Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Sell By Dates

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I'm sure most of you are aware off the egg test but if not here it is...

Put the egg in a bowl of water.

If it lies flat it's fresh. Suitable for anything including raw. Will hold nicely for a runny fried egg.
It it stand on it's end fine for baking, scrambled, omelettes. Membrane on yolk might not hold for runny fried egg.
If it floats not suitable for eating, bin it or throw it at a politician

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
i think we are all to used to being spoonfed everything, and are starting to lose common sense and can not think for ourselves.

with the vast majority of us having freezers the dates on any freezable items becomes meaningless anyway. I quite often put half a pack of things in the freezer as I know I cant use it in time. With a lot of items its easy to see, smell and taste items that are going off. I would suggest its almost impossible not to notice milk on the turn for example. Usually milk, cheese etc will last well past its dates if stored properly in a fridge and not left out on the worktops after using some.Cheese i will cut away any spoiled pieces and use the rest- Same with veg and fruit. Canned food will generally last for ages

The idea that anyone throws anything out simply because a best before or use by date is crazy to me, use some common sense and see whether its ok regardless of arbitrary dates

This thread made me go through my cupboard and I found a half eaten box if cornflakes a year out if date, gone soggy so binned, a tin if oxtail soup with use buy July 2019.! Had it for tea, still here and a rather nasty looking bag of rice which had been opened but not used and looked rather oily and made me retch. It also gave me an excuse to give the food cupboard a proper clean with a new strip of lining paper!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
This thread made me go through my cupboard and I found a half eaten box if cornflakes a year out if date, gone soggy so binned, a tin if oxtail soup with use buy July 2019.! Had it for tea, still here and a rather nasty looking bag of rice which had been opened but not used and looked rather oily and made me retch. It also gave me an excuse to give the food cupboard a proper clean with a new strip of lining paper!

when we cleared out our pantry a few years ago, for the new kitchen etc, I found stuff which had been in 2 or 3 houses. . . .including a bottle of ouzo, 20 years old.

I actually threw alcohol away!

I'm over it now. . . . . NURSE!

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
This resides in my fridge and is still being used. :)
279525633_5482758341744794_8586105821829432976_n.jpg

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm sure most of you are aware off the egg test but if not here it is...

Put the egg in a bowl of water.

If it lies flat it's fresh. Suitable for anything including raw. Will hold nicely for a runny fried egg.
It it stand on it's end fine for baking, scrambled, omelettes. Membrane on yolk might not hold for runny fried egg.
If it floats not suitable for eating, bin it or throw it at a politician

I'm not sure if the floating thing is overplayed a bit. Basically an egg has an air sack that gets bigger as it ages. A floating egg will tell you it is older, but it isn't definitive the egg can't be eaten. If you crack a floating egg open and it is odourless, then you can fairly confident it's fine to eat still.

https://eggsafety.org/floating-eggs-a-bad-egg-or-just-buoyant/

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
A neat little trick from Tesco (smaller stores) who now won't sell the small (1 pint) milk any longer. If I am forced to buy the larger size I'm only half through it before it goes off so I am wasting milk and having a larger plastic container to dispose of.

Yes. This is the same Tesco that took all its "own brand" products offline for deliveries during lockdown (so instead of buying a 40p can of own brand baked beans you had to pay 85p for Heinz.)

Clever buggers eh?

Freeze what you don't immediately need and use up accordingly.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Eggs are usually fine these days unless absolutely minging when you crack them . .Chicken can be dodgy so yes, take care....as for seafood, always take care, never trust Mussels, Clams, Cockles as they can be full of shit, literally!

And the reason local Mussels always taste better. Who'd want to eat someone else's shit :sick:

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
We knew an old gent who I once saw was half way through eating a packet of 'fresh' (ie not frozen) sausages - only about 5 months out of date! They looked remarkably like sausages, and not like Smurf fingers, which is what I would have expected.

Yoda

English & European
Eggs are usually fine these days unless absolutely minging when you crack them . .Chicken can be dodgy so yes, take care....as for seafood, always take care, never trust Mussels, Clams, Cockles as they can be full of shit, literally!

There's a test you can do for eggs. Place them in water and if they stand on end, they are about to turn. If they lie on their side, they are fine still.

eggfloattest.jpg

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Having done many food hygiene courses at work you can get over paranoid (as I think they are) beacuse it is drummed into you. One instructor said they would never ever eat food at a wedding (or funeral re the OP) buffet under any circumstances. Seemed a bit extreme. The work fridge was never at the right temperature for them (as it was being opened all the time by clients)and having to record the "correct" fridge temperatures was a nightmare.

I've never had food poisoning - with the exception of the one time I let my guard down at the night market in Marrakesh and accepted and ate a snail offered (just being British and polite without thinking :facepalm: I did though refuse a later offer on my travels of water from a ladel.... straight out of the Ganges).

Milk and bread is easy. Salad can be quite dangerous in those pre packed bags when left to go a bit slimey inside...

I do have a couple of friends who leave a take-out curry overnight on the side and eat it in the morning, is that common place on NSC? Personally, I wouldn't do that because of all the yeast growth on it in that time.. but they say they never have any bad effects.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I do have a couple of friends who leave a take-out curry overnight on the side and eat it in the morning, is that common place on NSC? Personally, I wouldn't do that because of all the yeast growth on it in that time.. but they say they never have any bad effects.

I love leftover curry in the morning, but I always chuck it in the fridge, overnight, once it's cooled down.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Remove all dates, might kill off some idiots with any luck.

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here