good post.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

I think (cant be arsed to look) early 30 quids which is probably comparable but much of Palace's catchment area is IMO much left afluent. Anyone living Croydon for example will probably agree the area is in a slight decline, many people are skint.

Oct 25, 2003
Selhurst: Its a shithole. The fans know it, the owners know it. Hence why we want to move. As Brighton fans have said, a shit stadium turns people off going to the game. A Poll done on our forum today shows people would rather go to away games then home games.

i find this unbelievable coming from a palace fan, considering how much stick we've received from you lot for exactly the same thing (and selhurst is clearly better than withdean was)

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Well considering we got 25-26K in the prem, i think your very wrong, i would fully expect our attendances (Like yours) to rocket IF we Built a New Stadium, Or a redeveloped Selhurst for that matter. We have a large fan Base, and true Brighton fans know it, Just Because they dont show doesnt men there not "Bothered" either.

The grown-ups are talking.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
If Palace had a shiny new 30,000 seater stadium, im pretty sure our crowds would be very similar in size

Oct 25, 2003
I think (cant be arsed to look) early 30 quids which is probably comparable but much of Palace's catchment area is IMO much left afluent. Anyone living Croydon for example will probably agree the area is in a slight decline, many people are skint.

a lot of brighton's support comes from places like coldean and moulscoomb which are hardly affluent

yes, there's money in brighton but a lot of the people with money are those that moved down from london (and therefore probably don't support brighton)

imo, like (i don't know much about the croydon area)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
local area doesnt have so many fans left, cost of tickets, shit stadium, confessed low excitment footballing fare and, lets face it just not a fashionable club. i used to live down in Sutton and you'd see more AFC Wimbleson shirts than CP.

mostly you'd see Chelsea though.

I look at the actual attendances of the club up the road that has similar issues and a much nicer stadium, Millwall, and i note its much the same. less than 10k for London derby themselves, and only 1k more for their game against CP than us last night. so im not sure the stadium will do much, the football style changes, so really its down to the local demographics, image and costs methinks. im sure there would be a boost by a new stadium, how long that lasts i dont know (and we've yet to see for ourselfs).

Last edited:

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

Oct 25, 2003
local area doesnt have so many fans left, cost of tickets, shit stadium, confessed low excitment footballing fare and, lets face it just not a fashionable club. i used to live down in Sutton and you'd see more AFC Wimbleson shirts than CP.

mostly you'd see Chelsea though.

I look at the actual attendances of the club up the road that has similar issues and a much nicer stadium, Millwall, and i note its much the same. less than 10k for London derby themselves, and only 1k more for their game against CP than us last night. so im not sure the stadium will do much, the football style changes, so really its down to the local demographics, image and costs methinks. im sure there would be a boost by a new stadium, how long that lasts i dont know (and we've yet to see for ourselfs).

didn't millwall ban about half of their fanbase though?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here