Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Sell By Dates

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Most things you can see/smell whether they are ok. I would be a little wary of chicken/eggs/seafood (although you should still be able to smell it), particularly if not cooking thoroughly. Apart from a couple of dodgy fish episodes, normally in countries warmer than ours, I've survived thus far :wink:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I noticed milk in New York had a sell by date which was five days earlier than if it was sold in adjacent States. Couldn't really take it seriously after that

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Nostalgia.

It’s just not what it used to be, is it?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think there are many things I would give the sell by date the benefit of the doubt by a couple of days, save for possibly chicken and seafood.

I did see Morrison’s are taking (or may already have done so) the use by date off their milk, trusting customers to use their eyes and noses to make personal choice!
Good news for Morrisons too...If no Best Before date it can't go out of date so therefore they don't have to discount it or take it off the shelves

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
If it smells OK, consume it.

I tend to ignore them. Easy enough to tell by appearance/smell whether food is still ok.

These.

I've consumed many an item that has supposedly been past it's best weeks before – grapes are a classic example – and they are absolutely fine. If it passed the smell test, then taste it. If it passes the taste test, knock yourself out.

I'm baffled by people who think that things are no good anymore the minute the clock strikes midnight on the day after the 'use by' date. Nutters.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
These.

I've consumed many an item that has supposedly been past it's best weeks before – grapes are a classic example – and they are absolutely fine. If it passed the smell test, then taste it. If it passes the taste test, knock yourself out.

I'm baffled by people who think that things are no good anymore the minute the clock strikes midnight on the day after the 'use by' date. Nutters.

Every year my wife tries to throw the Christmas Blue Cheese out mid January, as its mouldy!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
These.

there are some grapes in our fridge, 2 months out of date, perfect for smoothies still, I found them yesterday . . . .behind the 3 day out of date but perfectly good ham I shared with the dog.

theres grape juice years old in bottles too, bloody delicious. :thumbsup:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Most things you can see/smell whether they are ok. I would be a little wary of chicken/eggs/seafood (although you should still be able to smell it), particularly if not cooking thoroughly. Apart from a couple of dodgy fish episodes, normally in countries warmer than ours, I've survived thus far :wink:
Eggs are usually fine these days unless absolutely minging when you crack them . .Chicken can be dodgy so yes, take care....as for seafood, always take care, never trust Mussels, Clams, Cockles as they can be full of shit, literally!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
If mouldy, toast it.:thumbsup:

Agreed If I'm down to the last few slices and need something to perch poached eggs on, pick the bits off and go for it!

I agree Chicken and [molluscs can be dodgy, pork too.

most fish and prawns just need a rinse and whiff test.

even if meat is past its prime as long as it'ss annihilated it wo'nt harm you. . . . .BBQ'd or curried for 25 hrs for example

Last edited:

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
Health and safety as usual.

Same as when they tell you to cook a small chicken for 2 hours when it takes 1.

And as for not defrosting and re freezing meat what load of tosh perfectly healthy if your careful

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Agreed If I'm down to the last few slices and need something to perch poached eggs on, pick the bits off and go for it!

I agree Chicken and [molluscs can be dodgy, pork too.

most fish and prawns just need a rinse and whiff test.

even if meat is past its prime as long as it'ss annihilated it wo'nt harm you. . . . .BBQ'd or curried for 25 hrs for example

Sorry, somethings just come up. I won't be able to come round for lunch today....

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
These.

My mother in law (bless her) was like that. We'd pop in to visit her, and she'd cleared out three or four things from her larder, and said 'These are out of date today, so you can have them'.
So, we took the items and ate/drank them over the course of the next week or so, without any harm.

We called it 'pumpkin food.'

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Is what they deem to be a ‘shelf life’ actually counter productive because as a nation we throw away huge amounts of food that could actually still be consumed?

In the past, and continuing into the future, we have taken leftover funeral buffets down to the homeless with the caveat that they have had to have been laid out for less than 3 hours, so it’s always 2hrs 50mins. 👍

And when I was a kid bread and milk didn’t have sell by dates, if the bread went stale the birds got it and if the milk smelt allright you still drank it.

'Modern' bread doesn't go stale though, it goes mouldy. This mould can produce a deadly toxin.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I will generally use things a couple of days after the "use by" date...just a quick check usually determines if its ok to eat still. Same with "best before" stuff...you can usually use that for a while if its kept properly.
My wife however - wont touch a thing if its a day past its use by or best before dates. Chucks it straight out. Annoys the hell out of me :ffsparr:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here