Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Schoolboy goalkeeping.

theboybilly

No it wasn't. It's simply Stockdale's fault. Stockdale covered his area. But then moved away from it. The ball was hit almost straight at his original position. That would not have beaten many keepers in the league, the whole league!

But his original position wasn't the right place to be. It's all very well with hindsight knowing now where the ball ended up but if Stockdale had stayed hard to his right Kermogan would have had all of the other side of the goal to aim for. And now to compound the absurdity we have people not only saying Stockdale should have saved it he should have made an easy catch! For what it's worth I can't think of any Albion free-kick being struck so well this season save Holla's against the bar at The Den. Interestingly nobody in the Albion camp is apportioning blame on the 'keeper.

The free kick itself was unnecessary as far as I could see. It was at the other end but it seemed to me the defender (?Ince?) tripped the attacker who wasn't going anywhere, just across the goal rather than towards it. Any team that gives away unnecessary free kicks in that area is asking for trouble.

And with the disorganisation of the wall we certainly got it. CH and NJ were going potty as the wall formed up.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
But his original position wasn't the right place to be. It's all very well with hindsight knowing now where the ball ended up but if Stockdale had stayed hard to his right Kermogan would have had all of the other side of the goal to aim for. And now to compound the absurdity we have people not only saying Stockdale should have saved it he should have made an easy catch! For what it's worth I can't think of any Albion free-kick being struck so well this season save Holla's against the bar at The Den. Interestingly nobody in the Albion camp is apportioning blame on the 'keeper.
He took up the correct position then moved. You may disagree sobeit I however am right.

When coaching keepers you spend a huge amount of time getting them to appreciate angles and especially at freekicks your position and that of your wall. He correctly positioned the wall and as I stated correctly positioned himself. He then moved.

Keepers are'always coached firstly cover their side of the goal. If the shot is good enough to get up and over the wall you are then expected to react. Stockdale made the decision to move to his left prior to the shot thus completely exposing his side. If it went top corner, fine, it didn't it went directly to where Stockdale once was.

CH has stated he needs to look at it again as it went in on the keepers side. Suggests he also questions Stockdale.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007

You can never say with 100% certainty where a free kick is going to be struck, obviously, but that's the whole point of the wall. To position a wall and then at the very last moment step behind it is a very strange thing to do. Obviously it could have gone that way and then he would have been in the right place, but it's a case of percentage chances, and goalkeepers make a wall to force the taker into producing an unlikely shot to get it up and over. There's no point in having the wall if you're going to cover that side as well.

Juror#13

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
Yes tell us all the 'mistakes' in those 40 I'm on the edge of my seat in anticipation

I'm not the one who has to prove if he's shit or not. We all know he's crap and shouldn't be in the squad. You could have a cardboard cut out in goal and that cut out would safe more as his shot stops are straight at him.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Stockdale increasingly looks like he will be the second choice goalie next season.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Stockdale increasingly looks like he will be the second choice goalie next season.

Who is going to be first choice? We'll probably sell Walton if we get a decent bid. Our biggest problem is the strikers not the goal keeper.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I just can't see that at all. Stockdale's form over the second half of this season has been a major factor in us having the breathing space from the relegation places that we do right now.

He didn't have the best of starts with us, but he's clearly a player that needs an arm around his shoulder to help give him confidence, and he's had that since Chris Hughton arrived at the club. The subsequent upturn in form is unlikely to be just a coincidence.

He's also a big team man and is one I'd put up there with the likes of Calde and Kayal as players who I think really 'get it' and care.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
No shocks he's questioned again . He's at times decent but will cost us again and then again and then again and so on . He is less costly than ankergen . But more costly than kuzack . I think we need better but I think we won't replace him unfortunately .

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Exactly. A small error/misjudgment and we conceded. It was not as bad an error as Halford playing their guy ondside for the second goal, or Best's tame shot when through on goal or Dunk charging upfield and losing the ball or no-one covering him when he did or...

Dunk didn't lose the ball. He broke upfield and played a 1-2 with CMS but the return pass went to a Bournemouth player leaving Dunk stranded upfield. Halford then did a neat little pirouette in the area while the B'mouth player picked his spot (between Stockdale's legs).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Hughton has a decision to make Tuesday, does he say enough is enough and bring in Walton or does he support DS and continue with him. I think he will play him rather than throw in a youngster and put pressure on him. Whether he sees him as No1 next season is a different matter and if so a vast improvement is needed pre season.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I find to astonishing that people are able to write so much guff defending Stockdale in this case. He's not,a bad keeper, he's fine to have in the team, but he made a howler there. What's the point of the wall if you step behind it when the ball is struck? When we see it again, I'm confident that the replays showed that it was a very quick and silly step to his left for no obvious reason and then he was scrambling back to the right. Very odd thing to do.

Oh and I'm not really sure why people are having a go at Dunk on this one. The bloke was as good as clean through, and Dunk took one for the team. Defenders do it week in and week out, and the balance of probability on scoring the free kick meant it was probably a good decision. Dunk couldn't have predicted such poor keeping.

Unfortunately Dunk taking one for the team ends up as a goal rather too often.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Unless we luck out and the opportunity to sign some amazing keeper falls in our laps in the summer, there is no doubt that Stockdale will be first choice next season. Anyone suggesting otherwise is simply wrong. It's not going to be a position we look to strengthen (beyond, perhaps, a third new third choice keeper).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here