Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Secondary Debate - Kingston: London or Surrey?

Albion Rob

Can't be bothered to do a poll but just wondering which it is.

Conventionally, I would think London but Surrey CC has its HQ there and it appears as Surrey on letters.

Confusing.

Albion Rob said:
Can't be bothered to do a poll but just wondering which it is.

Conventionally, I would think London but Surrey CC has its HQ there and it appears as Surrey on letters.

Confusing.
I used to go regularly to Surrey County Hall for meetings. The place is a classic local government building - full of dark corridors and brown wooden doors.

Surrey County Council have been promising for years that they would move their HQ into the county. But they've never done so, and I guess they can't even agree which town to put it in. I suppose Guildford would be favourite.

Kingston, though, is so much easier to reach (unless you live in Surrey!) and is a much more civilised place than any of the other possible locations. So I guess that this oddity will be with us for a few more years.

Albion Rob

Re: Re: Secondary Debate - Kingston: London or Surrey?

Lord Bracknell said:
I used to go regularly to Surrey County Hall for meetings. The place is a classic local government building - full of dark corridors and brown wooden doors.

Surrey County Council have been promising for years that they would move their HQ into the county. But they've never done so, and I guess they can't even agree which town to put it in. I suppose Guildford would be favourite.

Kingston, though, is so much easier to reach (unless you live in Surrey!) and is a much more civilised place than any of the other possible locations. So I guess that this oddity will be with us for a few more years.

With that in mind, would it be London then?

Regarding relocation - there will be plenty of space for them at GOSE soon.

The Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames is a London Borough. The people of Kingston upon Thames vote for the Mayor of London.

They haven't been represented by Surrey County Council since 1965.

Albion Rob

Lord Bracknell said:
The Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames is a London Borough. The people of Kingston upon Thames vote for the Mayor of London.

They haven't been represented by Surrey County Council since 1965.

Cool, cheers for that.

Loads of London Boroughs have bits that used to be part of counties before 1965:-

Barking and Dagenham - Essex
Barnet - Hertfordshire & Middlesex
Bexley - Kent
Brent - Middlesex
Bromley - Kent
Croydon - Surrey
Ealing - Middlesex
Enfield - Middlesex
Haringey - Middlesex
Harrow - Middlesex
Havering - Essex
Hillingdon - Middlesex
Hounslow - Middlesex
Kingston upon Thames - Surrey
Merton - Surrey
Newham - Essex
Redbridge - Essex
Richmond upon Thames - Surrey & Middlesex
Sutton - Surrey
Waltham Forest - Essex

Last edited:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
There is also Kingston upon Hull, not particularly nice at any time of the year, unless you are John Prescott reading this, in which case I like to refer to it at the Paris of the north.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Surrey County Coucil are starting to move their centre of operations to Guildford. I had an interview up there last year.

In true local government tradition it's a mess.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
i like Kingston Upon Thames does seem to have alot of london wannabes

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
I have a KT1 post code and always write Surrey in the address, but I always consider it to be part of London as I pay London Council taxes, vote in the London Mayoral and council elections and the real clincher for me is that it's part of Zone 6 for London public transport.

Can't say I care whether I'm a Londoner wannabe or not. :p It just feels like London to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here