Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Seeking a Small Claim Against a Company

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I recently moved house and sent a couple of boxes of stuff to my new address (rather than hire a car and move everything myself). The courier tampered with one of the parcels, and a £30 blender has disappeared. It happened just over two weeks ago. The courier (well-known company) has given me the run-around. Their phone calls automatically disconnect me. The online forms don't work (technical glitches) and there's no email address provided.

There's a £35 fee for the small claim, but I'm wondering if I can reclaim this if the decision goes in my favour. Am I being impatient? Shoiuld I swallow my pride and give up? Does anyone with experience of pursuing these claims have any advice? Thanks in advance.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I recently moved house and sent a couple of boxes of stuff to my new address (rather than hire a car and move everything myself). The courier tampered with one of the parcels, and a £30 blender has disappeared. It happened just over two weeks ago. The courier (well-known company) has given me the run-around. Their phone calls automatically disconnect me. The online forms don't work (technical glitches) and there's no email address provided.

There's a £35 fee for the small claim, but I'm wondering if I can reclaim this if the decision goes in my favour. Am I being impatient? Shoiuld I swallow my pride and give up? Does anyone with experience of pursuing these claims have any advice? Thanks in advance.

Yes you can add the claim fee to the value of your claim.
Most likely you are throwing good money after bad, get judgment and it’s under the value to enforce and a big company is unlikely to be bothered about a CCJ.
Go down the complaint route and if that fails write the money off and don’t use that company again

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Slag them off on social media. If that doesn’t get a response, slag them off some more and then walk away.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money says you may be able to get your fee back if you win.

Firstly, though, write (a real, physical letter) to the company setting out exactly what your claim is and requesting recompense. Send it recorded delivery.
If there's no response send a "final letter before action", setting out all the ways you have tried to resolve the matter, why you are dissatisfied with their response and that if you don't hear within 14 days you will commence court action.

It sounds daunting but it isn't difficult and most companies fold before it gets to court.
If you want help with drafting a letter, PM me.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Personally, I wouldn’t consider a small claims court process for this sort of situation. Follow the company’s official complaints process, as others have advised. If that doesn’t work, try the social media route. Good luck!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Too smaller value for small claims as suggested bad social media normally get companies to respond

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017

I’d follow the advice given by others on here ie. Don’t go through the small claims court for something this small. I did it once and got a huge amount of satisfaction in getting a judgement against the company - that was the easy bit, getting my money back from them was more difficult and I gave up.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Nothing grates more than having your food processor stolen.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It’s enough to drive you round the blend.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Thanks for the advice. I'm too much of an introvert to go spouting off on social media, but I will take on board the advice to keep on harrying them to do the right thing.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Sauce?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Send them a statutory demand https://www.gov.uk/statutory-demands/forms-to-issue-a-statutory-demand via recorded delivery

It costs you nothing. It gives them 21 days to either pay up or respond. If they do neither then you have at least initiated a formal process which MIGHT elicit a response from them, and gives you an avenue to follow up on should you choose.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here