Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

seagulls search for a striker ,,comments by S H.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
It's very De Ja Vu - difficult to find a decent available striker ? Hopefully we'll get one in January ? History really does repeat itself.

the answer is obvious, if we can get over the fact we'll have to pay a little for a player Poyet let walk for nothing.

Glenn Murray is available in January, lives in Brighton, Mrs from Brighton, will be superb at this level for us for another couple of years, is the physical striker O'Grady can only dream of being, is nothing like CMS or Baldock and is a better proven scorer at this level than all of them, it took a while to replace him with the similar type of player in Ulloa and we havent replaced either of them since. I reckon he may be persuaded, and as the palace fans deem him a legend, i'm guessing an ensuing BBS meltdown if he came back.

it all adds up........

#bringbackmuzza

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
It was obvious from January that Ulloa would be off in the summer, we have had almost a year to sort out a replacement but we don't even seem close.

What are you hoping for miracles? Adam El Abd did leave in January and we still hav'nt replaced him hence we've had to bring in yet another loan player. I would have hoped the play off game at Derby was a lesson in the need for 4 centre backs but it doesn't seem to be a lesson we've learned from.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
It was obvious from January that Ulloa would be off in the summer, we have had almost a year to sort out a replacement but we don't even seem close.

Not only was it obvious Ulloa would be off in the summer, it was also obvious that the club weren't too interested in keeping our other striker of that ilk in Barnes. In my opinion, neither have been replaced sufficiently. Ulloa is understandable (to a degree) as he was a Premier League striker in all but name, but we knew Barnes was leaving, had 6 MONTHS to find a suitable replacement and we get O'Grady? Come on...

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
True, but they are paid professionals. Their egos should not need to be massaged in order to get them to do their jobs.

Disagree. Yes they are [very well] paid professionals. But everyone is impacted by negativity surrounding them at work. Go to an office or factory, say the word "redundancies" and watch morale plummet. These are guys who have chosen to put themselves in the limelight for a career, you don't do that if you are a shrinking violet. They all have massive egos, they would be working in an office and playing in a pub team if the didn't. A little massaging would actually go a long way - you might not want to do it, but unfortunately, it is necessary for the manager to big up his players sometimes, even if they under performing!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
This whole striker thing is just a bit odd for me.

If Baldock was missing chances left, right and centre then perhaps I'd get it.

However I genuinely cant remember more than one "missed" chance. The other time he's had a chance he took it....and that was a piece of luck that it fell to him. No build up play there.

To put it basically, I don't think it would matter if we even had Ulloa up there. We're not creating chances for strikers to miss.

It seems very naive to look at a lack of goals and assume its a lack of quality strikers. Especially with, say, Colunga. The one time we put a striker actually through on goal and he finishes superbly.

Would I complain if we get in another striker? Absolutely not. But I would be more concerned if I've not seen a change in chance creation between now and then.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

However I genuinely cant remember more than one "missed" chance. The other time he's had a chance he took it....and that was a piece of luck that it fell to him. No build up play there.

To put it basically, I don't think it would matter if we even had Ulloa up there. We're not creating chances for strikers to miss.

It seems very naive to look at a lack of goals and assume its a lack of quality strikers. Especially with, say, Colunga. The one time we put a striker actually through on goal and he finishes superbly.

Would I complain if we get in another striker? Absolutely not. But I would be more concerned if I've not seen a change in chance creation between now and then.

Very true , Warren Aspinall has continually noted this on the commentaries, apart from the chance when McCourt slotted it across the 6 yard box how many gilt edged chances are we creating ?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

This is very true, however if we had a forward that could actually hold onto the ball and get our side 20 yards further up the pitch we would create more decent opportunities for all of our attacking players.
Also Baldock is not missing chances because he isnt actually getting into goal scoring positions, several great crosses and cut backs came into the box saturday and he was no where to be seen

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
I listened to the post match interview on Radio Sussex after the Blackburn game. In it Sami was being questioned about a forward coming in on loan and when that may occur. Sami stated "that was not his decision"....

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
This is very true, however if we had a forward that could actually hold onto the ball and get our side 20 yards further up the pitch we would create more decent opportunities for all of our attacking players.

That's a very fair point.

Part of the reason I went MENTAL on Saturday was when (far too late, mind) O'Grady was ready to come on.

"Oh good", I thought.
"At least now he can free up Baldock and allow him to run on beyond him".

No. Hyypia did a straight swap. I was NOT pleased.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

Do you mean just on Saturday or the whole season, i'm sure on Saturday, as well as the chance he missed there were two occasions when he had enough of opening that he should have at least had a shot but dawdled and lost it.

And as someone else there were other opportunities that would have fallen to him if he'd made a run.
I know he has a good record at League 1 but at the moment he looks like someone filling in as a striker, he seems completely unaware of where he should be or what he should do, and lacks any drive when he has the ball in a decent position

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Doesn't sound very promising and the more I read SH's thoughts the more I worry about us this season. Is he more interesting or inspiring in the flesh?

This, he appears to be hoping on hope that things will turn around and that the forwards we have will start scoring. I am v worried.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
This was his radio interview after the match on Saturday. He sounded very dull and uninspiring.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Do you mean just on Saturday or the whole season, i'm sure on Saturday, as well as the chance he missed there were two occasions when he had enough of opening that he should have at least had a shot but dawdled and lost it.

And as someone else there were other opportunities that would have fallen to him if he'd made a run.
I know he has a good record at League 1 but at the moment he looks like someone filling in as a striker, he seems completely unaware of where he should be or what he should do, and lacks any drive when he has the ball in a decent position

This. Unaware and indecisive... but I think this describes all our team in the opponent's half this season. Even from set pieces, there seems no understanding between the players "in the box" (or who should be in the box!) and whoever is putting the ball in. We've had some great, dangerous balls crossing goal in almost every game this season and yet no-one is there on the end of it. You can blame the midfield for a cr*p delivery or the striker for not being there but the result is the same!

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
the answer is obvious, if we can get over the fact we'll have to pay a little for a player Poyet let walk for nothing.

Glenn Murray is available in January, lives in Brighton, Mrs from Brighton, will be superb at this level for us for another couple of years, is the physical striker O'Grady can only dream of being, is nothing like CMS or Baldock and is a better proven scorer at this level than all of them, it took a while to replace him with the similar type of player in Ulloa and we havent replaced either of them since. I reckon he may be persuaded, and as the palace fans deem him a legend, i'm guessing an ensuing BBS meltdown if he came back.

it all adds up........

#bringbackmuzza

Just maybe he doesn't want to come back!

Or maybe Tony Bloom doesn't want him back!

Lots of variables to consider.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here